The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's like spec sheets are having a contest to decide which number is more meaningless: Hz or TFLOPS?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Also on that Xbox Series S, it's a nice looking piece of hardware. I genuinely dislike the PS5 but this little brick looks pretty clean to me.

Looks like Sony pricing gets unveiled tomorrow as well as pre-orders.

• 1Solidarity

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
That's good, because the juxtoposition of the Series S leak/reveal and the below is pretty ugly.

1599580982720.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
thats one of those wanker UK shops that customize PS5s for basically rich assholes, nothing to do with "real" PS5. Hopefully though we find out more PS5 info this week, 9/9/20 is the official 25th anniversary of the Sony Playstation 1 launch date in NA.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Once again, that deal doesn't matter when most of the games on GP are shit along with MS's 1st party. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

With that said, it's lower in power than an X which you would be able to buy used for cheaper more than likely by the time this comes out and have a a blu-ray drive to boot.

If the games are absolute dog shit, it doesn't matter. I am at the point now where I have Gamepass ultimate, an Xbox one X, and a new gaming PC. The only enticing thing to me would be a PS5 because of the games. I am not planning on upgrading my OLED to another for HDMI 2.1. Id be just fine with 4k60 for PS5 if it can hit that. And what I have learned about GaaS and these subscription offers is that 1st party games suffer substantially, and 3rd party games are offered when they want a base to sell MTX or DLC into.

Vorph

With that said, it's lower in power than an X
See, that's the point I was making in my last post.....

There's no way the new Zen CPU is weaker than the ancient Jaguar in the X1X. For GPU 6 vs. 4 TFLOPS is a pointless comparison between apples (GCN) and oranges (RDNA 2), not to mention the difference between GDDR5 and GDDR6. And the SSD in the Series S certainly blows away the shitty mechanical drive in the X (which should be left completely empty except for the OS, and that means buying a $100-ish external SSD that still won't be nearly as fast as the new custom NVMe SSD).

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
You already have Game Pass, Microsoft doesn't care if you find the newer hardware compelling or not, they just want you in their ecosystem in whichever form you're most comfortable participating in it.

There is value to just seeing people on your friends list playing a game, is a point the Astroneer devs made about how big Game Pass was for their title and how that drove sales through the roof for them, it's not just a DLC play.

I can see room on paper to make the argument about power compared to the One X, I'll defer to the analysis when it's available for that.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
See, that's the point I was making in my last post.....

There's no way the new Zen CPU is weaker than the ancient Jaguar in the X1X, for GPU 6 vs. 4 TFLOPS is a pointless comparison between apples (GCN) and oranges (RDNA 2), and the SSD in the Series S certainly blows away the shitty mechanical drive in the X (which should be left completely empty except for the OS).

True and good point. Either way, doesn't matter because their 1st party games are mostly mediocre. If they had actual 1st party games worth something, I suppose I still wouldn't upgrade because I can play on my PC. Knowing full well I may not be the target market. But the last Disc Less system positioned this way bombed off a cliff.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
xbox-lockhart-sviluppo-nuovi-indizi-series-s-jez-corden-v3-447043-715x400.jpg

They had to make the white one longer but less girthy? Odd.

• 1Worf

Vorph

True and good point. Either way, doesn't matter because their 1st party games are mostly mediocre. If they had actual 1st party games worth something, I suppose I still wouldn't upgrade because I can play on my PC. Knowing full well I may not be the target market. But the last Disc Less system positioned this way bombed off a cliff.
For me, hooking my PC to my main TV is absolutely not an option, and I value the larger screen, HDR, and actual surround sound more than the pros of my PC in most genres, so I'll be preordering a Series X for sure. Series S doesn't interest me at all; even if it looks to be an upgrade over X1X I still wouldn't bother for anything less than the Series X. I GameFly almost everything I play on the Xbox that isn't on Game Pass so the lack of a drive alone would be a total deal-breaker.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
For me, hooking my PC to my main TV is absolutely not an option, and I value the larger screen, HDR, and actual surround sound more than the pros of my PC in most genres, so I'll be preordering a Series X for sure. Series S doesn't interest me at all; even if it looks to be an upgrade over X1X I still wouldn't bother for anything less than the Series X. I GameFly almost everything I play on the Xbox that isn't on Game Pass so the lack of a drive alone would be a total deal-breaker.

Are you going to be upgrading your TV to HDMI 2.1 capable?

Vorph

Are you going to be upgrading your TV to HDMI 2.1 capable?
Nah, I can't see any reason to bother yet. Games will likely stick with plain HDR10 and color gamut is unchanged from 2.0 to 2.1, and the vast majority of stuff I play won't even go above 4K30 (or, preferably, 1440-1800p60 checkerboard) so 8K is a ridiculous notion for another decade or so. Only thing I can think of that might get me to buy a new TV is Freesync support... I'm already tempted to buy a nice 32" 1440p panel with 400+ nits for HDR10 and Freesync that is compatible with Xbox (I could be mistaken but I don't think every Freesync monitor is guaranteed to work with MS' implementation, kind of like how Dolby Vision is half-assed on the X1X) for use when I'm not at home but have one of my consoles with me.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
That's the worst timing ever for Assassin's Creed Valhalla which looks pretty dang good too

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users