The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
That’s pretty awesome. Hesitant to go Pro this late in the cycle but damn...

If you have a 4K hdr, do it. Sure, Xbox one x is more powerful. I’m finding it has jack shit for games and while cross platform depending on title it performs better on some, the library for PS4 and 4K patches and hdr defeats cross platform and 1st party MS by leaps and bounds. HZD and God of War on pro in 4K hdr are mind blowing compared to anything else out there on any platform.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you have a 4K hdr, do it. Sure, Xbox one x is more powerful. I’m finding it has jack shit for games and while cross platform depending on title it performs better on some, the library for PS4 and 4K patches and hdr defeats cross platform and 1st party MS by leaps and bounds. HZD and God of War on pro in 4K hdr are mind blowing compared to anything else out there on any platform.

Yeah I’d probably replay a few things on the Pro just to see the difference.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
if you're over 35 every hour is now bringing you closer to death, your dick is gonna stop working pretty soon, and all your hair is gonna migrate from the top of your head to your ears and back. may as well enjoy Spiderman in 4k and HDR.

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
if you're over 35 every hour is now bringing you closer to death, your dick is gonna stop working pretty soon, and all your hair is gonna migrate from the top of your head to your ears and back. may as well enjoy Spiderman in 4k and HDR.
I dunno. Reading this makes me want to spend my money on meth and whores instead. You only live once!

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

37 FeelsBadMan

I’d post a picture but don’t need you dicknoses stalking me.

spronk

FPS noob
Microsoft’s streaming Xbox will split up games to keep latency low
First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it’s important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second ‘console’ that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach.

When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.

Microsoft will release 2 new consoles in 2020, a regular upgraded xbox with all the new bells and whistles and a streaming, cheaper xbox that plays the same games but do most of the compute in the cloud. Rumor is the regular xbox will be in the traditional $399-499 range and the streaming machine will be in the $100-150 range.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Meh we'll see. Assuming it is true, shit looks like a PR nightmare when Comcast or Warner or whaterver decides to throttle the connection until they get paid and Microsoft doesn't want to pay them, or just in general with how shitty the US infrastructure is for Internet. And then the issue of deployment in other regions like Europe(tons of countries with different laws and shit), Australia(garbage connections all over the place) and China(probably have to use a 3rd party to run the servers there so they'll be giving away a bunch of their money). There's a pretty big difference between "fuck I can't download the game I want fast enough, I guess I'll play tomorrow" and "oh that's great it's been a week now and I can't play the game I bought because routing is being shit and I have constant packet loss from 7PM to 11PM". Maybe if it came with a way to use VPNs and shit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Meh we'll see. Assuming it is true, shit looks like a PR nightmare when Comcast or Warner or whaterver decides to throttle the connection until they get paid and Microsoft doesn't want to pay them, or just in general with how shitty the US infrastructure is for Internet. And then the issue of deployment in other regions like Europe(tons of countries with different laws and shit), Australia(garbage connections all over the place) and China(probably have to use a 3rd party to run the servers there so they'll be giving away a bunch of their money). There's a pretty big difference between "fuck I can't download the game I want fast enough, I guess I'll play tomorrow" and "oh that's great it's been a week now and I can't play the game I bought because routing is being shit and I have constant packet loss from 7PM to 11PM". Maybe if it came with a way to use VPNs and shit.

The streaming machine could work, as games usually have world wide releases now. Streaming is only an issue regarding movies and TV shows where there are so many distributors. Netflix and any other streaming platform in Europe has different things available in nearly every country. Games don't though, so it could work. That said, PS Now has been out for 4 years in the US? It's still restricted to 3 countries in Europe, and hardly works with a VPN. (Not something I've ever considered getting)

Not an issue for me though as I would never buy a "streaming" platform. I don't mind having the option to stream, options are good. But a console that only does that? No thanks.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The problem is a waste of resources. They need to concentrate on more of gamepass, more of the console and its feature set, and absolutely nothing on this streaming shit. With providers clamping down on bandwidth caps, the market will tilt back towards physical. Shit, some of these patches depending on how many games you own can chew significantly into the caps.

Microsoft cannot figure out how to get their O365 audio platform to work correctly. They think they can figure this out?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The streaming machine could work, as games usually have world wide releases now. Streaming is only an issue regarding movies and TV shows where there are so many distributors. Netflix and any other streaming platform in Europe has different things available in nearly every country. Games don't though, so it could work. That said, PS Now has been out for 4 years in the US? It's still restricted to 3 countries in Europe, and hardly works with a VPN. (Not something I've ever considered getting)

Not an issue for me though as I would never buy a "streaming" platform. I don't mind having the option to stream, options are good. But a console that only does that? No thanks.
I'm not really talking from a distribution perspective and more just technical issues. Streaming works alright for watching movies because of buffering and the lack of input. But packetloss when playing a game is already shit in any online game, all of them, there's always issues due to routing fuckery. Maybe it's Telia, maybe it's Level-3, maybe it's Comcast higher up, but there's always issues, even for giants like Blizzard who have contracts with everyone and have invested a lot in their routing and shit. And when there's a large issue, they'll work on it and it generally gets fixed because it's Blizzard, but ultimately you can check the tech issues forum every day and find some people complaining about "lag" and how "Blizzard should fix their servers", when it's just shitty routing that is quite often out of Blizzard's hands entirely.

I mean maybe they have super good predictive tech and will use additional cloud computing power and bandwith to send more stuff at once to each console so it can "buffer" the game state to deal with packet loss and such, that's possible I guess, but there's just no way I'm trusting that tech until I see it being used for a few months and see how it deals with shit. Also I guess you have to forget about ever playing anything at all if your internet goes down or the servers are getting DDoSed, which sounds like quite the hassle.

On the flipside, I think it's great if I just want to pick the console up to play 1 or 2 games, much cheaper that way, you'd save 200-250$ on the console. Although I guess it will require Xbox live, and while most xbox players do pay for it usually anyway, I don't play consoles nearly enough to have ever bought any of the online services. That's something to factor in the price if you're pretty casual about consoles like I am.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
DjCiwAQU0AAhAY6.jpg

Szlia

I guess some people will, but I certainly will not buy a console where all games are tied to a service that will be discontinued at some point.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
For me it isn't even about that so much as it's about shit streaming services. MS is bloated and clueless at the moment and needs to concentrate on the inroads they have made so far and get back to basics.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Microsoft’s streaming Xbox will split up games to keep latency low
First, Microsoft is building a traditional console that you would expect from the Xbox brand. I think it’s important to point this out so that those who prefer to have all their hardware locally, will have an option with the next generation Xbox.

Scarlett Cloud as one person called it, is the game streaming service that we have all been envisioning ever since Microsoft showed off a demo game streaming at its all-employee meeting back in 2013. But this time, Microsoft has a path to bring it to market.

The second ‘console’ that the company is working on is a lower-powered device that is currently planned to ship with the next generation device that is designed for game-streaming. But the catch here is that Microsoft thinks it has figured out how to handle the latency sensitive aspects of gaming.

The cloud console will have a limited amount of compute locally for specific tasks like controller input, image processing, and importantly, collision detection. The downside of this is that it since more hardware is needed locally, it will raise the price of the streaming box but it will still cost significantly less than what we are accustomed to paying for a new-generation console which should help expand the platform’s reach.

When it comes to games, all Scarlett games will run on all Scarlett devices. Meaning, both consoles will be first-class citizens and there is not expected to be an awkward ‘this game only runs on the non-cloud Scarlett’.

Microsoft will release 2 new consoles in 2020, a regular upgraded xbox with all the new bells and whistles and a streaming, cheaper xbox that plays the same games but do most of the compute in the cloud. Rumor is the regular xbox will be in the traditional $399-499 range and the streaming machine will be in the $100-150 range.

Dear Microsoft, just give up on Scarlett right now before you even send that garbage too mass production. Make fucking games if you don't understand why Sony is smashing your ass right now, get the fuck out..

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
If baffles me how people who are running X Box brand into the ground are still employed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If baffles me how people who are running X Box brand into the ground are still employed.

I just don't get it... yes go ahead develop new hardware(gotta keep wasting that money anyway...) buy out studios , keep hiring people too "make a HZD like game" etc etc ... no info on what they have planned, they have already made a powerful console, but nobody is using it.(if I was a developer, I wouldn't even think about making anything on XB1, until MS sit's down and goes, "Ok this is the final hardware revision...")

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Why own a xbox if they are just going to put out their first party titles on computer. I'll just pick up ps whatever for third and 1st party games that don't come out on computer.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Why own a xbox if they are just going to put out their first party titles on computer. I'll just pick up ps whatever for third and 1st party games that don't come out on computer.

What first party titles ? Everything that has released pretty much has been 3rd party ..... I did buy a S when they came out, but traded it in for my Pro when HZD was releasing..

• 1Like