The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I blame Blizzard and the absolute gobs of money they (probably) made on the RMT auction house.

Sean_sl

shitlord
But with the huge budgets and teams sizes along with ever increasing pressure from the consumers to increase visuals/gameplay we cant really expect anything less. With budgets the size of summer blockbusters and a fraction of the fanbase, revenue streams and financing options that big movies have. Gaming is just getting too big to sustain the model it has been working from. Suites take over, tech/creative types cant handle the business side when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars. Its going to be interesting to see what happens in the next 10 years.
I think (hope) we're going to see a large shift over the next generation of games. We're probably going to see a lot more diverse price-range of games with a lot more $20-30 titles. The days of you having to make a $60 blockbuster title to be in the game industry are over. With Sony throwing their weight behind supporting small and independent developers and Steam and Digital Distribution there's a lot more room and a much larger chance to smaller projects to be successful. It's already started to happen at the tail end of this current generation with titles like Journey, The Walking Dead, and Minecraft.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think (hope) we're going to see a large shift over the next generation of games. We're probably going to see a lot more diverse price-range of games with a lot more $20-30 titles. The days of you having to make a $60 blockbuster title to be in the game industry are over. With Sony throwing their weight behind supporting small and independent developers and Steam and Digital Distribution there's a lot more room and a much larger chance to smaller projects to be successful. It's already started to happen at the tail end of this current generation with titles like Journey, The Walking Dead, and Minecraft.
I partially agree with what you are saying however you still need nice looking exclusive AAA games to attract potential gamers to your console platform.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I partially agree with what you are saying however you still need nice looking exclusive AAA games to attract potential gamers to your console platform.
Yeah, absolutely, and they'll still be there. There's just going to be a lot more thanjustthose titles going forward. The industry can't sustain itself on those big AAA games alone anymore with how costs have gotten out of hand.

I think this last generation really fucked up the market. We went from having a massive diversity in quality in the PS2 era and prior with titles ranging from shit to all the way to AAA and everything in between that was put out there. In the X360/PS3 era itmostlyended up that there has been only complete shit *or* AAA titles released and that's hopefully coming to an end.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If IAP take over console gaming im not even sure what i'll end up thinking at that time. Those IOS apps are just fuckin lame, granted that they reach a large audience and all due to initial price. However everytime i consider a IOS game now i look for this "this has in app purchases"shit then i just ignore it. I hope its a practice that stays mainly on IOS and Android games and not something you see on console games often.

Cor_sl

shitlord
This is hardly surprising.

The F2P model is ingrained in the developing world. Most of the games in Asia, South America, and Eastern Europe are F2P with micro transactions, and consoles won't be able to make any inroads into these parts of the world unless they embrace the F2P payment model.

I'd imagine that the success of companies like Supercell (a Finnish IOS developer generating $2.4 million revenuedailyfrom their two IOS games - they generated $104 million profit in Q1 2013 alone) is probably interesting them, too.

Consoles need to adapt, else they'll be left behind. Embracing F2P is smart.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't mind f2p/rmt. It's just a way to subsidize the cost of games for people like me by letting people buy dumb shit.

I'll never play a game that's pay to win though, and I don't see that being a very prevalent force in gaming.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If they want to win in NA all they really need to do is properly leverage their existing consumer base into their new model with a seamless transition(that's why I don't think XBOX Live is going anywhere). It's what Sony completely failed to do with the PS3 and why Xbox was able to overtake them easily.

Xalara

Golden Squire
I don't mind f2p/rmt. It's just a way to subsidize the cost of games for people like me by letting people buy dumb shit.

I'll never play a game that's pay to win though, and I don't see that being a very prevalent force in gaming.
Pay to win is prevalent in many non-western markets. CryTek touched on this when discussing challenges in bringing Warface to different markets. IIRC they brought up the fact that the Russian version has pay-to-win aspects because that is culturally acceptable while the North American version won't since it isn't culturally acceptable.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Now if RROD actually is a rarity instead of a commonality with this generation XBox I may not regret when I inevitably purchase it.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure it will be replaced by something else. They know exactly how much they are raking in on free to play titles these days, it just makes sense to let everyone in and have a much larger pool for all the micro transactions.