The Book of Boba Fett

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i think the issue with that village episode was that it was one of several episodes in a row where it felt like it didn't really do anything to move the plot along. i remember actually liking it, but i also have this terrible memory of it that has degraded into this awful B movie monster reveal of the AT-ST walker moving around with stop-motion... for some reason... anyway my point is that i'm probably misremembering.

point is i think that episode is better than a lot of people thought it was

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
This last episode was decent, but she did that really shitty village episode of Mando, which might the single worst episode of that series so far.
There has been significant improvement in each of her episodes. I am doing a rewatch of the series right now and the Sanctuary episode, her first, isn't mind blowing, but there is nothing bad in there. There's even a few iconic moments, like Grogu drinking the broth while Cara and Mando are busy brawling in their first meeting.
Her second episode was when Mando gets to Trask and they introduce Bo-Katan and her group. That episode was pretty great IMO. That whole sequence of the squad flying in and taking over the Imperial Cruiser was awesome.
Third episode is this one, and I don't know anyone who has anything negative to say about it outside of how weird it was to have a Mandalorian episode, and one of the better ones at that, this late in the run of BoBF. There was so much good shit in this episode regardless of which era SW is your era.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's where I'm finding issue here looking at Grizzlebeard's timeline. That's what I saw and am basing this off of, as I am with my post above, saying that this doesn't seem plausible just as far as his character. I'm not trying to argue the timeline or the facts (as I was just straight up confused by... you guys always explain it better, thanks), I'm merely saying that it seems like a bounty hunter like Boba wouldn't just be hanging out with sand people for 5 years heh. That is why I thought (as you yourself admitted, they did a shitty job of showing it) the amount of time was much shorter which THEN lead me to be like... well... that means he was in the Sarlacc pit for YEARS. See what I mean?
what character?

Here's every canon scene with Boba Fett in it:

Here is the entirety of his dialogue:
"as you wish"
"He's no good to me dead"
"what if he doesn't survive, he's worth a lot to me"
"put captain solo in the cargo hold"

6 and a half minutes of scenes across 3 movies where he appears for a total of about 52 seconds. and 1/4 of that was a deleted scene that Lucas went CGI happy and added back in to the original star wars (in which boba fett appears for 2 seconds total). I guess if you wanna go wild you could add all the scenes of him in the prequels as a mopey 5 year old?

2 second shot of him standing there, 3 seconds of him walking. Oh and he nods twice. The majority of his screen time is showing how shitty a fighter he is where he gets punked into a saarlacc benny hill style by a blind Han Solo for comedic purposes.

He doesn't have a character. he doesn't have a background or personality. He was an interesting suit of armor that fan's latched on to and wrote a bunch of fanfic about. The trandoshan had more presence and was more intimidating in the original introduction scene (Vader hiring all the various bounty hunters). They could of chosen any one of those to be the hunter smart enough to find the millennium falcon and track it to cloud city. Hell they could of had the IG droid being the hunter. We get to see him again in Mandalorian too.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
what character?
Just one of the coolest characters in Star Wars history, no big deal.

I get your point of view... no really, I do. You have, in 1 post, broken down Boba Fett's entire "career" in the original trilogy, and yet what seems to be lost on you is that fans absolutely loved him.

Why? I'm not a psychologist LoL, so I'm not going to walk down that path, but let's be blunt... he isn't just some 6 minute of screen time, 6 lines of dialogue throwaway suit of armor as you so gracefully put it. You know and I know his mythos is waaay bigger than the sum of his individual parts.

That character. Boba Fett.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Here's my question for you guys though... maybe I missed it or maybe I'm just overthinking it. I rewatched Mando to see Boba's appearances.

35yjyj.jpg

He goes from getting his acid eaten armor back looking like this above, to:

kiy7il47yut.jpg

Looking fresh and pimp the very next episode. Was it explained how he upgraded in a previous / latter episode or am I just being a nitpicky biotch? Difference is night and day, c'mon~

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Here's my question for you guys though... maybe I missed it or maybe I'm just overthinking it. I rewatched Mando to see Boba's appearances.

View attachment 395742

He goes from getting his acid eaten armor back looking like this above, to:

View attachment 395743

Looking fresh and pimp the very next episode. Was it explained how he upgraded in a previous / latter episode or am I just being a nitpicky biotch? Difference is night and day, c'mon~
maybe its just a continuity error because they wanted him looking badass and nobody noticed because they also want him looking badass?
he was busy polishing his helmet between those 2 episodes, thats why azn girl was with him.

• 1Rimshot

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Just one of the coolest characters in Star Wars history, no big deal.

I get your point of view... no really, I do. You have, in 1 post, broken down Boba Fett's entire "career" in the original trilogy, and yet what seems to be lost on you is that fans absolutely loved him.

Why? I'm not a psychologist LoL, so I'm not going to walk down that path, but let's be blunt... he isn't just some 6 minute of screen time, 6 lines of dialogue throwaway suit of armor as you so gracefully put it. You know and I know his mythos is waaay bigger than the sum of his individual parts.

That character. Boba Fett.
6 minutes of screen time? Fuck no, the mother fucker has like 90 seconds of screen time, and 75 of those seconds is him standing in the background fuzzy as shit cus the camera is focused on the main characters on screen. If he had 6 minutes of screen time they could of made him more than 1 dimensional throw away character, which, despite your headcanon fanfic, is all he is in the films.

The psychology is easy, btw. He has no history/personality/character/background/etc. nothing. he's a completely blank slate. He was a cool suit of armor, that's it. Lucas held merchandising rights, and toys printed him money. he made toys of everything. Little boys gravitate towards cool looking action figures, so boba fett sold better than the 97 different variety of ewok toys he was cranking out. Since there was nothing from the films to contradict it, those little boys got to make up whatever story they wanted about the guy, because again he was a throw away character. He got to be this badass bounty hunter, who always gets his man. Or he got to be some mastermind of the criminal underworld. As those boys hit puberty Rule 43 applies and well, i'm sure plenty of fanfic about him and princess leia, or whatever, whatever your imagination could build.

Of course their idea of who this guy was got ruined by his disastrous showing in jedi, but the seeds were already planted by then and they could just pretend he wasn't this punk ass bitch that got merc'd in a comedy gag that they saw in Jedi. All the fanfic of him surviving the saarlacc and being this bad ass whatever the fuck was cognitive dissonance. Shit, when I think about Darth Vader, the last thing I think about is this whiney little bitch crying about sand and padme that we got in the prequels. "now this is pod racing!" Midochlorians? Space Jesus virgin birth? Fuck you. I just pretend that shit never happened. That way Darth Vader can remain a badass in my mind. You're all doing the same shit to Boba Fett. That's fine, just recognize it for what it is.

Shit, I dont remember but was Boba Fett even name checked before the saarlacc scene? I'm pretty sure everyone learned his name from what was printed on the cardboard the action figure came in.

unnamed_stormtrooper_01 has more lines of dialogue, screen time, and character development than boba fett. Storm trooper action figures also looked cool and sold well. Good thing Lucas didn't fuck up and give him a name otherwise kids would of wrote a bunch of fanfic about him surviving that blaster shot to the face to rise up and become king storm trooper.

shit Greedo has more screen time, dialogue, and character development than boba fett. I'm sure there's fanfic out there (i'm not going to search) of him surviving Han Solo's assassination and rising to become emperor.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
6 minutes of screen time? Fuck no, the mother fucker has like 90 seconds of screen time, and 75 of those seconds is him standing in the background fuzzy as shit cus the camera is focused on the main characters on screen. If he had 6 minutes of screen time they could of made him more than 1 dimensional throw away character, which, despite your headcanon fanfic, is all he is in the films.

The psychology is easy, btw. He has no history/personality/character/background/etc. nothing. he's a completely blank slate. He was a cool suit of armor, that's it. Lucas held merchandising rights, and toys printed him money. he made toys of everything. Little boys gravitate towards cool looking action figures, so boba fett sold better than the 97 different variety of ewok toys he was cranking out. Since there was nothing from the films to contradict it, those little boys got to make up whatever story they wanted about the guy, because again he was a throw away character. He got to be this badass bounty hunter, who always gets his man. Or he got to be some mastermind of the criminal underworld. As those boys hit puberty Rule 43 applies and well, i'm sure plenty of fanfic about him and princess leia, or whatever, whatever your imagination could build.

Of course their idea of who this guy was got ruined by his disastrous showing in jedi, but the seeds were already planted by then and they could just pretend he wasn't this punk ass bitch that got merc'd in a comedy gag that they saw in Jedi. All the fanfic of him surviving the saarlacc and being this bad ass whatever the fuck was cognitive dissonance.

Shit, I dont remember but was Boba Fett even name checked before the saarlacc scene? I'm pretty sure everyone learned his name from what was printed on the cardboard the action figure came in.

unnamed_stormtrooper_01 has more lines of dialogue, screen time, and character development than boba fett. Storm trooper action figures also looked cool and sold well. Good thing Lucas didn't fuck up and give him a name otherwise kids would of wrote a bunch of fanfic about him surviving that blaster shot to the face to rise up and become king storm trooper.
kids already knew who Boba was years before he appeared in ESB.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah the shitty animation with the super talkative boba riding a dinosaur. yeah that totally convinced generations how much of a badass he was, lol. My point stands and I double down on it sir.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
We need to find the guy responsible that tore off the arms of Sylas's Boba Fett action figure from 1979, pronto.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
We need to find the guy responsible that tore off the arms of Sylas's Boba Fett action figure from 1979, pronto.
lol. Hate to burst your bubble but I wasn't even born yet in 1979. never had any star wars action figures. In fact, the first time I sat down and watched Star Wars I was a teenager, mid 90s maybe? I watched them all on VHS.

All my posts in this thread boil down to this. There are 2 types of opinions on this show. A: people who read a bunch of fanfic and invented a bunch of head canon about who they thought boba fett was when they were a kid playing with his action figures, and B: people who only watched the Star Wars movies and the Mandalorian TV show.

My point is simple, the "mythos" of boba fett exists only in your imagination. he doesn't have a mythos. Sure there were tons of books and comics and whatever bullshit but that's all been retcon'd. its fanfic. Most of that shit was fanfic even in the EU. Most popular Star Wars comic is Darth Vader fighting aliens and predators. that shit isn't real, it's not canon. get over it.

You can hate the show for its stories, direction, shitty fight scenes, power ranger vespas, whatever, that's all valid criticism. There's plenty of reasons to not like the show. But hating the show because the character doesn't match what you imagined the character to be in your head is fucking stupid. he was a cool toy I guess, and enough of that generation enjoyed playing with that toy enough to revive him and retcon his death from Return of the Jedi. Now he gets his own show and actually gets developed as a real character.

Here's the canon about what we know about Boba Fett:

Prequels: He's the clone "son" of Jango Fett, that's where he got the armor from.
Star Wars: He works for jabba the hutt (2 second shot of him in a deleted scene that was added back in a Lucas re-cut)
Empire: He was hired by the empire to track the millenium falcon. He is collecting on a bounty on Han Solo. He is slightly smarter than a Trandoshian et all since he finds the millenium falcon instead of one of the other dozen bounty hunters that the empire hired.
Jedi: He is a pussy ass bitch who can't fight and dies comically.

We learned more about who boba fett is in season 2 of the mandalorian than all other films/cartoons/etc combined. We've learned more about boba fett in any single episode of the book of boba fett (save ep5) than we did in mandalorian + all other movies.

You can't say "that's not how he's supposed to be!!!". Negro he can be whatever Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni want him to be. It's not "Breaking with his character" the mother fucker doesn't have character. he never did. You have zero canonical frame of reference to claim this shit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Some would say that animation is pretty horrible in comparison to today's standards, but I like it.
I was born in '83, but I still like a bunch of the old 70's animated series and their "style." Of course I liked all the 80's cartoons that came out too, ThunderCats etc. In comparison to the cracked out cartoons that are for kids that are out now, that Boba Fett cartoon is entertaining to me even as an adult.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Oh yeah the shitty animation with the super talkative boba riding a dinosaur. yeah that totally convinced generations how much of a badass he was, lol. My point stands and I double down on it sir.
you can believe whatever you like, but if you were a kid of the 70s, then you saw Star Wars and you saw the Star Wars Holidy special the following year. even if you werent the biggest fan of either, you saw those things because thats what boys did. kids knew Boba. and they thought he was cool as fuck. thats why he appeared in videos games after Return Of The Jedi.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Didn't they have a Boba action figure when esb was around or was it years after?
before. in 1979
loose_boba_fett.jpg

Boba Fett​

Date Stamp:
Release Date:
Carded Availability:
  • Star Wars
  • The Empire Strikes Back
  • Return Of The Jedi
  • Tri-logo
  • Droids
Assortment No.:
Retail:
Weapons and Accessories:

• Stormtrooper Blaster
Force fact:
Originally appearing on the later 20 back cards as the first of many Star Wars send away offers this figure’s first carded appearance was on the Star Wars 21 back card. The action figure was offered as a Mail Away figure via offer sticker on fronts of 20 back Star Wars figure cards. The Fett is the 21st figure as seen on Star Wars 21 Backs and the first of the six Bounty Hunter figures.
The figure original was to come with a missile that fired from its backpack. Kenner got worried about the safety of the tiny projectile and released Boba Fett with the missile permanently glued to its backpack. No Missile Firing Boba Fetts were ever manufactured nor shipped to customers.
Variations: Boba Fett figure has one major variation that is highly sought after the Tri-logo version. The sculpt itself is basically the same minus the lack of a COO* stamp (country of origin) but it is molded in a very light blue plastic.
There are four minor variations in the Tri-logo Boba Fett. Thus far the Tri-logo version of Boba Fett has only been documented on European cards.

• 1Like

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Hey thanks for proving my point about boba being a toy first and foremost lol. I didn't realize his entire schtick was a fucking toy pyramid scheme. That makes the nerd rage even more hilarious lol
you can believe whatever you like, but if you were a kid of the 70s, then you saw Star Wars and you saw the Star Wars Holidy special the following year. even if you werent the biggest fan of either, you saw those things because thats what boys did. kids knew Boba. and they thought he was cool as fuck. thats why he appeared in videos games after Return Of The Jedi.
He wasn't in star wars. At least not in the 70s. Not until 98? Or whenever Lucas did his hackjob on the original trilogy.

You are right kids of the 70s watched star wars. And they bought a lot of toys. And if you bought all 20 you could mail away for a new figure. Who? Boba Fett.. who's that? oh we'll introduce him in some non-canon christmas special cartoon. that'll get kids to buy more toys.