The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't even consider Nintendo as a thing anymore. WiiU isn't a nextgen console. It is a last gen console released 3 to 5 years too late.

I meant between PS4 and 720. Also, I typed the wrong thing, I meant console exclusive titles. My bad.
Ahh.. in that case I would probably have to go with PS4. Never owned Xbox or 360. A lot of the Xbox games are usually multi-plat anyways or at least hit the PC. I can only think of very small handful of titles on Xbox that stayed exclusive that ever made me consider purchasing one. Only thing that sucks is it seems like everyone I know has a 360 (and will probably have a 720 also) and sure would be nice to be able to play with them.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
High end PC + Sony console, same as always. The 360 had exactly one game I regret not having gotten to at least try: Lost Odyssey. Everything else that was "exclusive" came out on PC sooner or later. Sony, on the other hand, has actual exclusives that stay that way forever. I don't see anything changing next gen in that regard.
I agree with your statement that PS3 had more exclusives that stayed exclusives, but I wonder how much of that was due to games being developed for PS3's fucked architecture not being as easily portable as xbox exclusives? And it seems like PS4 will have a much similar architecture to xbox720 and PCs.

Szlia

Most of these exclusives are games published/produced by Sony or Japanese games that were too niche outside Japan to be ported on both HD consoles (note there are a number of small X360 games that are exclusives because Microsoft made it very cheap and easy for small Japanese devs to hop on the X360). I doubt a new generation of consoles will change this dynamic unless suddenly Sony wants to enter the PC gaming arena (a VAIO only bad steam-clone?
smile.png
).

smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Most of these exclusives are games published/produced by Sony or Japanese games that were too niche outside Japan to be ported on both HD consoles (note there are a number of small X360 games that are exclusives because Microsoft made it very cheap and easy for small Japanese devs to hop on the X360). I doubt a new generation of consoles will change this dynamic unless suddenly Sony wants to enter the PC gaming arena (a VAIO only bad steam-clone?
smile.png
).
The bulk of PS3 exclusives, sure, but there are still many high-profile PS3 exclusives that were popular in America that were never ported to xbox/pc.

As for always on DRM, that's no surprise.

smile.png

Sean_sl

shitlord
I can't say that I would care at all if either of them did it. I never buy used games to begin with, they're pretty much a rip off at this point. At Gamestop they're only like 5 dollars less than a brand new copy that usually comes with an online pass or something, so what's the point of buying them? For games that have been out a while they're not any cheaper either and you can usually find better deals on brand new copies at Amazon and the like over any used game place.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Almost all new games go down in price to ~$40 within 4 to 6 weeks, so I'm fine either waiting for a new game or getting it on Redbox if its available. I have so many games backlogged that I almost never need to get a game right away.

forgive my ignorance, but can you stream HBOGO and Amazon Instant via PSN?

Penance

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can't say that I would care at all if either of them did it. I never buy used games to begin with, they're pretty much a rip off at this point. At Gamestop they're only like 5 dollars less than a brand new copy that usually comes with an online pass or something, so what's the point of buying them? For games that have been out a while they're not any cheaper either and you can usually find better deals on brand new copies at Amazon and the like over any used game place.
I think your severely underestimating the value of the second hand market. Obviously used games at Gamestop are bullshit, but what about craigslist? Or hell, I've gotten most of my used games from my friends. Me and my friends also swap games all the time, so what will that do us there? I see where your coming from, but I feel that you should be able to hand over ownership of anything you own. What about Gamefly? I'm assuming they will be partnering with Xbox do release some DRM thingie. However, I feel this might be a step in the wrong direction. Its not like pirating is huge on consoles anyway.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Its not like pirating is huge on consoles anyway.
DRM to kill the second hand market has nothing to do with pirating. These companies know they are spewing bullshit when they whine about pirating. When a game is sold on the second hand market the developer/publisher don't see a dime. That is why they want crazy DRM that kill the second hand market.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you don't think pirating is huge (or would be) on consoles think back to what happened with Dreamcast. Sure, there were a lot of problems with the system, but once they cracked the bootloader the system was done. I never bought a single game for the system and had probably 80-100 games.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The bulk of PS3 exclusives, sure, but there are still many high-profile PS3 exclusives that were popular in America that were never ported to xbox/pc.
I think you'll find that almost all of those were produced by studios that Sony either owns or has publishing deals with.

I'm fine with killing used game sales, but not fine if it takes out rentals in the process. The developers just need to get a cut from GameFly/Redbox/etc., similar to what movie studios get. GameSpot should simply be destroyed.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you don't think pirating is huge (or would be) on consoles think back to what happened with Dreamcast. Sure, there were a lot of problems with the system, but once they cracked the bootloader the system was done. I never bought a single game for the system and had probably 80-100 games.
This is the situation that the PS3 is currently in. It's ridiculously easy to hack at this point.