The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What's the expected ROI of a home theater?
It depends. I am sure Utgayan wants you to go to 4k since he has already stated 720p isn't good enough for his poor children's eyes. You are also going to need to upgrade to THX certified sound because Dolby just aint good enough.

I am guessing one kid doesn't go to college but it will be worth it to see the boredom in their eyes only a month after you buy all that.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
It depends. I am sureUtgayanwants you to go to 4k since he has already stated 720p isn't good enough for his poor children's eyes. You are also going to need to upgrade to THX certified sound because Dolby just aint good enough.

I am guessing one kid doesn't go to college but it will be worth it to see the boredom in their eyes only a month after you buy all that.
Wow.

Anyway, you don't need to spend an arm and a leg on a home theater. Even with a Standard 5.1 HD-DTS MA receiver with HDMI switching for devices, ($249) 5.1 Speaker system ($499) a blu-ray player ($60-90) and a decent size LED. 60-70" LED 120Hz is fine unless you want to go 3D. $1199-$1499 depending on size - $2,037-$2,300 isn't breaking the bank or making sure one of a_skeleton_03's kids doesn't get to take their course on how to open an umbrella at the local community college.

One stigma that seems to revolve around the phrase "Home Theater" is everyone thinks they need to buy this elaborate set up. If that's a hobby and you have the means, sure. Wet bar, popcorn machine, leveled seating, etc. But a Home Theater can easily mean it is set up in your living room with a couch.

Either way, the difference between Blu-Ray and Streamed movies with regards to sound quality and experience and the debate between that, still stands. 720p/30 streamed from Netflix or upscaled to 1080p on the fly through the display looks noticably worse than 1080p/24 Blu Ray. Lossless sound is a no brainer. If you have not heard it, then you shouldn't really have an opinion on it because it makes a world of difference.

This should get back on track to talking about the consoles so I will stop my side of the debate here. But Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere, and nor should anyone here want it too unless you don't mind paying more for inferior product/service on the sake of you save yourself a trip to a store 5 minutes away.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Back up Ut. LED Is a horrible recommendation. There's no LCD/LED on the market that can compete with Plasma for image quality unless you get in the 8k+ Range.

The Panasonic Plasmas absolutely *demolish* any LCD/LED set that you can get in that price range. The $1500 Panasonic 60" ST60 is easily the best TV you can buy for price/performance. The $1150 60" S60 is also far better than any LED, but doesn't have the anti-glare stuff and isn't quite as good as the ST60, but is still amazing.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Back up Ut. LED Is a horrible recommendation. There's no LCD/LED on the market that can compete with Plasma for image quality unless you get in the 8k+ Range.

The Panasonic Plasmas absolutely *demolish* any LCD/LED set that you can get in that price range. The $1500 Panasonic 60" ST60 is easily the best TV you can buy for price/performance. The $1150 60" S60 is also far better than any LED, but doesn't have the anti-glare stuff and isn't quite as good as the ST60, but is still amazing.
Times have changed my friend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...57159&st=Sharp60" &cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

4,000,000:1 Contrast ratio and blacks are near perfect with 150 CD/M 1 for insanely awesome and crisp black levels.

$1199.00.

About the only play on this is if you watch sports and are looking for a faster 240hz refresh rate over the 120. Plasma also has a propensity for screen burn, but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

(And Sharp displays used to be horrible)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'll take the minor picture quality difference to have the more thin and aesthetically pleasing LCD/LED in my living room.

That said, I agree with Ut on having real BluRays and a nice surround setup. If you like to watch a lot of movies, you can't beat it. Streaming still isn't quite there and if you have a NAS, you have to download/store huge files to get the same effect.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I do a HTPC with 1080p rips myself including 3D Half SBS.

I am just harassing Utnayan for hating on 720p which is fine for 99% of the population.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
4,000,000:1 Contrast ratio and blacks are near perfect with 150 CD/M 1 for insanely awesome and crisp black levels.
I'm sure that's a perfectly fine television, but quoting manufacturer contrast ratios is 100% worthless. Every company measures them differently and you can't compare them whatsoever across different brands. It might be a useful stat when comparing one Samsung vs another Samsung(for example), but that's about it. Contrast ratios are generally just a large arbitrary number that a company can throw on their stat sheet to "wow" uninformed customers that don't have any idea how to actually compare products.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Also remember that plasmas use a glass front that reflects any light in the area. So unless you can control your light levels that will touch the screen, the LED/plastic screen is the way to go.

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider
Times have changed my friend.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...57159&st=Sharp60" &cp=1&lp=2#tab=specifications

$1199.00.

About the only play on this is if you watch sports and are looking for a faster 240hz refresh rate over the 120. Plasma also has a propensity for screen burn, but not nearly as bad as it used to be.

(And Sharp displays used to be horrible)
The contrast ratio for one is measured Dynamically, which is pretty much made-up by the manufacturer.... Native contrast ("real contrast" is what matters) of Plasmas DEMOLISH any LED/LCD in terms of native (we are talking 2000:1 on a LED compared to 100,000:1+ on Plasma). Aside from other things such as how well the TV handles motion (120Hz is a gimmick), Plasma's are the BEST by far in terms of how well the TV refreshes. So basically, Plasma's still to this day demolish any LED/LCD on the market aside from maybe a $7k Sharp Elite.

Get your facts straight and stop spewing nonsense...

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I do a HTPC with 1080p rips myself including 3D Half SBS.

I am just harassing Utnayan for hating on 720p which is fine for 99% of the population.
Blah
smile.png
So is streaming until you throw in a blu-ray disc and see/hear the diference.

4k will be interesting, but I think WAY to soon as 1) No content for it. 2) No cameras to film in it (That I know of) 3) Cable/Sat companies are still working on delivering a lot of just normal HD content.

smile.png

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The contrast ratio for one is measured Dynamically, which is pretty much made-up by the manufacturer.... Native contrast ("real contrast" is what matters) of Plasmas DEMOLISH any LED/LCD in terms of native (we are talking 2000:1 on a LED compared to 100,000:1+ on Plasma). Aside from other things such as how well the TV handles motion (120Hz is a gimmick), Plasma's are the BEST by far in terms of how well the TV refreshes. So basically, Plasma's still to this day demolish any LED/LCD on the market aside from maybe a $7k Sharp Elite.

Get your facts straight and stop spewing nonsense...
The dynamic ratio is about 5:1 compared to native. (Not anwhere close to your magical 20x ratio there you just posted) And most "motion handlers" on any screen get turned off in about 5 seconds once people see how poor the quality of the frames are. Especially in the Plasma model that Sean quoted out in a link. Either way, contrast ratio means jack if the black levels aren't hovering around 100 CD/M In which the most cause for LED's have been pushed. You and Sean both may have made a point back in 2003. Times and technology gaps have changed and in no way, shape or form is there a dramatic difference between the two.

With that said, Plasmas being oversold are probably by the same folks that think you need to "warm up" your Plasma for 200 hours before playing video games or throwing sports tickers/network logos in corners for extended periods of time. Which is hilarious. Like someone out there actually thinks you can somehow "harden" phospherus to the negative chararcteristics it carries, which is also scientifically false anyway.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
That's a load of bunk dude, that TV in no way compares to the new Panasonics.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35636058.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-t...-35566949.html

Pretty much every review out there says the same thing about the ST60. This thing competes with last year's FLAGSHIP TVs and is as good or better than than.

Btw Soygen, the new Plasmas are pretty damned thin.
Lets agree to disagree. I can pull up the reviews on the LED's saying the same things in reverse depending on the site. One thing the LED reviews do not have are the countless compaints of image retention/burn in lasting for weeks at a time, and sometimes never going away. Pixel shift was supposed to help with this, but it isn't doing any good. (I am going by user reviews)

I am guessing you own an ST60?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow.

Anyway, you don't need to spend an arm and a leg on a home theater. Even with a Standard 5.1 HD-DTS MA receiver with HDMI switching for devices, ($249) 5.1 Speaker system ($499) a blu-ray player ($60-90) and a decent size LED. 60-70" LED 120Hz is fine unless you want to go 3D. $1199-$1499 depending on size - $2,037-$2,300 isn't breaking the bank or making sure one of a_skeleton_03's kids doesn't get to take their course on how to open an umbrella at the local community college.

One stigma that seems to revolve around the phrase "Home Theater" is everyone thinks they need to buy this elaborate set up. If that's a hobby and you have the means, sure. Wet bar, popcorn machine, leveled seating, etc. But a Home Theater can easily mean it is set up in your living room with a couch.

Either way, the difference between Blu-Ray and Streamed movies with regards to sound quality and experience and the debate between that, still stands. 720p/30 streamed from Netflix or upscaled to 1080p on the fly through the display looks noticably worse than 1080p/24 Blu Ray. Lossless sound is a no brainer. If you have not heard it, then you shouldn't really have an opinion on it because it makes a world of difference.

This should get back on track to talking about the consoles so I will stop my side of the debate here. But Blu-Ray isn't going anywhere, and nor should anyone here want it too unless you don't mind paying more for inferior product/service on the sake of you save yourself a trip to a store 5 minutes away.
Last year when we moved I made sure we bought a house with an unfinished basement. I'd always wanted a real home theater room and I wanted to do it all myself. I spent the last year working on it, framing, electric, insulation, everything.

rrr_img_23031.jpg

rrr_img_23032.jpg

rrr_img_23031.jpg

rrr_img_23032.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I do. IR is a complete non-issue and the screen is gorgeous.

I read shit for months on end before doing so and I saved up for 11 months before buying a TV due to my limited income. I don't fuck around when it comes to choosing what I buy. LCD/LED simply do not compete with Plasma for price/performance and I make sure I get the absolute best bang for my buck.

Beef Supreme_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I do. IR is a complete non-issue and the screen is gorgeous.

I read shit for months on end before doing so and I saved up for 11 months before buying a TV due to my limited income. I don't fuck around when it comes to choosing what I buy. LCD/LED simply do not compete with Plasma for price/performance and I make sure I get the absolute best bang for my buck.
KjyQIcI.jpg

KjyQIcI.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Last year when we moved I made sure we bought a house with an unfinished basement. I'd always wanted a real home theater room and I wanted to do it all myself. I spent the last year working on it, framing, electric, insulation, everything.
Nice looking room! That's really the only thing that makes me consider moving out of my condo and in to a house, is the ability to a) have a home theater room and b) actually be able to let my Klipsch RF-1's really stretch their legs without pissing off 40+ people.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Nice theater!

How did you set up your control? And just out of curiousity, what budget did you stay in?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Nice theater!

How did you set up your control? And just out of curiousity, what budget did you stay in?
It is a google nexus tablet running some apps to control stuff. One is called Touchsquid and that controls lighting and the receiver, another is the official xbmc remote, then there is some honeywell stuff for HVAC. I completely soundproofed the room so I can crank it up and not bother my wife and kids. The gear is all in a separate server room due to heat issues. All speakers are hidden, the two subs are commercial jobs from a company called Danley. They are similar to what would be in an Imax theater. I have them sitting on a center stage that I filled with 1600 pounds of sand to deaden any resonance. I never did total out the whole budget so I'm not too sure. I pretty much spent every extra dollar from every pay check for an entire year.