The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Sean_sl

shitlord
I think you're on to something in regards to consoles especially, with the cases being uniform so long they are like a dvd collection for most people who buy a decent chunk of games.
Yeah, I absolutely love my physical collection. I need a new bookshelf to hold my games, my current one is overfilled. There's just something about a shelf full of games that gives me more of an emotional attachment to them. I can look over at the shelf and it's like a gigantic collection of fond memories for me. I don't feel that at all with my digital libraries.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Alternatively I look at my giant DVD collection and think, "look at all the money I've wasted on this stupid out-dated technology."

It's not the same thing at all, my movies have been strictly upgraded. I'm just sayin...fuckin Blu-Rays.

Fuya_sl

shitlord
Both Sony and Microsoft will want their players to be more digital consumers than physical. It all depends on which company copies the steam profile of online commerce. As of today it looks like Microsoft is somewhat understanding how to move their player based more to an digital purchase mindset with massive 75% off sales.

http://majornelson.com/2013/02/22/th...ate-game-sale/

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yeah, I absolutely love my physical collection. I need a new bookshelf to hold my games, my current one is overfilled. There's just something about a shelf full of games that gives me more of an emotional attachment to them. I can look over at the shelf and it's like a gigantic collection of fond memories for me. I don't feel that at all with my digital libraries.
I ran out of space when my wife moved in and brought all of her games with her. Had to punt all my NES/SNES stuff to make room for her PSX/PS2 games. That said, we both prefer keeping physical media rather than having it all digital (even if I do take backups of the rarer ones just in case -- it would be tough to find another original copy of Valkyrie Profile or Suikoden II, for example). We do our best to find old copies of games that people trade in or don't want anymore just to keep the collection going.

I find it somewhat funny that we don't care about physical copies of PC media, but as far as console games go, they're sacrosanct.

Szlia

Alternatively I look at my giant DVD collection and think, "look at all the money I've wasted on this stupid out-dated technology."

It's not the same thing at all, my movies have been strictly upgraded. I'm just sayin...fuckin Blu-Rays.
I never bought many DVDs: my several boxes filled with VHS acted as a cautionary tale!

All joke aside I think there is a big difference between a DVD collection and a game collection: with movies, the "original" object is the film print* and the "original" experience is the projection in a theater, so a VHS or a DVD or even a Blue Ray watched at home is only a trace of this original. It's only in a very few cases where the LD/VHS/DVD/BRD edition is a collector item in and by itself (there are many efforts to make "collector editions" though, but most are lame cash grabs).

With a video game, the thing you buy is the original (or at least one of the originals considering the different regional versions), the thing you experience is the original experience. On top of that it's an industry with few re-releases. Add the succession of generations of machines that guarantees obsolescence and its only natural for the games to become collectors' items. For console the effect is reinforced I think because of the branding and the set platform that makes the games a more coherent object (though there is something to be said about the creativity that went into some of the computer games cardboard boxes of the '80s and '90s).

* this is arguable but let's not get allWalter Benjaminin here.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Both Sony and Microsoft will want their players to be more digital consumers than physical. It all depends on which company copies the steam profile of online commerce. As of today it looks like Microsoft is somewhat understanding how to move their player based more to an digital purchase mindset with massive 75% off sales.

I do think you're right on the Microsoft is closer to copying steam effectively than Sony, I think a decent amount of that could be just nationality issues - the deciders of Microsoft are northwestern us (just like valve) and Sony still has a lot of traditional Japanese obviously in its business models. Just like we see obvious differences in game design and genres.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Honestly, I'd say game collections are the biggest reason I miss being a primarily console gamer. My copies of SNES FFIII (VI) and ALttP which both still have the fucking original purchase receipts from 91 or whatever speak to my OCD nature of this.

Don't even get me started on the 1000+ DVD collection that I left with my ex wife. I did take a huge chunk of the bluray collection.

Caeden

Oh fuck. I know what I'm doing when I get home. I see several I want to play. Now if MS would just start putting dollars instead of points so I don't have to convert.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Oh fuck. I know what I'm doing when I get home. I see several I want to play. Now if MS would just start putting dollars instead of points so I don't have to convert.
That, right there, is my single biggest complaint with respect to the various stores. Points. Fuck points. Use dollars. I don't want to have to guess how many points I need to buy shit, and I definitely don't want to have to buy more points than I need just to be able to afford something.

As much as this makes me shudder a bit, Steam has it right in this respect.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
between having a digital library that'll never get destroyed vs a bunch of physical copies I can masturbate on I'll take the digital copies.

That being said I've kept all my game manuals in my closet and the only thing keeping me from arguing with my wife about how cluttered our closet is, is the fact that I'll never give up my game manuals but it has zero purpose.

Sean_sl

shitlord
You can use cash on all of those games in the sale, you don't have to use points. You can use points if you want too though. All Games are purchasable on XBL with regular dollars. It's only DLC that currently requires MS points and hopefully they do away with that soon.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
between having a digital library that'll never get destroyed vs a bunch of physical copies I can masturbate on I'll take the digital copies.

That being said I've kept all my game manuals in my closet and the only thing keeping me from arguing with my wife about how cluttered our closet is, is the fact that I'll never give up my game manuals but it has zero purpose.
What about digital copies which can't be played on any system that's in manufacture anymore?

They sure don't make digital manuals like they used to. Nowadays if I get a manual that's more than 4 pages, it must be for a Wii game cause they print that shit in 12 languages and fill it with instructions on how not to hurl your wiimote through your television.

Blide_sl

shitlord
Am I the minority in that I rarely ever come back to play old games? I still have my collection from the previous generations intact but they just sit there. The drop in graphical quality is just too much for me to enjoy on an HDTV set.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
No, people conflate the importance for the mostpart - but there's a few gems that bring you back.

Like my SNES I have for just ChronoTrigger since I hate the other rereleases controls except GameBoy but that's too tiny to enjoy the same.

Realistically though otherwise I've been able to use an emulator to do any other so I'm not too worried myself - especially since people are still making fake SNES,Genesis, etcs today

Caliane

pretty rarely. Occasionally an old PC game.

And lets be real, if I really want to play an SNES game, or whatever. My SNES still fucking works. why the hell would I care if my Wii can't play snes games? Complaining about backwards compat is pretty stupid most often.

The only real complaint is games that are actually not playable anymore. PC games have this problem with new OS's as most know. Getting something like BG or planescape to run on win 7 or 8. not fun.
Or old games that had onlineplay. 10 years from now, playing something with always on DRM might be impossible. You have to trust the company that runs it, wont shut it down.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Almost any old game still worth playing is better when emulated with higher res graphics. No reason to keep physical copies or old hardware.

Caeden

There's something to be said for revisiting for nostalgia. Hell, I still have one 26" CRT tv that my SNES is on.

Sean_sl

shitlord
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-april-26.aspx

An associate editor of the website CVG says that his sources have told him that Microsoft is planning an event on April 26 to unveil the next Xbox to the world.

CVG associate editor Rob Crossley recently tweeted: "The next Xbox event is scheduled for April 26th, I've been told by someone I trust. Microsoft may change date, obvs, but diarise tentatively."

While this is far from official confirmation, it makes sense that Microsoft would not wait until E3 to talk about its next system, given that Sony has already shows some of its cards regarding the PlayStation 4. More on this story to come.

khysanth_sl

shitlord
Almost any old game still worth playing is better when emulated with higher res graphics. No reason to keep physical copies or old hardware.
I agree in most cases. I think if you can't play the emulated version on a proper television-size screen, that can leave something to be desired. Also you need a gamepad that feels good (XBOX 360 USB controller is where it's at IMO).