The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

spronk

FPS noob
My understanding is the $22/mo deal is for an Xbox One S, and for an X its $35/mo. Both include game pass and GWG afaik, you can't buy it without them. Get the X its worth the upgrade over the S for gaming (S is fine for media player).

There really aren't any must have games for the X unfortunately. RDR 1 in BC is great. The various Halo's are ok to play if you have a boner for them. Sunset Overdrive is fine. Nothing I'd call a 10/10 game like Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU, etc. X is also good for future multi plats like RDR 2, the Ubisoft franchises, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Someone please tell me there's a better way to use a controller in 3d games with camera movement other than claw-grip. I can't handle using my right thumb for both camera and right buttons at the same time without it being pittiful, and decades of PC use has my hands too damn screwed up to do claw.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Someone please tell me there's a better way to use a controller in 3d games with camera movement other than claw-grip. I can't handle using my right thumb for both camera and right buttons at the same time without it being pittiful, and decades of PC use has my hands too damn screwed up to do claw.
You could get one of these to map the buttons to the extra triggers... (I should scold myself for suggesting a $150 controller to "solve" your problem)

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller| Xbox One

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
My understanding is the $22/mo deal is for an Xbox One S, and for an X its $35/mo. Both include game pass and GWG afaik, you can't buy it without them. Get the X its worth the upgrade over the S for gaming (S is fine for media player).

There really aren't any must have games for the X unfortunately. RDR 1 in BC is great. The various Halo's are ok to play if you have a boner for them. Sunset Overdrive is fine. Nothing I'd call a 10/10 game like Bloodborne, God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU, etc. X is also good for future multi plats like RDR 2, the Ubisoft franchises, etc.

Just confirmed this, it is the full bundle, with 24 months Game Pass and Xbox Live.

This is what it's showing in your cart: $839.76 / 24 = $34.99 for XBOX ONE X

$499.99 Console, $59.99 12Mo XBOX Live x2, $99 12Mo Game Pass x2
$499.99 + $119.98 + $198.00= $817.97 (-$21.97)

...though the Game Pass is usually $119.88/12mo. So variable pricing at play, and you wouldn't get the promo if you purchased the items separately.

I was hoping it would be the console alone like it was during testing, but alas, it was not to be. Was ok with $499/24 = $21/mo, not so much for $35. $15/mo for Live/Game Pass.... ehhhh.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You could get one of these to map the buttons to the extra triggers... (I should scold myself for suggesting a $150 controller to "solve" your problem)

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller| Xbox One

I considered it actually, but the price is too high for my limited amount of controller usage. I mostly just play PS4 exclusives and use an xbox 360 controller for a few small number of PC games, but it's a real shitty experience when the game involves combat & camera movement

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I considered it actually, but the price is too high for my limited amount of controller usage. I mostly just play PS4 exclusives and use an xbox 360 controller for a few small number of PC games, but it's a real shitty experience when the game involves combat & camera movement

And the camera is not very smart, and also doesn't move when controlled in a smooth manner (left right is slow, up down fast as fuck, without a customization option, kinna had this problem with Spider-Man).

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Just confirmed this, it is the full bundle, with 24 months Game Pass and Xbox Live.

This is what it's showing in your cart: $839.76 / 24 = $34.99 for XBOX ONE X

$499.99 Console, $59.99 12Mo XBOX Live x2, $99 12Mo Game Pass x2
$499.99 + $119.98 + $198.00= $817.97 (-$21.97)

...though the Game Pass is usually $119.88/12mo. So variable pricing at play, and you wouldn't get the promo if you purchased the items separately.

I was hoping it would be the console alone like it was during testing, but alas, it was not to be. Was ok with $499/24 = $21/mo, not so much for $35. $15/mo for Live/Game Pass.... ehhhh.

Also can get live for as low as around 34 a year on sales. Haven’t seen a gamepass sale but I bet it comes soon with annual sub discounts. Paying about 100 more (roughly) over time. Also right now can get an Xbox one X at Walmart for 449. Taking also in effect price depreciation over time of the X (I would guess 399 shortly by Christmas) it’s going to be quite more expensive on a payment plan.

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
Apologies if its already been covered, but I’d like some input on if I should go all-in on PS VR?

I’m pretty intrigued, but the current catalogue of games seems kind of thin.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
It's 2 years old next month, if there isn't enough software you're interested in to make it worth your purchase now I'd probably hold off.

spronk

FPS noob
Apologies if its already been covered, but I’d like some input on if I should go all-in on PS VR?

I’m pretty intrigued, but the current catalogue of games seems kind of thin.

its pretty fun a few times but the games are weak. i have both an oculus and a PSVR and i can't tell you the last time I turned either one on honestly. There are zero games of the caliber of Spider-Man, God of War, GTA, Bloodborne, etc so its hard to justify spending time playing VR games when I have a near infinite amount of better non VR games to play.

I'd still try a demo, a few people just fall in love with VR and for them its absolutely perfect, for example I actually put my PSVR (and a 2nd ps4 pro) into my dad's house because a few hours a week he just loves running all the VR tourism apps and seeing places like Egypt or South America in VR. He has zero interest in games, just the immersion tech of VR fascinates him. And the rest of us love watching him flail around in the living room lol

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I love my PSVR and the only reason it isn't used more is because I need to disconnect it due to not having HDR pass through. Other than that, there are some great games at a good value. I still, however, cannot play RE:7 in VR without ripping off the headset in fear at one point or another. Other games I have are pretty immersive with the aim controller. It definitely fails in comparison to the games content when looking at games that Spronk listed above, but VR is a weird deal where frankly I do not mind having more shorter games in VR for a lower price point.

With that said, Skyrim in VR is pretty damn epic :)

For me it was worth the price (Which I won at Bingo that night and went to Best Buy to buy it) to see my wife in a VR shark cage and our dog Bailey licked her hand and she just about had a heart attack. Oh and I threw my 78 year old mom into the Kitchen demo - and that was just outright hilarious. "Oh look at that.... she looks like not a very nice person..... ....... UTNAYAN GET THIS OFF ME!"

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I've quite enjoyed my GearVR tethered to my S8+, but still couldn't see the value in actually purchasing an Oculus or PSVR. Bridge Commander had me on the edge, however, but I never jumped. The tech made a monumental leap recently with the power of both micro display quality, device performance, and gyroscopic/motion sensing, buy I see a critical mass happening soon where it's less 3D movie gimmick. It just needs to become affordable, and supported by developers.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Skyrim VR, Wipeout, RE7, Farpoint with the aim, Rush of Blood, and Superhot easily easily make it worth it. There are just a ton of games I've played and enjoyed on the platform and they go on sale all the time.

Skyrim VR was absolutely amazing and I never finished the 2d version of the game because I got so bored.

Wait for BF deals and you can likely get a super good deal.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I've quite enjoyed my GearVR tethered to my S8+, but still couldn't see the value in actually purchasing an Oculus or PSVR. Bridge Commander had me on the edge, however, but I never jumped. The tech made a monumental leap recently with the power of both micro display quality, device performance, and gyroscopic/motion sensing, buy I see a critical mass happening soon where it's less 3D movie gimmick. It just needs to become affordable, and supported by developers.

Is the gear VR the only VR you have tried?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I also have an S8+ with GearVR, they really aren't comparable.

The biggest issue with VR is nausea. Some people can handle it and with experience get their VR legs and are not bothered by it anymore, other people get sick once or twice and decide it's not for them and give up.

Other big issue for PSVR would be tracking and controls, but that doesn't stop games from being a shit ton of fun.

I suspect the next version of PSVR will fix a lot of these issues.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Is the gear VR the only VR you have tried?
Nah, a buddy has the Oculus with a top of the line PC (Subnautica gives me chills). I would buy one under the $300 price point. For the longest time $600 seemed unreasonable, and even at the current $400 price point. I really should own one, given I have a pair of 1080Ti's, but alas. Haven't tried the PSVR, but knew the PS had tracking/control precision issues. Only recently picked up the PS4 Pro (at your suggestion, and totally glad I did for the $369 I spent for it, GoW, Spider-Man, Wipeout, and FIFA18), but still not seeing the value of its VR thus far. I'm not seeing a runway of games, when the PS5 is already being talked about.

Sidenote I have zero issues with motion sickness, and have used my GearVR to watch long ass movies like Avatar and Infinity War. So I'm a prime candidate for the tech.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
I wouldn't touch PCVR until the next gen of that comes out tbh. Haven't had any experience with the Vive pro though, maybe that's good enough?

PSVR during BF you might be able to get for $200-250 depending on the version you get. There are a ton of games and many will also be on sale. Wipeout is a billion times better in VR.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Vive is much better than the PSVR(either Vive). I returned my PSVR the day after I got it, since the Vive spoiled me for it. That said, I don't use my Vive at all any more either. Maybe if I had a dedicated VR room/gaming room, I would use it more frequently.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
"better", except the PSVR has great exclusives, no god rays, and a more comfortable set up for longer periods of use. Yeah it's certainly better in a lot of ways, but I wouldn't go buying the older PC versions now until they've taken what they've learned and released better headsets. (Vive has but is it good enough? I dunno)

• 1Like