The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I have a 55" LG OLED, but it's too small for our living room due to 20ft viewing distance.

What 4k HDR TV set , at least 65, preferably 75", is good enough, from 20ft away that isn't going to cost me $5k?

Are the Vizio's worth it?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-...ater-display-with-hdr/5793001.p?skuId=5793001

You aren't going to benefit much from anything above 720p at that range unless you have some freakishly good eyesight. TV Size to Distance Calculator and Science 20/20 vision can only see just under 20 PPI at 20 feet. You'd need a 220" 4k screen to match that

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
See I don’t need anything that large.

There’s a $300 50inch LED that says it’s HDR

Sharp (LC-50Q7030U)

Is that okay? Does that truly do the HDR you were speaking of? (I’m tech savvy but know zero about TVs) Again man I don’t need anything fancy and it can burn out in a few years that’s fine. I just need something that will get me through for now.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Best sub $1000 4k HDR TV is the TCL 6 series. $600 from Best Buy for the 55". It supports both HDR10 and Dolby VIsion. I have one and it's great.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So the cheapest 1080p Black Friday deal is all I need? Maybe a 1080p HDR set or something?

I have no experience at watching something at that range. I'm just going by the science behind it that is used to figure out viewing ranges and so on. All of that is saying that there's nothing short of a gigantic projector/screen setup is going for work @ 20 feet. (Are you sure you aren't exaggerating that range or something?)

The primary issue you're probably facing is viewing angles. Smaller screens filling up too small a field of vision etc... and even that would require a gigantic screen to work well at that distance. (Viewing Distance Calculator)

But yeah, if you are actually watching at 20 feet, then worrying about anything above 1080p is pointless. The biggest possible screen you can afford is what you need, but even that isn't going to be perfect due to your use-case which is closer to theatre distances than home distances

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
See I don’t need anything that large.

There’s a $300 50inch LED that says it’s HDR

Sharp (LC-50Q7030U)

Is that okay? Does that truly do the HDR you were speaking of? (I’m tech savvy but know zero about TVs) Again man I don’t need anything fancy and it can burn out in a few years that’s fine. I just need something that will get me through for now.

This is where someone with more recent experience with HDR than me is going to have to step in. My research on it was from 2016, and I can't say for sure what is considered full/real HDR now as things have improved significantly since then

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have no experience at watching something at that range. I'm just going by the science behind it that is used to figure out viewing ranges and so on. All of that is saying that there's nothing short of a gigantic projector/screen setup is going for work @ 20 feet. (Are you sure you aren't exaggerating that range or something?)

The primary issue you're probably facing is viewing angles. Smaller screens filling up too small a field of vision etc... and even that would require a gigantic screen to work well at that distance. (Viewing Distance Calculator)

But yeah, if you are actually watching at 20 feet, then worrying about anything above 1080p is pointless. The biggest possible screen you can afford is what you need, but even that isn't going to be perfect due to your use-case which is closer to theatre distances than home distances
Time to start doing research on projectors! :)

spronk

FPS noob
Best sub $1000 4k HDR TV is the TCL 6 series. $600 from Best Buy for the 55". It supports both HDR10 and Dolby VIsion. I have one and it's great.

yeah if the LG OLED's are out of budget the only other one I'd consider is the TCL 6 series, its supposed to be pretty amazing for what you pay

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is where someone with more recent experience with HDR than me is going to have to step in. My research on it was from 2016, and I can't say for sure what is considered full/real HDR now as things have improved significantly since then

Appreciate ya man, thanks for the info. Hopefully someone else can pick up where you left off. :)

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I just bought the tcl 6-series (615/617). I think it's pretty great for the price.

Edit: If you do, it's important that your seating area is centered to the TV. It has poor viewing angles if you're not sitting on a couch centered to the TV. That's one of the TCL series biggest drawbacks but it didn't matter to me since I would be dead center on it.

Additionally, viewing from above or below significantly causes weird issues with the local dimming so if you have it over a fireplace or something and it's not angled to be perpendicular to your eyesight, it will probably look weird.

The 5-series is a lot closer to your budget and it's still pretty good, but the HDR is not as tight.

rtings.com is a great site for comparing TVs, btw. I used that as my main source of research after doing some initial looking into things.

Last edited:

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I'm also looking to upgrade my old TV 1080P, no HDR and at the same time upgrading from regular PS4 to PS4 pro.

It comes down to either the LG C8 55" or the Sony X900F 55". The LG is about twice as much as the Sony from $1600 to $3000 in Canadian dollars.

The price isn't the main factor though, I've read a lot in the last few weeks, and there seems to be a possibility of burn in with OLED TV. It's nowhere near as bad as Plasma TV were, but the risk is there.

The second issue with the OLED is hockey. I'm a hockey fan and saw some mention that OLED isn't the best for hockey because of the white of the ice.

I'm going to best buy Friday after work to see both in person and decide if the better picture of the LG(there is no doubt that the picture is better) is worth $1400 more, and the added risk of burn in.

Right now, I'm leaning more toward the Sony, as having the burn in really worries me. I don't want to be playing something, and constantly fear that I'll end up with burn in.

I'm walking out with a new TV and PS4 pro on Friday though. :)

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not posting this to discourage the existing tangent, just to point out that there is an HDTV thread in the technology forum for additional discussion: HDTVs

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
People that keep talking about ffxv, I provided a pretty thorough blog and review in the final fantasy thread. The result is basically "go fuck yourself"

• 1Like

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
HDR is a must have imo. Good lord, when I first went to the witch's woods in God of War and my TV started blasting colors at me...

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
UHD is just another way of saying 4k

Actually they are different resolutions but not by much. UHD is typical 16:9 at 3840x2160. 4k is 16:10 4096x2160. Only really matters in the non consumer world I suppose for local content sharing in businesses.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
People that keep talking about ffxv, I provided a pretty thorough blog and review in the final fantasy thread. The result is basically "go fuck yourself"
So supertasting also affects your taste in games? Please link me to this post.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 3 users