The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You don't understand what I'm talking about. It's an issue on plasma sets that use two panes of glass, they reflect and if you look from too much of an angle you see a double image. It is known.
Interesting.. have not noticed that on my Samsung C8000. Neither have I seen any burn in. The one downside that came along with my TV is the son of a bitch annoying buzz. It's been probably a year since I looked in to it, but think it was traced to transformer coils in the back of the TV. And once you hear it, you cannot unhear. Drives me bonkers if I'm sitting dead on, a little to the left or right though and it pretty much goes away.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I think all plasmas have that buzz to some degree. I know my old one did, but it was quiet and you could only hear it when holding your ear up to the set.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Take this shit to the TV thread in the tech forum please.

rrr_img_23181.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You don't understand what I'm talking about. It's an issue on plasma sets that use two panes of glass, they reflect and if you look from too much of an angle you see a double image. It is known.
What year plasmas are you talking about? When I got mine about a year ago, I knew of this issue to ask about and there was none being sold at that time at the places I was considering that double-paned anymore. I definitely recall seeing it on my uncle's first gen plasma that he got like year one of the tech though, so I know it existed at one point - but if it exists anymore it's got to be a rarity.

Sean_sl

shitlord
What year plasmas are you talking about? When I got mine about a year ago, I knew of this issue to ask about and there was none being sold at that time at the places I was considering that double-paned anymore. I definitely recall seeing it on my uncle's first gen plasma that he got like year one of the tech though, so I know it existed at one point - but if it exists anymore it's got to be a rarity.
Yeah, mine doesn't actually have this issue and I haven't actually heard of it for a while. It's probably something that got phased out quite a while ago.

RE Buzzing: I can't hear mine unless I put my ear right up to the TV, course any monitor makes a little noise if you put your ear right up to it, and I'm fairly sensitive to sound.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've got to imagine that's true Sean - frankly moving my uncles was a pain in the ass too - those two paned ones had to weigh 200 lbs - versus the single panes these days that might push 60-70. (I'm not that strong and I can move my 51" solo - the difficulty comes from getting a good handhold - the weight doesn't wind me once I'm going... and I'm a scrawny guy...). Unless they reduced the weight per glass panel substantially it's likely easy to figure out by checking package weights on plasmas - <100 are likely one panel, >100 are likely two. [At least in my experience - as stated above the early plasma I'm familiar with was first consumer generation, when they were $7k or something ridiculous like that for 720p]

And yea, on buzzing the only time I can hear it for mine is if I pull mine away from the wall, like when I've got the TV sitting backwards - certainly has a buzz, but it's from the rear of the unit and projects that way, so from the front it's basically nonexistent, if someone gets a buzz they can notice I bet wall-mounting or otherwise reducing the distance to the wall would remove it from being detectable. (Or the buzz is coming from elsewhere, like shitty speakers on the unit that have a buzz)

Sean_sl

shitlord
Yeah, my 60 inch ST60 is only 69.5 lbs without its stand, 78.3 lbs with it. It's super thin too, as thin as any LCD these days.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I've noticed the image will look weird when viewing it from nearly 180 degrees. I've watched it from that angle for all of about 10 seconds. So for all intents and purposes I'd imagine the issue is gone on good plasmas.

I have a Panasonic TC-P46S1 from three or four years ago.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hey Sean I just heard that the ST60 has a 90% failure rate after the first week of use and none of the warranties cover it.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I may or may not have just got my hands on a next gen console for a bit, it may or may not have been awesome.

Hekotat

Not trolling, just unsure if I want to break the NDA. I just wanted to share with you assholes.

Hekotat

All I got to mess with was the UI and saw them doing some development on some sports games for it.