The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So all these people talking about how much it looks better an resolution matters haven't even seen the 1080p versions yet for 2 different games?
Yep. Except Sean who is continuing to defend it like a blind moron.

The unethical marketing is absolutely astounding.

Sean, shut the fuck up. (This time I'm not trolling)

If you think all the bullshit that has been spouted so far is even close to true from a marketing stand point you're an absolute clueless shill beyond epic proportions. You have had people here for weeks/months saying how much better these games look on next gen, when they never even had the patches to make that happen in the first place, and Black flag is going above and beyond by even adding new AA techniques. Absolutely fantastic eh? Van Ord over on Gamespot talking about great the differences are.HE NEVER EVEN HAD THE RIGHT VERSION

Holy fuck, you unethical apologist. Just knock it the fuck off and get back with reality before you lose all credibility.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Why do these games need patches to run at different resolutions. Can someone explain why devs can't just make console games offer different resolutions like PC's?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Why do these games need patches to run at different resolutions. Can someone explain why devs can't just make console games offer different resolutions like PC's?
Because they were under a timeline to manufacture and the original titles are just ports. A patch allows them to add features for a certain console, but it still isn't natively adapted for it during the development process. Which is why, for the most part, launch games suck. It's a cheap way out to sell more units pushed by a need/bonus system to do so from the hardware manufacture which is compensated back to the publisher, due to low market penetration of the console at launch.

So they do what any company would. As little as possible.

The thing that gets me are the idiots defending this or pretending it doesn't exist.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Jesus Ut, shut the fuck up. You're just completely full of shit and mega thread shitting. No one is going to be swayed by you, give it a fucking rest. And 900p is definitely different than 720p. That's a ton of difference in resolution. Learn to do some basic math.

There's a 40% difference in resolution there. 40%.
But is it perceivable? We used to tout around a chart with resolution vs. screen size vs. viewing distance, and people decided they were going to dismiss it based on anecdotal evidence or improperly defined logic like "I can totally tell the difference between them on my laptop screen 5 inches from my face" or when I was at the store standing a few feet away higher resolution was obviously better" or "my new 1080p set looks way better than my 5 year old 720p set did" but there is science behind assertion that past a certain point resolution makes very little difference. There are so many better ways to create a measurable difference in picture quality than by upping resolution at this point that I'm genuinely surprised at how much this keeps popping up as a crux of discussion.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There's a 40% difference in resolution there. 40%.
720p to 900p on a native 1080p display (Which you have) upscaled from the set looks WORSE. Joo back me up on this one. You know what you are talking about as well. Maybe I am not explaining it clearly enough when it comes to downscaling and upscaling on native sets.

Sean_sl

shitlord
But is it perceivable? We used to tout around a chart with resolution vs. screen size vs. viewing distance, and people decided they were going to dismiss it based on anecdotal evidence or improperly defined logic like "I can totally tell the difference between them on my laptop screen 5 inches from my face" or when I was at the store standing a few feet away higher resolution was obviously better" or "my new 1080p set looks way better than my 5 year old 720p set did" but there is science behind assertion that past a certain point resolution makes very little difference. There are so many better ways to create a measurable difference in picture quality than by upping resolution at this point that I'm genuinely surprised at how much this keeps popping up as a crux of discussion.
Yeah, it's definitely perceivable. There's a definite jump in clarity. You get less aliasing, etc. That's the biggest difference, even when the art assets aren't made at that exact resolution.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
So, what isthegame for the ps4? There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in the launch. What's in the future?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The box comes with a shit load of packaging, so your ps1 "should" be safe. Maybe not if something hits the bottom of it, though. Yeah, they probably should have floated the console in the middle.

oSRKMI1.jpg

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Infamous 2 right now, I think.

Honestly, I haven't even begun looking at what games might be coming out for the xbone and ps4 after christmas

Sean_sl

shitlord
So, what isthegame for the ps4? There doesn't seem to be anything interesting in the launch. What's in the future?
inFamous: Second Son, The Order 1886, Uncharted, new Tales game, Deep Down, Final Fantasy 15, Kingdom Hearts 3, Metal Gear Solid, Destiny, bunch of unannounced Sony First Party titles, bunch of Japanese exclusives, bunch of Indie games.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There's like a 1-2 foot range where 720p and 900p actually might look different at all on a 55' TV. Better hope you're sitting at that exact spot. Basically it's a small enough range that leaning forward or leaning back in your chair might make the difference in being able to see it or not.

So yeah...

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Ya there is no way that the difference between 720p and 900p is noticeable on a 55"+ TV. You'd have to be in the sub 40" range or sitting right on top of it to be able to tell.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't think you guys know how that shit works, especially Gaige - the bigger the TV you have themorenoticeable shit is.

The difference in sharpness and aliasing for games on higher resolutions Vs lower resolutions goes a lot further than how much you can make out exact texture detail.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
In the future there will be a lot of great games to play. Right now, nothing. If you are looking to experience something like Killzone Shadow Fall, you can grab a cheap version of Crysis 2 and basically see the same thing. Especially if you have a PC that will run it. Personally, I am looking forward more to 2015. Destiny could be good. I am interested to see what the new Uncharted will be like, but they need to change it up. Uncharted 2 was the best by far, and 3 was stale. God of War 3 being one of the best by far, ascension was very weak. Really the first party titles will be great. But those are a long ways out.

Edit: I just agreed with Gaige. What is the world coming too.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Ya there is no way that the difference between 720p and 900p is noticeable on a 55"+ TV. You'd have to be in the sub 40" range or sitting right on top of it to be able to tell.
Yeah, that's backwards as Sean said

The window for seeing the difference from 720p to 900p on a 40" TV is like 6-12 inches difference in distance. The window on a 80" TV would be like 4-5 feet.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
I'm pretty sure I know how that works. I had 3 27" 2560x1440 monitors and switched to 3 32" 1920x1080 TVs for my PC. I have a 65" Panasonic plasma in my living room that's 1080p and a 50" LG plasma in my bedroom that's 720p.

The differences are just subtle, if they're noticeable at all, from the viewing ranges people should be using.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I don't think you guys know how that shit works, especially Gaige - the bigger the TV you have themorenoticeable shit is.

The difference in sharpness and aliasing for games on higher resolutions Vs lower resolutions goes a lot further than how much you can make out exact texture detail.
It does and it doesn't. There is still the practical matter of how much you can tell the difference and the answer is very, very little. There are far more important metrics than pixel density at this point.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Yeah, that's backwards as Sean said

The window for seeing the difference from 720p to 900p on a 40" TV is like 6-12 inches difference in distance. The window on a 80" TV would be like 4-5 feet.
/shrug I must have bad eyes then. At least to me it's not such a night and day difference that it looks like a different game as Sean seems to imply. Also I don't have an 80, just a 65
frown.png