The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
People will still try to vilify MS, even though all of the always-on shit was rumored from third parties and nothing MS said themselves.
Yes, because MS will just come out and admit that is what they wanted all along.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
vgleaks went back on the always online-only stuff a month ago, but apparently it takes another memo to gain any traction.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
We still don't know if this was always the plan or if it was changed due to consumer outcry; if anything, you should wonder why MS would have to put out an internal email explaining how the situation has always been.

This still doesn't necessarily answer any questions about the system requiring a one-time activation / blocking used games.

Sean_sl

shitlord
People will still try to vilify MS, even though all of the always-on shit was rumored from third parties and nothing MS said themselves.
There was aMicrosoft Creative Director, Adam Orth, fired for his behavior involved in potentially leaking and heavily insinuating that they were doing Always-Online. That's not a third party. Now, I don't think they should be vilified for it at this point, but I think Always-Online was definitely a very real "possibility" and a potential plan that they had in the works at one point or another.

The memo screams: "Look, we're notactuallygoing to do this, so make sure no one leaks or insinuates that we are." Whether it was just something that was totally up in the air and nothing more or a plan that was canceled due to overwhelming and nearly unanimous public outcry we'll probably never know unless someone leaks something tangible. Either way, it'sgreatthat they're not doing it.

Now if theyhadgone through with it then full on vilification would be rightly deserved.

Sean_sl

shitlord
So, how about some bad news on the Sony front?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...re-button.aspx

After the glee surrounding Sony's PlayStation 4 share button came down a bit from its initial fever pitch (admittedly, it's still pretty high), savvy gamers started to realize that there might be drawbacks. We fully expect members of the press to be subject to embargoes and NDAs on use of the feature, but what about when gamers get their hands on titles early? Are we doomed to a generation of spoiler overload?

Thankfully, according to an interview with Shuhei Yoshida conducted by Japan's 4Gamer.net (and translated by Edge), our delicate eyes and ears might be safe from the corrupting influence of information excess. During the conversation, Yoshida indicated that Sony is handing over control of the Dual Shock 4's Share button to developers.

The idea is that developers will be able to lock out the feature during moments they don't want shared online. Final boss fights, key plot moments, and even special easter eggs could be subject to the freeze depending on what's desired from the studio.

That still won't prevent footage from legitimately acquired early copies from making their way online. However, a server-side blockade or a day one patch to enable the feature might help keep gamers from accidentally witnessing something that would ruin their experience with a title.
I sincerely hope that most developers don't actually use this bullshit lock. It should be completely up to the user whether they want to be spoiled or not when watching a stream, not the developer.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I sincerely hope that most developers don't actually use this bullshit lock.
rrr_img_23676.jpg

rrr_img_23676.jpg

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't see the big deal on the lock - I'd already assumed it would have some limitations anyhow just for performance reasons - sure nothing will push it to 99% now, but eventually stuff will - and it's an easy feature to allow devs to toggle off to get a good couple % of power focused back on the game.

Just like how some PS3 games won't allow background downloads to eat up some of the performance of the system right now, while others allow it - at dev discretion.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I can see the upside, as a developer it's a pretty easy way to make sure people experience your content the way you want them to. By actually playing the game, not watching on YouTube.

Sean_sl

shitlord
That's not an upside to us. If people want to watch a game on Youtube then that's their business.

And people will stream with video capture equipment to get around it if they want to, there's no stopping that so hamstringing someone who wants to use Sony's service instead of dedicated equipment is stupid.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You have to assume that the PS4 is going to have a friend hub, and that is most likely going to show friend's current activities/favorites/shares. I don't want to inadvertently waltz into a spoiler just because my friend decides to share a clip of his play through and I happen to look at my friend list. Yes I agree that it would be stupid if devs blocked too much, but you have to at least recognize the possible pros of not being able to record the end boss fight and instantly send it out to all your friends who may not want to see it.

Sean_sl

shitlord
So don't click on your friends' shared videos? I doubt it's going to play some gigantor video as you flip through a friend list.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
PS4 news feed screenshot. Someone could easily have a spoiler posted there that you wouldn't want to see. Please don't say, "just avoid that part of the PS4 interface if you don't want to be spoiled."

rrr_img_23678.jpg

rrr_img_23678.jpg

Sean_sl

shitlord
I would hope that they would give player the option to turn those off instead of restricting sharing.

Also give players the option (or requirement) to spoiler tag their videos. That's a way more logical solution than restricting anything.

Vaclav

Honestly though Sean - it comes down to how assertive the developers are about using it - you can't honestly say with PS3's history of them allowing the devs to turn off various background services on the PS3 to save processing power that it's shocking they'd do it on the PS4 to try to keep it futureproof.

I'd look at it like the "no preowned" protection stuff, where they've stated it's entirely in the devs hands what they do - we trust the devs won't go overboard with such things, similarly I don't think we should expect the devs to go overboard with it on the Share stuff either.

But I'm going to be biased since I seriously doubt I'll ever bother touching the Share button even once.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I'm not even sure why a developer would really turn it off ever. It's free viral marketing for their game, probably far more valuable then little timmy getting upset over spoilers.

Vaclav

Right Derkon - I expect it will be an option that only gets utilized by games that eventually start pushing the system to the 99% point where they need extra processing power that would be "wasted" on the Share functions - otherwise why should we expect them to bother.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm glad to see they backed off online only. MS better have Killer Instinct 3 in the works!

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I don't like it when video games become the art of dressing up a business model.
Agree.

It sucks.

But with the huge budgets and teams sizes along with ever increasing pressure from the consumers to increase visuals/gameplay we cant really expect anything less. With budgets the size of summer blockbusters and a fraction of the fanbase, revenue streams and financing options that big movies have. Gaming is just getting too big to sustain the model it has been working from. Suites take over, tech/creative types cant handle the business side when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars. Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 years.

Someone mentioned to me that in the 40's and 50's there was a huge crash and change of direction or philosophy in Hollywood. Movies had gotten too big to work with the model that they were using at the time. Does anyone know anything about that?