The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As for the recommendations others have made over the last month to new PS4 owners my input is:

Must Buys:

Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Uncharted 4
The Last of Us Remastered
Bloodborne
Witcher 3 (if you haven't played it elsewhere)

Great games worth playing:

Horizon: Zero Dawn

Games in my backlog I'm looking forward to:

NieR:Automata
Nioh
Tales of Berseria

The Uncharted series is one of my favorite game series of all time. I like story driven games and Uncharted's dialogue, voice acting and story are all A++. I enjoy the gameplay too, especially trying to stealth through entire areas. If you're planning on getting these and also planning on getting The Last of Us I highly recommend playing The Last of Us first. I played all of the Uncharted games before I ever played TLoU and I think it cheapened that experience for me. The game and story are great but I don't hold it in as high regard as many of the posters here (who probably played it when it originally came out in 2013, before having played all these other fantastic story driven games that have released since then).

Witcher 3 is just one of the best games ever made.

I saw a few people recommend Persona 5 and I can see why some people would like it. It's highly stylized and to be fair the combat and Persona system are really good. The options and customization of all the Personas is top notch. However, like I mentioned above, I really like story in my games. I can get past shit story for superb gameplay but Persona 5 is entirely too bogged down by boring, annoying and otherwise tedious systems. I got all the way to December in the game, which is near the very end, and just couldn't force myself to finish. I'd say about 15% of your time spent in the game deals with your Personas and combat and the other 85% is spent simulating a weird, Japanese version of high school life. Not for me. It will likely be the first and last Persona game I ever buy.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Never could get into Uncharted 4 and can't seem to play Witcher 3 more than a couple hours every few weeks

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

The controls and combat are similar to Bloodborne if you don't go sign heavy (and you shouldn't go sign heavy). The problem is they aren't as responsive and enemies aren't as unique which makes combat feel repetitive after a while if you're ignoring the story aspect of the game and of course, the best part of Witcher 3, Gwent.

The combat plays MUCH better if you use a melee build, particularly a fast attack/whirl build with some alchemy skills to increase decoction/potion usage. My first playthrough I did a sign build and while it's powerful for open world stuff it absolutely blows on boss fights. On NG+ and then on a subsequent re-play (when Blood and Wine released) I went with a fast attack build and it was night and day. When you get the new mutations unlocked from Blood and Wine it opens up a couple different, clever "God Mode" type builds that are really fun to play.

• 1Smuggly

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah try alternate control or also try a reset of your PS4 to clear the cache.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Seriously, play TW3 on PC if you have a decent rig. It's better in every way.

• 1Solidarity

Nija

<Silver Donator>
It's pretty great on the PS4 Pro. Then again my only Windows box is a Surface - no PC gaming for over 3 years for me. I don't feel like I've missed anything during that time, either.

• 2Barf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seriously, play TW3 on PC if you have a decent rig. It's better in every way.

While true I’ve tried it on on my Xbox X and it’s so close you can’t really tell. Even the loading is on par with my Corsair/Samsung SSD.

Khane

I don't think there's much you can do about the responsiveness on PS4. I agree with you there, it's a bit clunky and unresponsive at times. Especially trying to use the radial menu for signs/bombs/potions. Being able to hotkey all that shit on the PC is probably heaven.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I have both versions. When I upgraded to ps pro with a 4K oled, wow. And get this. Still haven’t beat it. I get hung up and bored in Skell for some reason.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Mods can make it much better too, and you get the graphics to be at the original E3 levels of quality.

Fully maxed on PC it blows anything the PS4 pro or Xbox One X can do out of the water, seeing as it's pretty easy to target 60+fps at higher graphical fidelity.

There's some excellent rebalance mods too which make the game harder.

• 1Solidarity

Brikker

Trump's Staff
So I never buy any of the newer console generations until a few years have passed so I can choose the winner and have a nice back catalog to catch up on. Seems pretty obvious that I should get a PS4. Is there a particular model I should get concerning memory and such? I would also appreciate a list of must-have games. I'm very much an action-adventure and RPG type of dude. I've heard great things about Horizon and Nier. Destiny looks pretty solid as well. I was also an XBOX guy last generation so I never played any of the Uncharted games. Any others in that same vein I should look for? Already have Witcher 3 on PC.

Destiny 2 isn't worth paying for with its current state. It's also 100x better on PC.