The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Well it’s basically a PC running a modified version of windows, but a little hard to believe when MS’s focus is game pass ultimate and Xcloud.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With PS4 Pro there's barely any difference between SSD and a Firecuda SSHD (provided you stick to one game and let the cache do its thing), certainly not enough to warrant the extra cost. Doubly so right now when the 2TB Firecuda is on sale for $60 at Amazon.

Xbone X has a better disk subsystem so for that I went with [external] SSD.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
With PS4 Pro there's barely any difference between SSD and a Firecuda SSHD (provided you stick to one game and let the cache do its thing), certainly not enough to warrant the extra cost. Doubly so right now when the 2TB Firecuda is on sale for $60 at Amazon.

Xbone X has a better disk subsystem so for that I went with [external] SSD.
there isn't any "instant gratification" with the firecuda, you still have load from slow hhd to ssd then have the system read it, one guy tested it and it took him like 5 reloads of the same zone in ffxv to get the same performance of a ssd, price drops now are crazy, sure you can have a sshd 2tb for 60$ or a mx500 1tb for $100

when i popped in the ssd and my wife was playing ffxv like usual and she loaded a zone, she picked up her ipad like usual (cuz it takes like 2mins to load usually) and then withing 30s she was done and she was amazed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

FF XV is an extreme outlier when it comes to SSD performance benefits on both consoles.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
My Firecuda was amazing for 12 TZA load times on the Pro. Mileage may vary? Either way they're going to NVMe it up next gen.

Vorph

Yeah, that's why I ended up going with a Silicon Power external 1TB for my X1X. It's USB-C 3.1 gen 2 even though the X can't use the latest standard, but it will still be useful for PC stuff once the X1X is retired for PS5 and/or Series X. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a Samsung T5 too, despite having similar benchmarks.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Honestly the thing I’m looking forward to much more than anything else next gen is reduced load times. I would have upgraded my ps4 to SSD but everything I’ve seen shows such a marginal upgrade that it isn’t really worth it

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Not just better load times. If the rumors about the NVME's utilizing server techniques by being integrated into the board and using free ram as well, then we'll be looking at consoles actually having some advantage over PC's in one area for the first time... ever?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You know what's going to suck? All the "remastered" versions of PS4 games for the PS5, for full price. Them being backwards compatible will make it easy as fuck for them to do, while allowing for the increased console performance to drive 60fps/better visuals.

I feel like I'll end up buying remasters of some of the games I already own just to take advantage of the improvements.