The D&D thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hated "Mines" but I'm definitely in the minority here (I've learned). Everyone else seems to love it.

Last edited:

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mines is ok, but for new players I like to run dragon heist, it has a good mix of roll and role playing.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Roll 20 is like that old beat ass chevette your whiskey tango buddies dad had on blocks outside his trailer.
Fantasy grounds is like a damn Ferrari in comparison.

Edit: old fantasy grounds, fantasy grounds unity has problems far as I can tell.

Rime

<Donor>
One of my groups recently swapped to Foundry VTT. It is significantly better than even Fantasy Grounds, but is still in an alpha-ish state.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone play Pathfinder? Is it worth trying that first? Seems like the players are split lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I've been running a campaign for a while now, with the current lockdown we just swapped to Discord + Tabletop Simulator on Steam, it's pretty simple.

Our campaign is set in Norrath, using the EQRPG rules from the old books, which is basically a modified 3.0/3.5 system. The party is level 7 (EQRPG goes to 30 + 5 epic levels, so this is like the equivalent of them being level 14 in Classic EQ) with a Rogue, Mage, Warrior, Bard, Cleric, and Druid.

My guys are Qeynos Investigators who recently went into Blackburrow and killed Tranixx Darkpaw and Lord Elgnub to defeat the Sabertooth Gnolls and rescue Joseph Sayer. They've been investigating the Bloodsabers for like 8 sessions now and are on the verge of locating the Bloodsaber shrine in the Aqueducts. If they don't find a way to stop it within the next two sessions we're going to fire off the "Plague in the Karanas" plot and most likely Kane Bayle will be revealing he is evil and killing Antonious Bayle

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Me and my friends have been playing every Fri night since quarantine started. I dm and we just use discord or zoom. Personally I dislike roll20. And we still play good old 4e.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok cool. I'm using Fantasy Grounds. Doing 5e Lost Mines of Phandelver.
I'm GM. I dunno what I'm doing yet. Looking for basic starter stuff for FG right now and slowly learning!

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok cool. I'm using Fantasy Grounds. Doing 5e Lost Mines of Phandelver.
I'm GM. I dunno what I'm doing yet. Looking for basic starter stuff for FG right now and slowly learning!
Hell yeah man, been using FG for a long while, if you need some help let me know.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
One of my groups recently swapped to Foundry VTT. It is significantly better than even Fantasy Grounds, but is still in an alpha-ish state.

Looks like some good stuff, FG unity is coming along and since I am already invested into that I won't look too hard at this one. Looks like the best of Roll20 and FG combined though.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Mind blown...... so much has changed. Mind you I havent played DnD since 2nd esition. I was reading the wiki until my books arrive from Amazon and I find out paladins no longer have to lawful good and not restricted to humans only. They can be any alignment and now they have an oath to follow. Vengeance is right up my alley. I love it cause it's No more Mr. Niceguy and I can kill and not be punished.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Anyone play Pathfinder? Is it worth trying that first? Seems like the players are split lol
I personally love Pathfinder. I find it to be a bit more crunchy and diverse than DnD. I have played several of their adventure paths.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hell yeah man, been using FG for a long while, if you need some help let me know.

Yah thanks man. I'm trying to get from 0 to 1 on combat. I just want to be comfortable getting through the first basic combat encounter for Lost Mines. I'm slowly picking it up. They lay most of it out for you really well. I just don't see a map for this first encounter, so I'm gonna grab one I guess from google images, make it a map, and test out putting tokens on it etc. And try out the combat tracker thing.

I feel like if I can get through the first combat I'd be in good shape.
Gonna try to test it today

EDIT:

So basically I want to make this a map, put the goblin and player tokens on it. Then I think combat should be kinda easy?

Road to Phandlin.jpg

Last edited:

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ok this seems right to me. PC walking down the path, 4 goblins hidden. All in the combat tracker. I have the party roll for surprise or initiative or whichever, then play out the combat.

FG First encounter.png

• 2Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok this seems right to me. PC walking down the path, 4 goblins hidden. All in the combat tracker. I have the party roll for surprise or initiative or whichever, then play out the combat.

View attachment 265580
Looks good, also FG forums have a ton of player made map packs for the various missing maps. If you want it to be harder put the goblins on the high terrain, it will either split the party or some can escape.

• 2Like

Nidhogg

Molten Core Raider
Is there any decent map/combat tracker that doesnt require monies? I'd love to finish my campaign but it's hard to find good free digital mediums to keep things immersive.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
pathfinder vs d&d 5th REALLY depends on what kind of mechanics you like. i'd say 5th is much more beginner friendly as the ruleset is very simple and straight forward. pathfinder lends itself to much more tactical battles as it allows for all kinds of pluses and minuses to rolls depending on all kinds of things (whether or not the target is flanked by multiple enemies, whether or not the target is "flat-footed" for that round, if the attacker is ranged and shooting at a target who is otherwise engaged in melee then the attacker would get -4 to their attack if they don't have the right feat, but the attacker might also get +1 to their attack if they are within 30 feet and have the right feat for that, etc)

pathfinder allows for the character to make extremely tactical decisions that can turn the tide of combat in their favor, but that also means that a single attack might be adding and/or subtracting 4 or 5 different modifiers PER attack. it can be extremely tedious and i imagine beginners could be very quickly turned off by being in the spotlight during their turn and their attack rolls on one creature turns into d20+3+2-4-1+1+2 while an attack role on another creature in that same turn is something different.

that being said, if that's the kind of game you're into then you'll have a good time. from what i've experience (which is limited) pathfinder focuses on the mechanics while 5th edition focuses on the DM telling a story. if you have a good DM, i personally would enjoy 5th edition better, but it puts ALOT of responsibility on the shoulders of the DM and it leaves open some pretty big risks of ruining a game if the DM is bad.