The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Is Goodell gonna be judge and jury on this or is someone else going to be deciding this particular matter?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Huh? 538 was one of the ones that originally posted that Sharps data was mostly bullshit complete with links of other studies blasting the fuck out of it.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/y...ical-analyses/

I don't know where Benm (Benjamin Morris) got his data (and what it was) to plug into his calculations for that chart and I couldn't find where he said he got it, other thanherewhere he references Sharps original data even though 538 acknowledged in the past (topmost link) that Sharps not only cherry picked his data, but used incorrect data. 538 didn't tear the fuck out of Sharps themselves; they didn't have to. The linked studies they have at the bottom of their article that they tell you to read did that perfectly for them and they alluded to that in their own article.

In the first study that 538 links (http://regressing.deadspin.com/why-t...805710/+kylenw) done by statistics professor G. J. Matthews, he breaks down team fumble rates by position and concludes that

That's where I got my data analysis. Did Morris pull his data from Sharps? I've found literally nothing on him other than him alluding to Sharps original data that he may have used for his own calculations.
If you read the link refuting the study, it's about 99% attacks on the author and 1% against his actual statistics. 538 then adjusted for the few statistical problems and found that their results were actually pretty close.

I really don't see how any non homer could read that link you posted and not think it's completely biased.

sebur

Bronze Squire
I can't see much happening w/o hard proof here, the NFLPA isn't just gonna sit by and let Brady get railroaded over more likely than not he cheated. The NFL is gonna need something more than circumstantial.
I actually believe quite the opposite. They don't need anything huge just "maybe" they did it and they can do what ever they want. It will be interesting to see what happens either way.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
If you read the link refuting the study, it's about 99% attacks on the author and 1% against his actual statistics. 538 then adjusted for the few statistical problems and found that their results were actually pretty close.

I really don't see how any non homer could read that link you posted and not think it's completely biased.
The guy that you said is biased is from Baltimore and teaches statistics at a University there.
Michael Lopez, the coauthor, is an assistant professor of statistics at a college at New York.

BenM, the guy who plugged in Sharps data into a graph, was hired by 538 as a sports writer. Before that he was a founder of a blog where he argued Dennis Rodman may be more valuable than Michael Jordan.

Can you link me the 538 article you're referring to that finds their results similar/close to Sharps?

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Also keep in mind that any minute advantage to the Patriots from underinflated balls was home only.

Pats have a .661 road winning percentage under Belichick.

As far as suspension... without anything resembling proof, Brady has a damn good shot overturning anything they hand down on the appeal process which has been overwhelmingly pro player.

sole

Molten Core Raider
All footballs are handled by home team supplied staff after ref inspection. No opportunity at away games.
Doesn't this go to the crux of the matter though? The balls being altered AFTER ref inspection? Away teams can provide their own balls, this was established in 2006 after Brady and Manning lobbied for it I believe.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The guy that you said is biased is from Baltimore and teaches statistics at a University there.
Michael Lopez, the coauthor, is an assistant professor of statistics at a college at New York.

BenM, the guy who plugged in Sharps data into a graph, was hired by 538 as a sports writer. Before that he was a founder of a blog where he argued Dennis Rodman may be more valuable than Michael Jordan.

Can you link me the 538 article you're referring to that finds their results similar/close to Sharps?
First, he's the article was written by 2 people who both went to college in New England and neither of them work in Baltimore. Secondly, if you even read the link you'd see that their actual data analysis was awful. Not only did they ignore the main point that NEs fumbles dropped dramatically starting in '07, but the best they could do was manipulate the data so that NE still went from middle of the pack to least amount of fumbles. Just by "a lot" instead of an insane amount.

That second point is consistent with the other criticism's of the report. NE suddenly starting have way less fumbles than everyone, but not by quite as much as the original author said therefore it's invalid.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Tom, you sent daddy out to go to the principal's office for you?" Haha!

(Video mentions the rule change allowing Brady to specify his own ball specs on the road. Sorry!)

Anyway, that video was fucking great.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think the rule is fucking silly but I hope they throw the fucking book at them. Goodell is now the "deflator", lets see if he has the balls to do it.(he doesn't is my bet)

sole

Molten Core Raider
If Goodell doesn't throw the book at Brady* (and Belichick, because "ignorance is no excuse") there might be some head-hunting by the owners; Goodell has tarnished their brand, but he keeps bringing in money so we'll see. I liked Olberman's point about "innocent until proven guilty" being the case in a court of law but not in the case of a private entity. Brady*, through his explicit silence, looks guilty as hell. It really isn't that big of an issue, and I'm sure most QBs have massive respect for Brady*, but it's the "what really happened?!?" that keeps driving this story. Brady* is the only person that can answer that question, and he won't. Just for that, he should be suspended for conduct detrimental to the league.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No words....that video was great. The part about "everyone over the emotional age of 6 sees what this is, which excludes all Patriots fans" accurately describes this thread.

Drakurii

Golden Baron of the Realm
Lets get this shit over already so the 90% of America that hates the Patriots can put on their Richard Sherman crybaby just lost the Superbowl face. Only games Brady is gonna miss are the preseason and the bi-week.

sole

Molten Core Raider
If Brady* starts Week 1 you're not kicking off a new season with a great Thursday night match-up, you're just fueling more controversy (and possibly more money). Goodell has to know this. The punishments (if any) should come next week I would think.