The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
so you acknowledge that smart phones in 7-8 years will be on par as the PS4/Xbox720, but you don't believe that eventually smart phones will dock to TVs/monitors and replace traditional PCS and consoles?
And the next generation 5 years after the upcoming one is going to be even more powerful and mobile devices will take years again to catch up. There's not some magical ceiling on power and we are no where near a cap on graphical fidelity. Plus the issue of Storage alone makes mobile devices replacing dedicated gaming hardware is a complete fantasy until Cloud Gaming can become a reality. Their CPU/GPU power is pretty irrelevant.

Games are going to get bigger and bigger with 50gb blu-ray discs being a standard and developers being unshackled from DVD sizes and the horrible memory issues of this last generation's consoles. They're going to use up every bit of those discs. I just do not see smartphones coming with multiple Terabytes of storage as a standard by the time the next generation rolls around in 5-6 years.

I'm totally on board with mobile devices being the future for everything, but that is a future that is alotfarther away than some people think it is. It's a total pipedream until the US gets its act together with our shitty fucking internet situation.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
There's not some magical ceiling on power...
Actually, we're getting closer to the point where the never-ending shrinking of processor components starts running into some hard rules of physics. At that point (16nm dies or thereabouts, iirc) there's going to have to either be a rather significant step into a completely new architecture or Moore's Law bites it. It won't be this generation of consoles, or the next. Itmightbe the one after, or maybe the one after that.

Sean_sl

shitlord
point is there is more to the move to 4k than the bigger resolution if that doesn't tickle your fancy. whatever encoding is irrelevant if the TV isn't capable of producing the color. they recently finalized rec. 2020 that specifies all TVs being sold as 4K or ultra HD are going to have to be capable of a much wider color range than we've ever had before. it's probably more exciting than the resolution upgrade is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rec._2020
You mean they require 10 bit color aka Deep Color/30 bit output as a standard. Guess what, tons of good TVsalreadydo that. There's just not much video content made for it. Also, the PS3 has been able to output it since release day. The capability to output that is not anywhere near new. It's good that they're going to *eventually* require broadcasts to use it, but 4k TVs are not bringing it to the table as a new feature by any stretch of the imagination.

You should be more excited for 1080p OLED TVs than caring about any 4k TV. They're a much bigger jump in image quality.

Sean_sl

shitlord
3D's not going away. It's a standard feature on all but the cheapest of 2013 models. It's here to stay, but it's taken a back seat to Smart TV feature sets as far as marketing goes and they'll probably not push it in our faces anymore.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
CES this year had an encouragingly tiny amount of 3D-related product being demo'd with most TV manufacturers switching frantically to 4kHD as The Next Big Thing. 3D was a gimmick (again) and until someone comes up with a holographic telly showingrealthree-dimensional images viewable from any angle and without any stupid sodding glasses, it's going tostaya gimmick.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
so you acknowledge that smart phones in 7-8 years will be on par as the PS4/Xbox720, but you don't believe that eventually smart phones will dock to TVs/monitors and replace traditional PCS and consoles?
I don't acknowledge that. We don't know the hardware specs of the next gen consoles nor smartphones 8 years from now, but I would wager that it's probably a similar difference in computational power between an Xbox360 and an iphone5 (around 7 years difference in release date).

Note that an iphone5 puts out 25gflops, an xbox 360 puts out 240 and an xbox had 21. Also my gpu payload puts out 4032 gflops.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/t...rmance-preview
http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/05/...ation-3?page=3
http://forum.teamxbox.com/archive/in.../t-422171.html
http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...hd_6870,2.html

Note that gflop output isn't a complete encapsulation of a platform's graphic capacity, but it's a decent way to measure it anyway.

All this to say that no, we're not putting new AAA titles on smartphones in the next ten years.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Actually, we're getting closer to the point where the never-ending shrinking of processor components starts running into some hard rules of physics. At that point (16nm dies or thereabouts, iirc) there's going to have to either be a rather significant step into a completely new architecture or Moore's Law bites it. It won't be this generation of consoles, or the next. Itmightbe the one after, or maybe the one after that.
as mentioned earlier in this thread, intel is targeting a 5nm process in 2019
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/int...5nm,17578.html

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those hard rules pertain to the limiting factors of silicon. Physicists are already working on a replacement.

Also, 3D isn't going away since Hollywood will keep shoving it down our throats to be able to charge a few extra bucks. It may not be the selling point for a TV anymore but it will basically become (or already is) a standard feature.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
No posts this morning? That's bullshit, someone argue with me about this thread please.

Sean_sl

shitlord
No posts this morning? That's bullshit, someone argue with me about this thread please.
Here's something to speculate - the PS4/X720 will be $350-400 tops, depending on models. Though I suspect the PS4 will only have a single model. Also, the X720 will launch with a $99 + 2 year lease plan.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Heard a rumor the two systems will team with cable companies where $100 + service agreement nets you a new console and it can then serve as a cable box. It would be a great step forward if true.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Get ready for optical computing. I can bet the next big thing will be optical..

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Here's something to speculate - the PS4/X720 will be $350-400 tops, depending on models. Though I suspect the PS4 will only have a single model. Also, the X720 will launch with a $99 + 2 year lease plan.
Interesting thought. I'll never understand why people are more okay paying c*1.5 dollars over 2 years than c dollars up front.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Interesting thought. I'll never understand why people are more okay paying c*1.5 dollars over 2 years than c dollars up front.
Because poor people are stupid and terrible at saving money.

I'm pretty much 99% sure the $99 + 2 year lease will happen. They started that program on the X360 specifically as a test bed for using it on the X720 and it's been going on for over a year now. You can get it at the Microsoft Store, Best Buy, Gamestop, Wal-Mart, and maybe a couple other places right now.

Here's the program:http://www.gamestop.com/mrkt/landing...nment-for-All/

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
Uh...4K3D, son!
You bastard. You evil, evil bastard...
You give classes?

rrr_img_12214.jpg

rrr_img_12214.jpg