The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If I remember my history correctly, mathematics really didn't exist until the Arabic form of numbers came along. Just simple tallies. But this is getting off topic.

Eh depends on your perspective I guess but this is mostly false. Egyptians and Sumerians were doing complicated math thousands of years before Arabic numerals were around.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Concept of a numerical zero first appeared in India, 458 A.D.

Vaclav's claim was that mathematics "really didn't exist" before Arabic numerals were around, tho. mathematics was around for a long time before that^. pretty complex math, too. ancient civilizations were able to create giant mathematically precise structures, track the movements of the stars and planets etc etc well before 458 AD. the existence of a numerical zero isn't really a good benchmark here.

so off topic lol

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vaclav's claim was that mathematics "really didn't exist" before Arabic numerals were around, tho. mathematics was around for a long time before that^. pretty complex math, too. ancient civilizations were able to create giant mathematically precise structures, track the movements of the stars and planets etc etc well before 458 AD. the existence of a numerical zero isn't really a good benchmark here.

so off topic lol

So I take it, it only jump started OUR mathematics then? Or were there previous base-10 numbering systems previous to Arabic?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
So I take it, it only jump started OUR mathematics then? Or were there previous base-10 numbering systems previous to Arabic?

what do you mean "OUR"?

and yeah, there were other base-10 systems. counting to 10 is pretty natural since humans have 10 fingers.

there have been more complex number systems that predated Arabic numerals -- for example, Sumerians used base-60 starting around 3000 BC.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
what do you mean "OUR"?

and yeah, there were other base-10 systems. counting to 10 is pretty natural since humans have 10 fingers.

there have been more complex number systems that predated Arabic numerals -- for example, Sumerians used base-60 starting around 3000 BC.

"Ours" as in the one's that we all are used to using in this era. Interesting info though.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
"Ours" as in the one's that we all are used to using in this era. Interesting info though.

"ours" as in base-10 w/ zeros made math much simpler and more accessible, but people were doing some pretty complicated things with math for thousands of years before that.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
GameStop offering an extra $50 trade in for Xbox one and PS4. Made my launch 500gb ps4 trade in value $200, which is pretty damned good. I had just upgraded to the pro with that amazon trade in deal for $299, so only $100 trade up cost. Well, that and having to go to GameStop

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 4 users

Sarrow

<Gold Donor>
GameStop offering an extra $50 trade in for Xbox one and PS4. Made my launch 500gb ps4 trade in value $200, which is pretty damned good. I had just upgraded to the pro with that amazon trade in deal for $299, so only $100 trade up cost. Well, that and having to go to GameStop

So the $150 it shows for a 500gb OG PS4 on the app/website is before the extra $50? I had looked at trading my old one in as well because I did the Amazon pro deal too but when I looked it was only $100 (this was right after Christmas) so I figured the $150 was inclusive of the extra $50.

If it’s not and you can actually get $200 I may bite and go ahead and trade it in.

spronk

FPS noob
gamestop.com prices are before the $50 bonus (not cash, trade value only) but the ps4 trade value dropped $25 overnight, its now $125 or $175 with bonus

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
GameStop's still give cash for trade-ins? Any in my city only give store credit.
they do, but it’s a lesser amount. And I’m not sure about the extra $50.

I think the base was $120 cash when I traded in mine so $30 less, and not sure if you can get the extra $50 in cash (seems unlikely)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So the $150 it shows for a 500gb OG PS4 on the app/website is before the extra $50? I had looked at trading my old one in as well because I did the Amazon pro deal too but when I looked it was only $100 (this was right after Christmas) so I figured the $150 was inclusive of the extra $50.

If it’s not and you can actually get $200 I may bite and go ahead and trade it in.
It was $150 with an extra $50, so $200 total. Amazing deal considering new 1TB bundles were less during the holidays.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Took advantage of the $50 bonus and upgraded to a Pro today. Got $175 for it so not bad for my 3 year old OG PS4. Ready for some Monster Hunter!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Picked up used copies of Final Fantasy 15, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Assassin's Creed Chronicles. We didn't realize when we picked up that AC game that it's different style gameplay (it's "2.5d"). Might end up trading it back in for one of the 3d ones.

Probably most excited about Dragon Age, but Biscuit and I are going to play FF15 first.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Inquisition is such a mixed bag for me. Part of the story is great, part of it is SJW bullshit. The combat is fun but the sidequests are bad.

Good game overall though, with serious flaws.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
YMMV since its a bit of a glitch and gamestop may fix it any time but if you buy a physical 3 month XBox Live card for $24.99 in store, you get on the receipt 2 more codes for 3 months each, basically 9 months of XBL for $24.99. You can buy two or three cards and get four or six extra codes for 18-24 months, xbox caps out at 36 months of live sub active. XBL discounts to $40/12 months often so not a massive savings but kinda nice if you need it.