The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Cor_sl

shitlord
By the way, I did screw up one thing: The $299 version of Xbox v.Next will come with a $15/mo XBLG subscription, not $10. Sorry about that.
- Paul Thurrot -https://twitter.com/thurrott/status/330328052053733376

That makes a lot more sense.

$299 + $360 = $659

So, the subsidised Xbox will cost $160 more over two years than the unsubsidised Xbox, assuming you don't sign up for Xbox Live Gold on the unsubsidised Xbox. Xbox Live Gold is, what, $60 a year? I guess if you take Gold into account, it's actually not a bad deal.

Edit - Oh, there's more.

@thurrott yup, and that sub includes family.
- Tom Warren, The Verge -https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/330328191078121473

I'm guessing Microsoft will introduce that plan at E3. Maybe $10 a month? Who knows.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I've never paid more than $35 for a year of Xbox Live gold.
Same, which would make it 570 Vs. 660, that's basically pissing 90 dollars down the drain. This year I actually ended up only paying $12 for my year of Live, which would make it a far bigger hit.

I suppose it's less of a hit to your average tard who auto renews at 60/month which puts it at 620 Vs. 660.

299.99 is not 299, it's 300 Cor!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I've paid $9.99 a month for Live since like 2006, no fucks given. Yes I realize it's dumb.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My live subscription is good through like 2015 I think... I bought 3 or 4 cards at $35 a piece one time and just added them all to my account at once.

Cor_sl

shitlord
Pfft, $299, $300, it's all the same to me.

I just saw this linked on another forum --

On whether or not PSN will remain free for PS4

We totally believe that we want to provide more functionality and more services and more content on the network. And so we are looking at how we are going to structure that. And we are not ready to talk about that.
Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida -http://uk.gamespot.com/news/yoshida-...tion-4-6404291

His answer is.. Interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony started charging for multiplayer next gen.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If they're smart they will just boost Playstation Plus a little bit. PSN seems like it's in a good place right now, the free is acceptable and Plus has some really cool benefits. Unlike XBLG, where free doesn't get you SHIT and anything worth using requires Gold.

Szlia

Free multiplayer is a good thing the PS3 has going for it. A possibly clever thing (the jury is still out) would be to have both free and paying multiplayer that offer the exact same functionality, but have the two groups separated during online play. Basically, you can pay $5 a month to not have to deal with the kids.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Free multiplayer is a good thing the PS3 has going for it. A possibly clever thing (the jury is still out) would be to have both free and paying multiplayer that offer the exact same functionality, but have the two groups separated during online play. Basically, you can pay $5 a month to not have to deal with the kids.
Yeah, because as xboxlive demonstrated, there's no way you could have annoying kids paying $5 month ;p

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The thing with PSN is you don't need Plus to use Netflix, Amazon Video, or any of the other apps available on the PS3. On Xbox you need Gold to use all those paid services. It's bullshit you need Gold to use Netflix.

Microsoft needs to revamp Gold and it's benefits because they are being outclassed by Sony right now who were very late to the game with paid subs.

Fadaar

That guy
The thing with PSN is you don't need Plus to use Netflix, Amazon Video, or any of the other apps available on the PS3. On Xbox you need Gold to use all those paid services. It's bullshit you need Gold to use Netflix.

Microsoft needs to revamp Gold and it's benefits because they are being outclassed by Sony right now who were very late to the game with paid subs.
Good thing about Netflix for me is my laptop stays permanently hooked up to my TV. So I can use it for downloaded stuff (ie Game of Thrones episodes) as well as things like Netflix. Wireless mouse and keyboard FTW!

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Internal memo my ass. Looks like somebody changed their minds after the public made them realize their level of dumbfuckery.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but I wonder if that fight was worth it. They won a war for a market that will eventually be completely replaced by streaming. The thing I think Sony should do now is get in bed with Valve and leverage Steam. I think Steam is looking to branch away from PCs, and the new PS would be a good fit for both companies, especially if they can leverage the existing PC platform.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Internal memo my ass. Looks like somebody changed their minds after the public made them realize their level of dumbfuckery.
If that is true, then no harm was done. If anything it's a very good thing because they listened.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
People will still try to vilify MS, even though all of the always-on shit was rumored from third parties and nothing MS said themselves.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, but I wonder if that fight was worth it. They won a war for a market that will eventually be completely replaced by streaming. The thing I think Sony should do now is get in bed with Valve and leverage Steam. I think Steam is looking to branch away from PCs, and the new PS would be a good fit for both companies, especially if they can leverage the existing PC platform.
Hasn't Steam already begun experimenting with a console like device or a PC UI designed to look like consoles on your TV? If so, I can't see them wanting to partner with Playstation.