The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Anyone with a 4k TV or monitor how much a visual difference compared to playing on a HDTV? My son wants a new TV or monitor so I was thinking getting something for his PS pro. He currently plays on my 60" television but I may get him a 4k hdr monitor for his room so he can get off my shit. I'm just wondering if it's worth my money or a waste of time? Also how important is hdr compared to 4k resolution for the ps pro?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gaming would have better utilization of HDR than any shows/movies could put out these days but the question is more of screen size and refresh rate. If you're fine with 60 Hz then great you can find monitor options $300-$1000 depending on 27" or 32". If you want a simple 55" 4K TV you can find some good deals $600-$1000. But if you're going higher for low input latency gaming mode TVs, a monitor above 60 Hz, or 65" TV then you're paying $1400+

I'd personally wait on 4K monitors until there's better (and less pricey) 120+ Hz options. LG or Samsung are a good place to start for gaming TVs.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone with a 4k TV or monitor how much a visual difference compared to playing on a HDTV? My son wants a new TV or monitor so I was thinking getting something for his PS pro. He currently plays on my 60" television but I may get him a 4k hdr monitor for his room so he can get off my shit. I'm just wondering if it's worth my money or a waste of time? Also how important is hdr compared to 4k resolution for the ps pro?

Usually its not much of a difference unless you're using a very large screen or sitting close. Wont see a difference if you're sitting usual couch distance. With a monitor, he'll be close enough for it to matter. Keep in mind that most monitors don't do HDR even if they say something about HDR.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
PC HDR is still a complete mess. Both Windows support for it and the monitors themselves. Most monitors have shit for brightness (nits) compared to TVs, unless you are talking about spending as much money as a OLED TV for a display that's a quarter the size. Plus there isn't really a standard for PC HDR, so you'd have to check to make sure that the one you're buying even supports HDR10 (and Dolby Vision if he has Xbox too). Unless he actually needs the monitor for PC use too, I would definitely get a 4K TV instead. You can find low latency LCDs in 55"+ that do HDR10/DV/local dimming/etc. for under a grand.

HDR is vastly more important than 4K for making console games look good. But there's no point in buying a 1080p TV now anyway so it's kind of moot. Just make sure the TV has enough brightness and good local dimming or else the HDR won't really work at all. Rtings.com is a good place to check before you buy anything.

Edit: My bedroom TV that I do most of my PS4 gaming on is a TCL 55R615 (617 on Amazon). Samsung and LG make great mid to high end TVs, but their low end tends to be cheap, not inexpensive. The TCL is around 500 now, has all the features I mentioned above, and is really hard to beat for even twice the price. The only reason I hesitate to recommend it is because I won the panel lottery and got one from Best Buy the day the new models were released and it has almost no noticeable dirty screen effect or banding. Other people, especially Amazon buyers it seems, haven't been so lucky even after returning the TV multiple times. It's definitely something I'd shop for locally, and really that goes for any TV in the <1k price range.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
PC HDR is still a complete mess. Both Windows support for it and the monitors themselves. Most monitors have shit for brightness (nits) compared to TVs, unless you are talking about spending as much money as a OLED TV for a display that's a quarter the size. Plus there isn't really a standard for PC HDR, so you'd have to check to make sure that the one you're buying even supports HDR10 (and Dolby Vision if he has Xbox too). Unless he actually needs the monitor for PC use too, I would definitely get a 4K TV instead. You can find low latency LCDs in 55"+ that do HDR10/DV/local dimming/etc. for under a grand.

HDR is vastly more important than 4K for making console games look good. But there's no point in buying a 1080p TV now anyway so it's kind of moot. Just make sure the TV has enough brightness and good local dimming or else the HDR won't really work at all. Rtings.com is a good place to check before you buy anything.

There is a standard for PC HDR:

spronk

FPS noob

get a good TCL when it goes on sale, the 4K HDR versions of that TV are best bang for the buck and your son should really appreciate it. He can hook it up to his PS4 Pro and also his PC if he has one. A 43-55" will be just fine and they go as low as like $300-400 for the good model.

I believe the 6 series is the one you want (someone correct me if I'm wrong), the 55' is $499 msrp at best buy

on a good sale you should be able to snag it for $350

4K/HDR is like going from a PS4 to a PS4 Pro, there is a difference. Its not huge, you can probably notice it but if you're gonna spend 100+ hours on it may as well splurge a little.

spronk

FPS noob
gears trailer, some halo reach bits in the game or something too. releases in less than a month

microsoft also big dicking gamepass adding Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Bards Tale, and Blair Witch (is that even released) this month, Dead Cells will be added in Sept

Dash_WIRE_Coming-Soon_8.16_940x528_r1.jpg

Crone

gears trailer, some halo reach bits in the game or something too. releases in less than a month

microsoft also big dicking gamepass adding Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Bards Tale, and Blair Witch (is that even released) this month, Dead Cells will be added in Sept

Dash_WIRE_Coming-Soon_8.16_940x528_r1.jpg
How do you know what stuff is gonna be cross buy for Xbox and PC? Will gears of War be that way? I wanna play on PC and play with my friend on Xbox.

spronk

FPS noob
all microsoft first party games - gears, halo, forza - are cross buy and cross play. for third party games the game pass tells you if its cross buy (the image above), i don't think really any are cross play

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Always wanted to try Kingdon Come and Stellaris on Console along with DMC 5.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
This thread is as good as any for this:

I dug around in the attic and the wife wants stuff cleaned up (i.e. thrown in the trash). My PS2, SNES and VCS2600 are up there and I need to save them. Well I might sell the VCS and maybe the SNES as well. Does anyone have experience with hooking a PS2 up to a HDMI monitor? Are these adapters you can buy (either direct PS2 --> HDMI or component --> HDMI worth a crap?

Crone

This thread is as good as any for this:

I dug around in the attic and the wife wants stuff cleaned up (i.e. thrown in the trash). My PS2, SNES and VCS2600 are up there and I need to save them. Well I might sell the VCS and maybe the SNES as well. Does anyone have experience with hooking a PS2 up to a HDMI monitor? Are these adapters you can buy (either direct PS2 --> HDMI or component --> HDMI worth a crap?

Per above link, most modern TVs have a way to do component inputs, and you can get a Ps2 component cable that goes directly to the Ps2.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah what you should do is purchase a receiver (Unless you have one already) that supports component. Most have composite but you will be stuck with 480i. Component gives you 480p and a much cleaner picture. If you only have the composite cables use those. As far as the SNES, Composite. 2600 is tricky because it's that old VHF connector with the game/TV switch on the back that used to attach to screw connectors on the back of the TV. For that, you can buy a premade kit. They aren't expensive. Leveraging your receiver as a switch.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Honestly, if it hadn't been for Sunset Overdrive, I would've legitimately thought they were first party already.
Yup. For all intents and purposes, they have been a Sony studio for the vast majority of their history.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider

Per above link, most modern TVs have a way to do component inputs, and you can get a Ps2 component cable that goes directly to the Ps2.
Yeah I have three TVs.
The 65" living room with only 4 HDMI, one Satellite (F-connector) and one UHF.
The 40" dining room with all sorts of stuff, SCART, component/composite, HDMI, UHF, Sat.
The 32" bedroom with composite, HDMI, UHF, Sat.

I also have the PS2 component cable.

The problem here is that I want to use my computer monitor, which has DP and HDMI only. So I was looking at something like this and wondering if it works or if I should just game on one of the smaller TVs.

Yeah what you should do is purchase a receiver (Unless you have one already) that supports component. Most have composite but you will be stuck with 480i. Component gives you 480p and a much cleaner picture. If you only have the composite cables use those. As far as the SNES, Composite. 2600 is tricky because it's that old VHF connector with the game/TV switch on the back that used to attach to screw connectors on the back of the TV. For that, you can buy a premade kit. They aren't expensive. Leveraging your receiver as a switch.

The 2600 is most likely getting sold, it's taking up too much space for too little gain. I don't think I'm keeping it, really, I have so many PS2/3/4 games to play, no point in keeping it. Either way all the TVs have the old UHF connector, funny enough. Even the newest. We didn't do the screw connector thing here in Germany as far as I'm concerned (i.e. the past 46 years).

I do have a receiver but that's in the living room, I'm trying to get things going in the gaming room. Good idea though, even the cheap JVC I have has the component stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Just make sure whatever Converter you get has a external power supply, the non-powered ones are garbage that don't even combine sound channels into the HDMI channel, and also look like 144p video.

And if wanting too hook up older ones, look for a FrameMeister it can do all connections at once(At least the one I bought years ago can, not too sure on the newer version) but the upscale options from it are awesome.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I have one lying around to connect a VHS VCR so I can try that before I buy another one for the consoles.
Framemeister looks dope but I'm not that much in love with the old consoles that I'd spend $300 on them.