The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That thread from the EU PS forums I mentioned also speculated that it was an HDCP handshaking issue. People said it never happens when you're using the YUV420 or YUV422 color space required for HDR (but the console always wants to go back to RGB on the home screen), or if you keep HDCP off (not practical at all). Some did say the cable swap fixed it, so I guess I'll wait and see what happens when I get a new one tomorrow before worrying about it anymore. Not sure why it seems specific to the Pro though, since people affected had all the major TV brands and several with Xbones said it never does it.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I am in the US and do not have that issue. Is it only effecting Europe? If a new HDMI cable is the resolution it could be some PS Pro's were shipped with faulty HDMI high bandwidth cables. Just speculation.

Vorph

Nah, I'm in the US too, it just happened to be the first discussion I found. It's like 75 pages dating all the way back to the release of the Pro up through this month. But yeah, I'm hoping my problem is just a cable that was fine at 1080p and is now defective at 4K.

Edit: Was looking at the thread in question on my tablet and then lost it, finally found it again on PC -- PS4 Pro random black screen dropouts - PlayStation Forum .. I think a lot of those people are actually having the screen go black playing games, but thankfully that has never happened to me.

Last edited:

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You know what.... this HAS happened to me. But only with Rocket League and only since I bought my Pro. Using the cable that came with the Pro itself. I'll be in the middle of a game and I'll lose sound and video, screen will go completely black and no sound, about 10 seconds later it is back up again.

It hasn't happened recently, but has happened around 3-4 times in the last 3 months. Definitely sounds like an HDCP 2.2 Handshake issue. However, I am going through my Aventage receiver and do not plug directly into my B7A OLED. (Another possible point of failure) Thing is, for me, it ONLY happens with Rocket League. All my other games work fine and I haven't ever dropped to black in the PS4 UI.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I seem to recall having a similar issue with my 4K TV and cable swap did fix it, likely was an issue with the old cable not handling the HDR mode right. Obviously, your solution will depend on what the actual issue is but it could be that simple.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The only issue I have is when I first power on the PS4 the screen will not display the signal until I press a button on the controller. What's weird is it will always go to the correct HDMI input on the TV as soon as I tun it on.

Otherwise it's ran perfectly.

spronk

FPS noob
I changed from auto/RGB to forced YUV 420 to fix that ocassional black flicker issue. So RGB is great if you are running at 1080p or 4k without HDR. But for TVs you cannot do 4k, HDR, 60fps, and RGB the HDMI 2.0 spec does not have enough bandwidth. Your PS4 Pro (or xbox) will auto switch to YUV 420 when HDR is detected at 4k at 60 fps (not sure about 30 fps), and that triggers all kinds of weird HDMI handshaking on some TVs which will cause all the flickering and stuff. Other TVs do it seamlessly. My Samsung KS8000 does it perfectly but my LG OLED sometimes has black flicker if I don't force YUV 420 always. It can be your cable if its an old or crappy HDMI cable but usually its just the HDMI TV handshaking.

If you run most of your games at 4k with HDR its just better to always run YUV 420. If you run most of your games at 1080p then RGB is probably better. I can't really imagine any scenario where you are running 4k without HDR (considering most games don't really let you turn HDR on/off) but then RGB would be better too. You aren't "downgrading" by going to YUV 420, its only if you attach a PC you really want RGB 4k.

Its one of the reasons I hope HDMI 2.1 rolls out sooner than later, it supports the bandwidth to do full 120hz RGB 4k HDR+ etc but its probably sadly years away.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok so taking into account the following: Ps Pro. 4K B7A OLED. Some games are 4k, some 4k HDR, and others 1080p (usually locked at 30 regardless on most) does forcing YUV 420 over RGB/Auto on 1080p games make them look any worse? For example, is this an ongoing toggle where if I know I am playing a 1080p game, I want to go back into my settings and set it back to auto? And when I know I will be playing a 4k game go back and force YUV 420?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
You can't put the Game of the Century on sale!

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Vorph

Ok so taking into account the following: Ps Pro. 4K B7A OLED. Some games are 4k, some 4k HDR, and others 1080p (usually locked at 30 regardless on most) does forcing YUV 420 over RGB/Auto on 1080p games make them look any worse? For example, is this an ongoing toggle where if I know I am playing a 1080p game, I want to go back into my settings and set it back to auto? And when I know I will be playing a 4k game go back and force YUV 420?
If you aren't having any problems, leave it on Automatic. If you are, force it to 2160p YUV420.

I think the new HDMI cable (nothing special, just an AmazonBasics 6' braided one) fixed my problem. It did happen once, immediately after I turned on the PS4 the third or fourth time after swapping cables, but I've left it sitting on home screen for a while and haven't seen it happen since.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sole

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, Canada codes will work for US PSN account. I believe they always have?

I'd suggest clearing your cookies for that site before connecting to a VPN and purchasing to be on the safe side though.

spronk

FPS noob
i'd always be careful of buying PSN or xbox gold or steam subs or wallets from rando sites. If they were purchased with a stolen credit card, and the purchase is reversed, there have been instances where your PSN or Steam accounts gets perma banned for fraud since Sony/Microsoft/Valve have zero tolerance for it. No disputes or anything, everything you own gone.

Saving $10-20 and losing everything doesn't seem like a smart trade off. I don't even buy cards from eBay for that reason, you just never know the way the code was generated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sole

Molten Core Raider
i'd always be careful of buying PSN or xbox gold or steam subs or wallets from rando sites. If they were purchased with a stolen credit card, and the purchase is reversed, there have been instances where your PSN or Steam accounts gets perma banned for fraud since Sony/Microsoft/Valve have zero tolerance for it. No disputes or anything, everything you own gone.

Saving $10-20 and losing everything doesn't seem like a smart trade off. I don't even buy cards from eBay for that reason, you just never know the way the code was generated.

^all dis

This is why I always buy a 12 month PSN sub around Black Friday.