The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I mean, that makes sense, doesn't it? One X titles typically target a higher resolution than the entire concept the Series S is built around. Will make for some interesting analysis/comparisons closer to release.
I don’t own an X, but is resolution really the only difference between versions? I’d have assumed there were lots of settings and tweaks that get applied for the XboneX version to make it stand out from the XBoneS version.

I'm pretty sure the RAM is not the limiting factor here, but the scaled down GPU which must be way easier to get good yields for AMD and thus cost way less to MS.

Edit: duh ,did not realize we were talking about backward compatible games, thought we were talking about Series X enhancements on the Series S.
Would be helpful if Microsoft would stop being so retarded with their naming.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I don’t own an X, but is resolution really the only difference between versions? I’d have assumed there were lots of settings and tweaks that get applied for the XboneX version to make it stand out from the XBoneS version.

Would be helpful if Microsoft would stop being so retarded with their naming.

The naming is beyond retarded.

the X Runs faster looks better I mean wtf would buy a shitty S unless you wanted a extra for your red headed step son.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
X enhancements are roughly the same as PS4 Pro: resolution, framerate, AA, lighting, shadows, AO, reflections, etc.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
X enhancements are roughly the same as PS4 Pro: resolution, framerate, AA, lighting, shadows, AO, reflections, etc.

You know we getting the PS5 Pro edition.

Nobody got time for the LA Gears version.

giphy.gif

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Say what you want - PS5 has games but theyre pulling an AMD atm with the sudden silence - atleast AMD didnt say they were about to announce then run into a corner.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

Ol Utnayan Utnayan sound system will go to waste it seems

So is this to be interpreted as PS5 won't support Dolby Vision NOR will it support Dolby Atmos!?!?!?

If so, Sony just took a massive cockslapping. Sony is one of the main backers of Dolby Vision (all their good TVs offer Dolby Vision) and they can't just go and start supporting their chief rival Samsung's shitty free knockoff (HDR 10+). They're stuck with HDR10 at that point, which is absolute dogshit compared to Dolby Vision. Not to mention, Dolby Vision has pretty much locked down the HDR format war at this point, so buying a PS5 would be akin to buying an HD-DVD player.

Walking away from Atmos sounds equally awful for their user base. Is their expectation that their customers will pay to upgrade their home theater hardware to be compatible with Sony's proprietary object-based audio bullshit? Basically, Sony trying to slip the cost of licensing Atmos technology and push it onto the consumers? Get fucked.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Sony Playstation 5 Specs
❌ Controller built for man hands instead of China dolls
❌ Dolby Vision
❌ Dolby Atmos
✅ BLM Approved Spiderman game

• 4Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Vorph

It only says MS has an exclusive on Dolby Vision for games. And after how shitty the Dolby Vision implementation is on my X1X, and MS' track record with HDR in Windows and Xbone in general, I'm more than a little skeptical about how much difference that will make. Plus there's the question of whether or not anyone besides first party devs will bother supporting it. MS hasn't confirmed DV for Blu-ray yet either, though I'd be surprised if they cut a deal like this with Dolby and then went full retard with their BR player for a second time.

Nobody's said one way or another if PS5 will support DV for Blu-ray and streaming or if it will support Atmos for any/all content.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My presumptions from that news until we get more specifics:
- PS5 won't feature one of the two, but I expect they'll have one (MS is stating it's the only console with both)
- They specified 'for games' since it was supported in some form on prior consoles only for video playback

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
It only says MS has an exclusive on Dolby Vision for games. And after how shitty the Dolby Vision implementation is on my X1X, and MS' track record with HDR in Windows and Xbone in general, I'm more than a little skeptical about how much difference that will make. Plus there's the question of whether or not anyone besides first party devs will bother supporting it. MS hasn't confirmed DV for Blu-ray yet either, though I'd be surprised if they cut a deal like this with Dolby and then went full retard with their BR player for a second time.

Nobody's said one way or another if PS5 will support DV for Blu-ray and Streaming or if it will support Atmos for everything or nothing.
The Dolby tweet reads "gaming in Dolby XXXX" which makes it sound like the PS5 may support Vision or Atmos for bluray/streaming. However the Microsoft tweet omits "gaming" making it sound like PS5 will completely lack at least one or the other either Vision or Atmos.

So, this ranks somewhere between a 2 RBI triple and an extra-innings walk-off grandslam for Microsoft.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Samsung TV's have like a 20% market share and no DV. I have my doubts this has been "settled."
And that other 80% of the market is filled by Sony, LG, Vizio, TCL, Panasonic all of which support Dolby Vision. Not to mention there's a plethora of Dolby Vision content out there right now, more available every day, and essentially nothing in HDR 10+. Don't give up hope though, I'm sure it's coming. Keep fighting the good fight.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
My presumptions from that news until we get more specifics:
- PS5 won't feature one of the two, but I expect they'll have one (MS is stating it's the only console with both)
- They specified 'for games' since it was supported in some form on prior consoles only for video playback
I tend to agree, the wording is pretty suspect, but then again Sony's silence on the matter is pretty damning.

Anyway, if there's something to take away from this, it's that Microsoft recognizes it needs to do work to make the ground it lost the last console generation. Sony was in a similar position previous generation, at least in American markets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vorph

So, this ranks somewhere between a 2 RBI triple and an extra-innings walk-off grandslam for Microsoft.
I guess we'll see. Personally I expect nothing to change. I'll continue to use my TV for streaming, because there's no point in bothering to turn on a console when my TV already has Dolby Vision in the apps that support it--which basically means Netflix and Plex, since I haven't heard any rumors about Hulu or Prime Video adding DV. I vaguely recall reading that Disney+ has DV, but they use fake HDR in their shit so it doesn't matter, and fuck Disney anyway. As far as Plex goes, it's pointless to even try to use it on either console now, and there's about a 0% chance that will change next gen.

That just leaves DV-gaming, and I don't see how MS getting exclusivity helps me as a consumer at all. All it means is that IPs like God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn will be stuck using HDR10 again, while MS basically squanders it on their sad little library of first party games.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
On the WAN show Linus has a nice discussion on the new consoles and how they compare as consoles -

Set at time discussion starts

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I guess we'll see. Personally I expect nothing to change. I'll continue to use my TV for streaming, because there's no point in bothering to turn on a console when my TV already has Dolby Vision in the apps that support it--which basically means Netflix and Plex, since I haven't heard any rumors about Hulu or Prime Video adding DV. I vaguely recall reading that Disney+ has DV, but they use fake HDR in their shit so it doesn't matter, and fuck Disney anyway. As far as Plex goes, it's pointless to even try to use it on either console now, and there's about a 0% chance that will change next gen.

That just leaves DV-gaming, and I don't see how MS getting exclusivity helps me as a consumer at all. All it means is that IPs like God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn will be stuck using HDR10 again, while MS basically squanders it on their sad little library of first party games.
You're missing playback on 4K blu rays, which Sony lacked last generation, even though it's their fucking format. Of course the popularity of physical media is waning, but it's still significant.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

My group still sticks with Xbox solely because XBL is still a better experience than whatever sony has. This new iteration is even better and the financing is pretty insane value-wise, breaks down to be cheaper to get the combo than them separate. However we're a bunch who rarely touches SP games which is Sony's strong point, so the system just doesnt appeal in the end. Plus dualshock controller is still a piece of shit, and they may change with the new DS5.