The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Give it a rest already, dude.
I am curious why on earth I would need a software patch to play Blu-ray movies on a blu-ray player already included with the system. If I go buy a Blu-Ray player, I do not need to download a patch for the thing. I plug it in, I play movies. I am genuinely curious why there needs to be a software patch for this to enable Blu-Ray movie playing on the PS4. What is the reasoning behind it? Honest question.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
I am curious why on earth I would need a software patch to play Blu-ray movies on a blu-ray player already included with the system. If I go buy a Blu-Ray player, I do not need to download a patch for the thing. I plug it in, I play movies. I am genuinely curious why there needs to be a software patch for this to enable Blu-Ray movie playing on the PS4. What is the reasoning behind it? Honest question.
you bought a video game system. I had no issues downloading the patch at midnight. now im just doing kids moms in cod

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not always true - in-laws actually needed a patch for their WiFi enabled Blu-Ray before it was able to play any that were copy protected. Was an annoying second trip for me to deal with it like a week later after initially setting it up for them since they didn't care about the WiFi features I'd not set them up, and the tests I did were on DVDs not Blu-Ray.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I have a Sony blu ray player I got when I bought a Sony tv for free I wanna say 2008/2009 ish and it has an updating over wifi feature built in that I run occassionally and patch.

Juvarisx

Florida
Alright here is a review from someone (me) whose last console was a Playstation 2 wayyy back in 2001. I skipped Xbox and PS3 in favour of pc's and I rarely (if ever) played on my friends' consoles.

Picked it up at Gamestop near where I lived, preordered in mid October with no problems, had the 3 games I chose (Killzone, BF4, Assassins Creed) in stock. SO far so good, I attribute that to Sony for figuring it the fuck out. There was probably 100 people at the small store near me with 3 other gamestops in a 5 mile radius.

Setup was easy enough except PSN was down at first last night. When companies are going to figure out that release = heavy load I will celebrate. EVERY single company and hell even the Gov't have not figured this out but whatever, I managed to setup my PSN (had to make a new one) on the console around 2am.

1.5 patch downloaded for me in 1 minute flat, games installed and patched very quickly, games off PSN store (Rasugun or whatever) was a quick download. Zero issues with the PSN Store pretty happy with it, Getting PS+ was easy enough as well.

I like the UI of the system a lot, it reminded me of the Sony blu ray player I had, setting the resolution defaults and sound outputs was easy and it worked without a hitch. Figure I'd try AC4 to see how it is. Load times with the stock hard drive are minimal to non existent, I was annoyed I had to sign up to U-Play whatever that is, but that's Ubisoft for you. Got about an hour in, console ran quiet the entire time, no crashes no controller issues no other problems at all.

Tried Battlefield next, this morning, still no issues. I was connected to PSN so I guess their load issues were resolved. I have never plasyed a FPS on a console before so all I found out is that I am horrible at FPS's with a controller which I will obviously need a lot of practice with. Tried online, worked fine first time, no rubber banding or lag. I did brutal but whatever.

Finally just got finised playing Killzone for a bit, I found it easier to control then BF4 and it was sure prettier. I have a 65" Panasonic plasma and it looked great on it, again no issues with this game. It uses the swpe pad thing on the controller to control your Owl which is neat hard to get used to though.

Overall I attribute to the problems people are having to probably stupidity. The first person to brick his system took the hard drive out while it was on. Its not Sony's fault derps buy their consoles. I would have liked PSN to be a bit more stable last night but being a MMo player for 15 years you get used to it. Controller, system and setup all worked flawlessly otherwise and I am happy with my purchase. Even all 3 games, I will just have to get better at shooters. Resogun is really fun too, and bonus it being free.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Heh, Sony "gets it" that their will be a heavy load on launch night, as does every other company. The problem is they aren't going to implement 17 million more servers to deal with it because that's a waste under normal use (to the scale of millions of dollars). The best they can do is try to mitigate it, square Enix is a perfect example of a company that "didnt get it".

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thank you for your review.

. When companies are going to figure out that release = heavy load I will celebrate. EVERY single company and hell even the Gov't have not figured this out but whatever, I managed to setup my PSN (had to make a new one) on the console around 2am.
Never, it makes no business sense to spend a ton of capital on infrastructure that is only required for one day every 5 years.

If you had a bunch of houseguest staying over for the weekend, beyond your room capacity, would you buy a new house or just tell them to sleep on the floor?

Juvarisx

Florida
Thank you for your review.

Never, it makes no business sense to spend a ton of capital on infrastructure that is only required for one day every 5 years.

If you had a bunch of houseguest staying over for the weekend, beyond your room capacity, would you buy a new house or just tell them to sleep on the floor?
No I suppose not, wish there was a way they could temp add a ton of capacity while it being economical. Would help a lot of launches.

There was a period of time when Blu-rays first came out that they were still ironing all the format issues and even stand-alone players were able to be firmware updated. When I first got my PS3 it needed to be patched to play the newest Blu-rays I had purchased and then again to enable 3D playback support (the Xbox One will require a patch to play 3D down the road as well). I believe that manufacturers continue to push the boundries of what they can include on the discs, how interactive their menus are, etc. and that would require an ongoing patch cycle.

Repins_sl

shitlord
So is it just different city to city ?
You aren't finding any around here costco to gamestop to targets and so on are cleaned out

- am selling my amazon preorder for 175 over ( mine is cheapest on local CL ) as soon as it comes in today guys meeting me at bank 1 mile down the road.

I have 5 others emailing me for the same ad offering to pay 200 over with cash in hand immediately.

I fucking knew I should have ordered more when they went up.
It's obviously different and I wish I would have known as I was allowed to put more than one in my cart on Amazon last night and I didn't. I had to drive two towns over to buy a game as everything around me was sold out of games and accessories excluding controllers and while Amazon is delivering the console on Saturday, local delivery for the games wasn't available which meant one day was Monday and standard 2 day prime was Tuesday.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The internet is not a grocery store, those 30 extra lanes in bandwidth are exponentially more expensive than unused cashiers.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Is not not possible (or economical) to rent extra servers temporarily or on a short term contract to alleviate launch loads?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There was a period of time when Blu-rays first came out that they were still ironing all the format issues and even stand-alone players were able to be firmware updated. When I first got my PS3 it needed to be patched to play the newest Blu-rays I had purchased and then again to enable 3D playback support (the Xbox One will require a patch to play 3D down the road as well). I believe that manufacturers continue to push the boundries of what they can include on the discs, how interactive their menus are, etc. and that would require an ongoing patch cycle.
Gotchya. This makes sense. I keep looking at it like it should be a DVD Player. With more protected content tools involved it probably messes everything up beyond what used to be a simple DVD Player.

Alright here is a review from someone (me) whose last console was a Playstation 2 wayyy back in 2001. I skipped Xbox and PS3 in favour of pc's and I rarely (if ever) played on my friends' consoles.
Thanks for the review. Are you mainly a PC gamer across all genres now? Or are you planning on diving into different genres with the console. (Some people only play MMORPG's on their PC for instance)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Is not not possible (or economical) to rent extra servers temporarily or on a short term contract to alleviate launch loads?
You would think if they are running in a virtualized envinroment it would be farily easy to compensate. It shouldn't happen anyway and it shouldn't be because of server load. The PS3 has a 90+ million install base compared to 1-1.2 million PS4 if they sold out everything. No one can tell me that out of a 90 million install they don't have 1+ million on at any given time. The servers are loaded excuse doesn't seem to gel here. Does the PS4 use the same network arch as the PS3? I understand pushing a lot of bandwidth, but during every Steam Sale - those servers get absolutely pounded and I am usually able, aside from the turn over in sale day (Which lags for about 4 minutes) to buy anything and download it at amazing speeds.