The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So...

I am now on my 4th PS4 Dual Shock controller in since I got my Pro a year and a half and change ago.

Why... WHY... after about 5-6 months, do they have drift issues which I cannot fix and I have to toss the damn thing in the trash?

I normally have two working controllers to off-set each other if I lose a charge on one for longer gaming weekends. Within the time frame above, one of them always ends up getting some stupid drift issue. It's always the right analog stick. This time it's vertical, last time it was horizontal. The time before that it was horizontal.

I am getting tired of buying these damn controllers. Tried the blow on it trick, the cotton swab of rubbing alcohol around the analog plastic (To clear dust) and while I knew that wasn't going to fix it anyway, what in the ever living shit.

Anyone else having these issues?
I have never had this issue on PS4, but my Xbox One X controller started drifting not all that long after getting it and I tried to repair it myself, only to fuck it up worse.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Wow, nice. Any complaints/issues with the adapter?

It is a little tricky to get it set up the first time. I can switch it from PC <> PS4 <> Xbox all wirelessly. I tried it once with the Switch and it wasn't that great, it's implementation is different from the others and you have to plug it in right at first then it will go to wireless. The comment about the no touchpad hasn't been an issue at all, just makes you realize you have a touchpad that is nothing but a button.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had stick drift on my original Xbox one controller and fixed it by replacing the analog sensor for the one of the thumb sticks. I had to replace the other a few months later. Then I one of the bumpers break and unfortunately aftermarket bumpers aren't as good as the sensors so it was a little stiff. Ended up trading it in with my OG Xbox One for a One X. Replacement sensors are around $5 and require a little soldering during the replacement process but it beats paying $60 for a new controller. Maybe not worth the time if you don't like tinkering with things. The replacement process looks similar for PlayStation controllers.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
So SSD and an improved bus to take advantage of it along with a newer CPU and GPU, but otherwise compatible with PS4.

Makes sense to just do a technology iteration on the existing strong platform vs trying to spin up a new dev kit etc.

spronk

FPS noob
  • Mark Cerny is once again the Lead System Architect.
  • 8 core AMD 7nm Zen 2 based on third generation Ryzen.
  • Ray-tracing support with custom AMD Navi GPU.
  • Custom AMD unit for 3D Audio, also aided by ray-tracing, a big upgrade.
  • Extremely fast high-end custom SSD storage faster than any solution currently available for PC:
    Spider-Man load times on PS4 Pro: 15 seconds → 0.8 seconds on next-gen PlayStation.
  • Technically supports 8K but Cerny demoed Spider-Man load speed improvements on a 4K screen.
  • New Virtual Reality platform strongly hinted at but also supports current PSVR (meaning millions of VR users 'day one').
  • Death Stranding might be a cross-gen title (speculation in article based on Cerny reply).
  • Physical Media.
  • Backwards Compatible with at least PS4.
  • Four years in development so far.
  • This is all official information! Straight from Mark Cerny. Key aspects were demoed to Wired on next-gen hardware.

So sounds pretty cool, the load time changes are insane. Still end of the day its basically like upgrading your PC which is good.

I was planning on upgrading my PC for Cyberpunk 2077 but now I'm not sure, I wonder what the delta will be between a PS5 and a top of the line PC.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Those load times sound great, hard to believe tho.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
All sounds pretty good, just built a new PC so I don't see myself getting one at launch but BC alone makes it a purchase down the line.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Both Xbox and PS4 are now x86 architecture, so backwards compatibility should be a given from here on out. I don't see anyone doing some crazy custom CPU like they did for PS3 in the future.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Another Ps4 hardware question. I'm looking for some type of Mic attachment that is similar to the Xbox One setup. The Xbox attachment allows you to mute/adjust volume without taking your hands off the controller. The Steel Series headset I currently have is pretty nice, but the mute button is behind the left earcup, which is annoying to use while playing. I'd use my Xbox controller with the old ps4 adapter I have, but it doesn't work well with Let It Die.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I'd be interested if they say it supports 8k, that must mean they are building out with HDMI 2.1 which would be a smart choice regardless.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you take Samsung 8K TVs as what they're aiming for then that means upscaling 4K to 8K and not much beyond that. Which makes sense given how hard it will be to hit and maintain hardware that can hit 4K/60FPS HDR for 5 years. Support for 8K is limited to 30FPS and a very small amount of codecs right now and that isn't going to change before a PS5 hits the market.

Although if they have a PS5 Pro that can play 8K Blurays or something people that invested in the current generation are going to WTF.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I wouldn't worry about it. 8k is a gimmick unless you're less than 3 feet or so away from the display, which you won't be doing with standard TV sizes these days anyway. 4K is already pointless for the average viewer as they're not close enough for that, let alone 8k.

The real nice thing that HDMI 2.1 does for consoles is bringing high refresh 4k and async.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
If you take Samsung 8K TVs as what they're aiming for then that means upscaling 4K to 8K and not much beyond that. Which makes sense given how hard it will be to hit and maintain hardware that can hit 4K/60FPS HDR for 5 years. Support for 8K is limited to 30FPS and a very small amount of codecs right now and that isn't going to change before a PS5 hits the market.

Although if they have a PS5 Pro that can play 8K Blurays or something people that invested in the current generation are going to WTF.

Yeah 8k doesn't matter at all right now either. I would be interested to hear if they will support 4:4:4 with 12-bit color which would be a huge improvement over what we have today when it comes to HDR (Need Dolby Vision to support that request) and that would pass (At 4k60) 24.06gb obviously requiring HMDI 2.1 and a new TV, but my body is ready. I would prefer 12-Bit 4:4:4 with Dolby Vision Support on 4k60 over anything else.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Still like the concept of the One SAD, but not the price. I don't blame them though, with the One S still $299. I like them stating that it will always be $50 less. I think we could see it as low as $150 + incentives for Black Friday.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Gee what a deal on Xbox ultimate. The same price if you buy them separately.

Get a sale on Xbox live 12 month for as low as 34.99 and I bought 6 months of gamepass at half off once on amazon.

• 1Like