The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
If 3D wasn't such a nonsense gimmick, 4k/2160p would actually be a fairly big thing for it due to the way that 3D halves resolution in Passive 3D.

But fuck 3D.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's not a gimmick. If producers (movies) or developers (games) actually pay attention to it and put some work into making it good, 3D can make a real impact on immersion. Killzone 3 looks amazing, and Assassins Creed 3 environments had me stopping my tracks a few times.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Don't like the ring of Xbox 720. Xbox 4000 or Xbox 7000 sound better. And with valve entering the market with a console, I wonder how things will play out.

chilansl

Molten Core Raider
Xbox 720
Xbox 1440
Xbox 18,060,000,000 (their Q4 revenue)
Xbox Niobium
Xbox Niobium Pro
Xbox Weapons Grade Balonium

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's not a gimmick. If producers (movies) or developers (games) actually pay attention to it and put some work into making it good, 3D can make a real impact on immersion. Killzone 3 looks amazing, and Assassins Creed 3 environments had me stopping my tracks a few times.
Except fuck wearing glasses.

Don't like the ring of Xbox 720. Xbox 4000 or Xbox 7000 sound better. And with valve entering the market with a console, I wonder how things will play out.
If the rumored specs of the Steambox are true, it will fail miserably and have zero impact.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Except fuck wearing glasses.
Passive glasses are fine. They're not very dark and they're comfortable/light. It'll be a moot point anyway once we all have 4k curved displays with no-glasses 3D + illumiroom.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Whoever said that smartphones will catch up with consoles...never. Batteries are improving pretty slowly and if you look at gaming laptops, those usually last 2-3 hours. Yeah, you could somehow limit the hardware so it doesn't eat up so much power, but then why put it in in the first place ?

Cor_sl

shitlord
Here's something to speculate - the PS4/X720 will be $350-400 tops, depending on models. Though I suspect the PS4 will only have a single model.Also, the X720 will launch with a $99 + 2 year lease plan.
This is why Microsoft will dominate next gen. Well, in the US anyway. I don't see how Sony will be able to compete with that sort of pricing.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
This is why Microsoft will dominate next gen. Well, in the US anyway. I don't see how Sony will be able to compete with that sort of pricing.
That's actually a good question, with rise of F2P and regions like SEA and China, which are PC dominated, is US going to be as relevant as this gen ? I mean, you still have the most money, but I'd say the number of people playing there can definitely compete. Most people here don't give a damn about Xbox Live and Itunes, because if you wanted to use them you had to use the german stores or they flat out refused to work for your IP (Hi, GFWL) until like 3-4 years ago and that's for a country in EU.

I can see something like Steambox being competitive when it comes to fight for the living room, simply because you can customize it for yourself and it comes with no proprietary system, if Valve keeps up on its word on it being more of a set of specs you should follow and people here are generally a bit more tech savvy, because we get like +10-20% on top of what you pay in US with lower living standard, so you have to spend smarter.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Graphics aren't where I think hardware improvements will make the biggest difference. I'm more interested in seeing larger environments and more shit happening on screen. I think modern games have been very good at hiding the fact that they're even being limited at all through the clever use of things like set piece moments and prerendered backgrounds. You have gorgeous games like Gears of Wars that I can't help but feel when playing them that they're scaled back due to hardware limitations. Would be nice to see game worlds just open up a bit more.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Hardware is precisely the reason you get scaled-back environments, fighting in hallways instead of arenas. The hardware can't handle having to draw that much more content at the same visual quality as what you're used to. Especially not if you want that newfound space to be filled with characters (high poly) instead of environments (low poly).

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you had to pick one next gen console based off 1st gen titles (which is really the only factor for me), which would you choose?

Shano

Golden Knight of the Realm
1st gen as in beginning of it's creation (original Mario, FF etc)? If so Nintendo would be the answer for me, even though PS1 had my favorite game ever on it: Xenogears. Still hoping to play the 2nd half of the story one day before I die
frown.png

frown.png

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't even consider Nintendo as a thing anymore. WiiU isn't a nextgen console. It is a last gen console released 3 to 5 years too late.

I meant between PS4 and 720. Also, I typed the wrong thing, I meant console exclusive titles. My bad.

Blide_sl

shitlord
There's so few exclusives that now it really depends on which ecosystem and controller you prefer. Personally I'll go with Microsoft since I find my PS3 is hardly getting used.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Have WIIU and I will get PS4. Unsure about Xbox 720. I barely use my 360 as it is. What it comes down to me is exclusives and the PS4 will have them because Sony has a very nice first party lineup while MS just has GoW and Halo which neither interest me at all. I won't even take Xbox Live into consideration because PSN+ is so much better now it isn't even funny. Microsoft has really dropped the ball with Xbox Live. It used to be the superior service but not anymore.

Odds are I end up with all three. There will be an Xbox exclusive I want to play eventually.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
TBH both Sony and MS have exclusives that I don't really want to be without next generation. I love me some Zelda but I don't see myself getting a WiiU at any point.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
High end PC + Sony console, same as always. The 360 had exactly one game I regret not having gotten to at least try: Lost Odyssey. Everything else that was "exclusive" came out on PC sooner or later. Sony, on the other hand, has actual exclusives that stay that way forever. I don't see anything changing next gen in that regard.