The Blacklist

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Well, husband's story line is certainly over now. We just need to worry about Father and why reddington actually cares about her next.
Looks like Tom survived (I guess? -- his body was missing at least). Also, Red is probably Lizzie's dad. I'm guessing the "your father is dead" is him speaking metaphorically.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well there are two real options red is her dad or berlin is her dad. Given how pissed berlin must be for how he is going after red the way he is I am leaning towards berlin being her dad. It is why red couldn't figure out who was attacking him because he was convinced he was dead.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Mmmm, the picture in the pocketwatch is Berlin's daughter, so I would think, if anything, that would make him Lizzy's grandfather. Which would also allow Reddington to still be her dad. Dun dun dunnnnn.

Tom's body wasn't there when the authorities got there, just a bloodstain, so pretty obvious he's not dead? As for surviving 3 gunshots, a wizard did it.

Also, lexical ambiguity, lol.

themoreyouknow.gif

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Did they actually expect anyone to be surprised by the Berlin reveal? Like Peter Stormare is going to show up as a random inconsequential prison guard. They could have at least made an effort by not showing his face until after he escaped.

And given that they showed Reddington's burned back in the final moments, I don't see how he can not be her father. Berlin being her father just doesn't make any sense at all based on the story that was told about Berlin's daughter.

Tom not being dead after 3 gutshots is fucking terrible writing. Especially since the character long since served his purpose and needed to be killed off in the finale.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My wife doesn't know who Peter Stormare is but just assumed that because this show has the absolutely most inept FBI agents in the history of television that the person they were talking to was Berlin. As far as tropes go it was pretty obvious, but seriously, every agent on this show is hilariously dumb.

I also thought the scars on Red's back were a big indicator he's obviously the father. The whole speech with Lizzie on the stairs about being rescued by the fire, delivered in to Sam's care, and trusting him that her father is dead seemed a big metaphor for why he is Red and not Dad. We'll see though.

Kept looking at the picture in Berlin's watch and couldn't place it. I expected it to be a picture of Lizzie but she was way too old vs. the timeline for the fire. One thing I did notice was that Red's finger was covering the Number + Name at the bottom of the photograph at the end, which I would guess points to some big tie in that obviously connects them... Maybe Lizzie's Mom and some Red and Berlin connection there. The connection, not the picture.

It was a great 1st season which James Spader almost single handedly carried. It has been a life goal of mine to be James Spader since Sex, Lies, and Videotape.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Red's photo of Berlin's daughter is the one he took from the stewmaker's collection. So that's where she wound up. And Red clearly had a personal score with the stewmaker... (best scene of the season)

Berlin either believes Red killed her or Red was the man she ran off with and that's why he blames Red for her death. The writers will decide around s2ep20 when Berlin shows back up again. It's entirely possible that they are Lizzie's parents and Berlin is her grandfather.

I doubt the writers have even decided who Lizzie's father is. I've learned my lesson when it comes to TV plots.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Mmmm, the picture in the pocketwatch is Berlin's daughter, so I would think, if anything, that would make him Lizzy's grandfather. Which would also allow Reddington to still be her dad. Dun dun dunnnnn.

Also, lexical ambiguity, lol.

themoreyouknow.gif
I laughed at the lexical ambiguity because I'd been asking the whole time why the guard cut his hand off. So they used a 25 cent word to explain why they were so inept.

No way berlin is lizzies dad or even grandfather because she was on his list to be killed. If it weren't for that, I could have easily believed that she was the kid and red had stolen her. I'm still leaning towards thinking that red was the one who saved her from the fire, but was not her real father.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's possible that Lizzy is Berlin's granddaughter and he just doesn't know it.

The funny thing about the lexical ambiguity for me was that I took it the other way. So I was really confused when they were questioning Berlin calmly in his hospital bed instead of storming in there with a tactical team. There are several things to nitpick about that whole situation, but I'm too tired to get into it. Maybe tomorrow. If I'm bored.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So I was really confused when they were questioning Berlin calmly in his hospital bed instead of storming in there with a tactical team. There are several things to nitpick about that whole situation, but I'm too tired to get into it. Maybe tomorrow. If I'm bored.
in order for this show to work, this taskforce has to be the most inept team around. half the time they have a rookie profiler taking point! like charging into battle, sure makes sense for captain jock to do it and cia indian girl, but liz?

you have to really give this show a lot of flexibility in order to watch it. like how it's always lizzy making it to the scene with no backup. how half the breakthroughs are 1 part red, giving them the clue like a kindergardener and then the computer guy solves it.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, I do always lol that even when they arrive somewhere with a fully geared tac-team, it's the sport coat and slacks brigade that leads the charge.

Grivyn

Molten Core Raider
Makes sense for Berlins daughter to be Lizzie's mother and Red to be the father. Berlin probably doesn't know Lizzie is his granddaughter.

Goatface

I was almost certain at some point they said Red and Liz were DNA tested, did a search through the subtitles and didn't find anything.

also, didn't the photo show up again when Red got access to the FBI data base?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I know I'm way late on this show, but I finally watched the last several episodes. As Kreugen said, Berlin's daughter was clearly the picture from the Stewmaker's collection, so we know Lizzie isn't his daughter. It is questionable whether or not Red would have fucked around with any DNA results to hide him being the father, BUT he has made a point of telling her that he has never lied to her, and he straight up told her that he isn't her father. Sure, he could be speaking metaphorically, but I don't think he'd break his streak. If he wanted to, he'd have lied about killing her step-father and made things a ton easier for himself. But he's taking the hard road and never lying to her, and I think we have to take him at his word on that.

Given the fact that he hasn't ever lied to her, my theory is that Berlin's daughter had a daughter herself, which is Lizzie. Nothing new there, plenty of people have suggested it already. But I think Lizzie's father is NOT Reddington...it is some unknown Really Bad Man that made enemies, the likes of which would hire the Stewmaker and perhaps some of these other Blacklisters to take him down. I have a feeling this is going to Unusual Suspects us at the end, and a lot of these criminals are going to have ties to the whole thing. Anyway, I think Reddington was in love with Berlin's daughter and they either lived together with him being the only father she knew, or Berlin's daughter was already dead at that point and Reddington tried to "go straight" and raise her as his own. The real dad, the real bad guy of the whole show, comes after them to get her back, and somehow the house burns down and Reddington saves her and realizes he needs to go back to (or become, not sure the timeline) being a bad motherfucker himself to get this guy. And hides Lizzie with the other guy to raise her while he protects them from afar. And of course through convoluted misunderstandings and shit, Berlin thinks that Reddington killed his daughter.

In other words, I think Lizzie's real dad is the real bad guy of the show and we haven't seen anything about him at all yet. I do think that Reddington might be speaking metaphorically on that one point, where he said that he promises her father died in that fire. It is possible he really thinks he did die, so isn't lying that he knows of, but it is possible he's referring to the fact that by setting the house on fire and trying to kill Lizzie, he's a dead man walking. Either way, I'm fairly certain Tom was telling the truth about him being alive, and he'll show up later.

Hell, maybe it's Alan Alda, who doesn't realize who Lizzie is. I doubt it, but you never know, Alda does have a bit of a weird part to play in the show and you'd think they could cast just about anyone for the tiny role he's been given. There's definitely more to that whole story too, but I sort of think if Reddington knew it was him, he'd have been dead a long time ago.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
when the writers start taking "how to write a female lead 101" i think i'll care more. i mean its 99% the Red show, everything that centers around him is cool, everything that doesn't is boring. hell dope up denbe and he was cool for a bit, but they really suck at writing females.

any female that even emerges as something interesting.

killed

Red's asian lover/secretary? dead

Interesting plot point with CIA director lady, dead

CIA possibly double agent Meera doing something besides running into trouble? dead. they try to humanize her by saying, "oh look at her kids photos"

Liz, it's like the writers have a dumb and dumber switch for her.

Her dumb switch is always turned on, but when the plot calls for it, or when they have to move the story along, time to turn on the dumber switch.

Oh look lizzie is saying again "what kind of monster are you RED!"

even tho he's saved thousands and even has a pro team looking after her double agent husband.

She quits and hates him

only to find a clue and crawl back to him

she travels on a private jet to destinations with him, only for her to get emo and drive back home.

a coordinated effort that far surpases anything her meek little squad has done to catch her husband in the act, nope, she gets out the car and wants to tail him, herself.

they don't have to write her as smart, just not so dumb.

oh and all the men survive somehow.

fbi jock looses his come back love, but can tough it out

worthless big black director guy can survive piano wire

somehow double agent husband crawls away.

really without james spader this would be csi:washington

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just finished this as well. The wigs are scariest thing in the show.