The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't think anyone expected backward compatibility to be for previous gens? Did they? That wasn't even a thing I had considered when it was announced tbh, it makes kinda no sense. I'm sure they could emulate them but that wouldn't be quite the same thing and there's just no realistic way they're doing hardware backward compatibility with widely different systems like that. That sounds like some clickbait shit or I don't know maybe people had different expectations than what I had.

For some reason in my head I thought we’d already been made aware the only type of bc for 1, 2, and 3 would be through whatever PS Live, PS Now, streaming service they have. Never crossed my mind it would be HW or software emulated.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

They already rolled back that claim.

Which could just mean Sony got on to them and told them they weren't ready to officially announce that news.

spronk

FPS noob
glad to see someone finally blinked

$499 for a series X is pretty good, i'll probably buy one at launch. No real good reason, but i'll probably play cyberpunk on it instead of building out a new PC. that can wait 6-12 months

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Ya, I'll eventually grab one I imagine. Zero chance I'll play Cyberpunk 2077 on anything but PC

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
We have an initial response from Microsoft:

edit: and now a more substantive reply...

Last edited:

spronk

FPS noob

full ad thats gonna play this week

for $299 its a great price, you get a lot of shit for the money. The biggest problem is that its only 525 gig ssd. Thats like call of duty plus 1 game lol

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I never filled up my 1TB SSD, and that's with Quantum Break (which is somewhere in the 200GB range iirc) still installed on it, but 512GB just isn't enough. End up buying a 1TB plug-in SSD for the port in the back, and that's at absolute minimum half of the price difference between the S and X. Given MS' history of accessory pricing, it's probably more. $499 for the X just seems like a much better deal overall than $299 for the S.

I really hope there's some kind of trade-in promo this year at Gamestop though. I really don't want to deal with selling my X1X privately.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Seems like waiting for "pro" versions might be the ticket this gen which I imagine will be geared towards internal SSD sizes

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That all access financing is interesting. $25/m for a console and full access to quite a few games. It will appeal to a lot of parents that can't afford to buy a full-blown console and several games.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Seems like waiting for "pro" versions might be the ticket this gen which I imagine will be geared towards internal SSD sizes
Do people really have that much an issue with installing/uninstalling games when they're done with them? I don't have a PS4 but I imagine it works similarly to Steam? Maybe I'm just spoiled by Gigabit internet speeds.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That might be a hell of a wait. PS4 Pro came out after 3 years, X1X took 4. Rather just buy one now and trade it in for a new one with a fresh warranty like I did with PS4 this gen.

Do people really have that much an issue with installing/uninstalling games when they're done with them? I don't have a PS4 but I imagine it works similarly to Steam? Maybe I'm just spoiled by Gigabit internet speeds.
A lot of people have data caps. I don't personally, it's just the speed that bugs me. Steam will easily max out my internet; MS and Sony don't even come close, and Nintendo is lucky to use a tenth of it even with the Switch wired. Plus there's plenty of games you're never really 'done' with, like all the GaaS/MTX sales engine games out there these days.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
That all access financing is interesting. $25/m for a console and full access to quite a few games. It will appeal to a lot of parents that can't afford to buy a full-blown console and several games.

I think it's a great strategy and Xbox can move a lot of boxes this way. I won't buy one (have a great pc and can play all Xbox games that way), but I won't be buying PS5 for a while either until their exclusives start dropping.

I think you absolutely nailed who will be buying these things and I think Microsoft finally found a proper "niche" in the console market. Will be interested to see Sony's response.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
20200908_102319.jpg

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

while I have unlimited it certainly isn't gigabit, so ya, it's time I don't want to waste waiting