The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I still hate the way the PS3 controllers force you to plug it in to charge, and it doesn't look like that's changing. I much prefer the Xbox 360 battery solution.

Cor_sl

shitlord
I prefer Sony's approach. If the batteries are running low, I can plug the controller in to my laptop, one of the many usb power plugs I have laying around, or the console itself. Thinking about it, I don't think I've ever had a problem charging my PS3 controllers.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
The problem I had with the PS3 controller is if you left you PS3 on and say, fell asleep, the controller stays on the entire time, running down the battery.

The X360 controller would turn off after a certain amount of inactivity.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Heh, stay away from the Vita - possibly the best PS4 accessory - if proprietary stuff upsets you so much. Their memory card scheme is probably the worst case of forcing something proprietary in the last couple console generations.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure when he (and myself earlier on this page) refers to Apple changing their shit it's the new iPhone 5 charger/data jack being completely different than every other Apple device released before it.
I understand that, but that was one change in over what, 17 generations of mobile products? Again, I think Apple holds back technology and most of their fans are retards. But the comparison in this case doesn't hold water.

Thank goodness Sony never uses proprietary formats!
Meanwhile, the PlayStation 4, priced at $399 - $100 less than the Microsoft console - comes with a mono headset which plugs directly into the Dualshock 4 controller. Its camera, however, will be sold separately.

It also bears mentioning that the PlayStation 4features a standard headset jackand the Xbox One's is proprietary, limiting the options available on Microsoft's console, though third-party headsets are already in the works.
http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-vs-ps...gins-577590186

For anyone that owns a turtle beach headset with their PS3, it will work with, gasp, their PS4 without having to plunk down anywhere from $50-150. And since it comes with one mono headset packaged in the damn box (These things cost pennies to make for Christ sake) and is $100 less than the Xbone to boot, it's another reason why Microsoft sucks and their nickle and diming is getting old. Sony is way more consumer friendly this time around, which makes it an easy purchase.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Heh, stay away from the Vita - possibly the best PS4 accessory - if proprietary stuff upsets you so much. Their memory card scheme is probably the worst case of forcing something proprietary in the last couple console generations.
Yeah that shit pisses me right the fuck off too, tbh. Another thing Sony did on the Vita that sucks balls is they made it so that downloaded games/apps work like Apple's on ipad/iphone devices, which means unless the application has a way to delete a save from within the game itself, you have to delete the entire game and all your saves along with it to remove said saves/game from your memory card.

Partly they did that because the PSP was hacked repeatedly by downloading saves that were reverse engineered, but it was still a stupid decision on Sony's part.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Sony isway more consumer friendly this time around, which makes it an easy purchase.
No one is arguing that. I just said Sony loves proprietary shit as much as any other corporation. Blu ray, memory stick, betamax, atrac, DAT, minidisc, UMD, and what was already mentioned with all the PS Vita memory card shit. The PS Vita cards were like $120 for 32gb when you could find SD cars for less than half that cost.

Good for them that so far the PS4 seems more consumer friendly. I'm just saying there is five months still before launch and Sony wants to make a profit just like everyone else and they are the kings of proprietary formats up there with Apple.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No one is arguing that. I just said Sony loves proprietary shit as much as any other corporation. Blu ray, memory stick, betamax, atrac, DAT, minidisc, UMD, and what was already mentioned with all the PS Vita memory card shit. The PS Vita cards were like $120 for 32gb when you could find SD cars for less than half that cost.
Aside from the Vita memory cards, which I fully agree with, the rest is Sony trying to develop a standard, which also resulted in a standards based war which almost every manufacturer of this technology has been involved in at one point or another. Betamax against VHS. VHS won. Blu-Ray against HD-DVD - Blu-ray won. UMD still used standards based encoding. (H.264 and Mpeg) either way, they were trying to win a standard to provide physical media for portable products - Digital streaming took over this market. They lost. Atrac was a separate compression for audio which was needed to strive for their goal of standardizing portable physical media. They lost. But regardless, Sharp and Panasonic both followed with their own versions. And DAT was in competition with Phillips DCC.

These are all far and beyond different than Microsoft fucking with their consumer base by changing a standards based audio plug from the Edison days to fuck their customers so they are forced to buy more accessories. Unless of course you are saying that Microsoft is now trying to create a new standard of audio other than 3.5mm?

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Unless of course you are saying that Microsoft is now trying to create a new standard of audio other than 3.5mm?
Nah, even I'm not that naive. Microsoft is trying to force people to buy new headsets because they want more money. I think it's retarded but at least I didn't invest in an expensive Xbox 360 headset like my little brother and some of my friends, so I'm not out much. Still sucks though.

I just think crucifying Microsoft for it when every company does it, is silly. Like you said though, it's just another stone on the pile that makes PS4 look like the better purchase so far.

Sean_sl

shitlord
The Vita memory card bullshit is fucking enraging and absolutely retarded as fuck. They are so dumb for doing that shit and the cost of those things *must* have hurt sales, I know it's been a big deterrent to me buying one. It jacks the price of the unit way the fuck up if you want any decent amount of storage.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So has MS tried to at least bullshit their way into an excuse for fucking with the headphone jack?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
"According to multiple sources, in the months leading up to E3, Sony nixed plans to include the camera add-on with every system and shave $100 off its originally planned price of $499."

Adding costs to their system for features not everyone wants is just common sense but this is pretty bad journalism to quote anon sources that claim it allowed them to lower the price $100, especially when the fucking thing has a msrp of $60.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's pretty obvious that Sony was planning on bundling the camera when you look back at their original PS4 announcement and how much time they spent on the Move functionality of the controller.