The Big Bad Console Thread - Sway your Station with an Xboner !

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He's being slow on the third use, it'll be even better that time.

And Column, you didn't read what I'd said to mkopec clearly. I was directly stating it wouldn't make sense if they weren't into FPSs, to directly imply it could make sense if they were. Wife and I are dual income, no kids so only context I have is nephews and nieces - of which the only boy hates FPS and loves Minecraft.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I don't know about you guys, but my computer runs much faster when I turn the AC on.
This actually happened to me once. I cleared out the dust and re-seated the CPU with Arctic Silver. All good after that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's more discussion in the oculus thread, but as a VR enthusiast this is definitely bad news. There's a chance it works out in the end, but it's not likely.

My hope for Oculus was that they would not only create the world's first usable VR HMD, but also they would pave the way for an open source software framework to allow game support for many HMDs. That way if another group created an HMD that had 210degrees FOV, or another one with eye tracking, or a different one with electrodes to shock your head to stimulate the sense of movement etc, they could take these HMDs and allow games that support the Rift to support them.

Instead they'll probably lock down the Rift's software and maximize profits.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are you saying it's not possible to hack the thing to do all that anyways?
No, I'm saying if someone creates this:
3632038565.jpg

I was hoping that games compatible with the oculus could easily be made to be compatible for that. That way users wouldn't get fucked by weird game compatibility problems, and developers wouldn't have super limited libraries for their games.

But yes, would be impossible to hack the DK2 into having 210 degrees of FOV, and I don't know of any eyetracking solutions that have integrated with the rift. It might be possible but the rift isn't designed for it so it would be suboptimal.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
What alternatives are there, it's still your best hope for this isn't it, or is it off the table "because Facebook" ? Sony's product is likely going to be a video game accessory first and foremost, and you can be certain they're not going to go down some of the other paths like live sporting events and stuff unless there's some kind of standard developed for all VR - which we don't really know won't happen because that's not even close to being figured out is it?

Either way, I think this conversation is like 1-2 'next gen console' threads away and the relevance to this thread will be whatever Sony kicks out with Morpheus 1.0.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's still the next best hope. And even if the worst possible scenario happens with facebook, the effort they've put into VR has started a movement they can't stop. It's just a question of how smoothly and quickly will the next 5 or so years of VR go.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You've got an odd definition of hidden since they were in plain sight. Not that PC vs PS4 means much without the PC specs they were likely badass but no one knows for sure that I've seen.

Column_sl

shitlord
The only thing I thank is that you and Sean will never have kids... I'm pro gay marriage when it comes to you two,

You've got an odd definition of hidden since they were in plain sight. Not that PC vs PS4 means much without the PC specs they were likely badass but no one knows for sure that I've seen.
Yeah keep telling yourself that. If they were comfortable with the PS4 running it they would have shown it on the PS4....

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Yup thank god we will see a product that will probly never come out on a system that can't even handle the frame rate.

anyone that thinks Sony will lead this just has to look atthiertrack record with HMD's.
Oh SO close, at least you're trying now!