The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They could make it 15 and have a replay provision for blatant and obvious at the spot of the foul when a defender just obviously tackles the guy to keep him from catching it in some ridiculous fashion. Probably would add more drama.

I prefer to leave it as is and open it up to replay. That seems the safer option to see how it impacts things.
The problem is how consistent they are about calling PI. If we start putting it up for review, they're going to find all kinds of contact that (by the rulebook at least) technically should get flagged. That said, at times (mostly playoffs) they do a better job being consistent throughout a game of letting the teams play a little more...allowing more incidental contact, flagging excessive holding/etc. I just worry about differing gray areas. You'll have the gray area of how PI is officiated at real speed versus on replay, and having to weigh it against the gray area of how refs are calling an individual game, but without the benefit of slow motion replay for all of the other plays that aren't getting challenged.

I do think there are instances where the spot foul or ball on the 1 yard line is stupid and affects outcomes far too much, but I also think making everything a flat 15 yard penalty will encourage defensive backs to flat out take out receivers when they're cleanly beat on deep routes...and those are some of the best and most exciting plays to watch in a league that is glorifying the passing game and making it easier to rack up huge numbers throwing the ball than ever before.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The 15 yard limit is basically a non factor in college. If a DB is close enough to tackle a wr before the ball gets there to prevent the catch, he's close enough to try and defend it legitimately.

About the only time you see a blatant mauling is still close to the line of scrimmage as the DB and WR initially hand fight for positioning as the WR starts his route, which is well within 15 yards anyways if a penalty arises.

rrr_img_91224.png

thats not how it works in college. there are 2 penalties 15 yard PI & a spot foul for obvious situations like Alex mentioned.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Was just reading thisSlideshow - CBSSports.com

There is no fucking way Bo jackson ran a 4.2. not a chance.
According to the 40 yard dash wiki, he actually ran a 4.12. Then a 4.18 later in the week. That is freakish.

Also, even Peter King has the Eagles trading up for Mariota now. I think that shit is going to happen, a glorious gamble! And the Eagles are pretty well-positioned to make such a gamble; they have holes (LB/CB) but their lines on both sides of the ball are among the league's best, and their offensive skill positions are also not too shabby, especially with McCoy. I want to see it happen as an Eagles fan, fuck it. Especially if we can get away with it relatively cheaply.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
rrr_img_91224.png

thats not how it works in college. there are 2 penalties 15 yard PI & a spot foul for obvious situations like Alex mentioned.
Nope. Spot foul inside 15 yards, auto 15 yards if contact is past 15 even if the DB pulls the WR down by his dick. Spot foul past 15 doesn't exist in college.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Nope. Spot foul inside 15 yards, auto 15 yards if contact is past 15 even if the DB pulls the WR down by his dick. Spot foul past 15 doesn't exist in college.
This is correct, no penalty goes over 15 yards, ever, in college. Now, if something is totally egregious they could choose to throw 2 flags, a PI and tack on a personal foul on top of that for another 15 yards or something. That pretty much never happens though, you'd have to basically spear a defenseless receiver in the head and knock them out or something to get a call like that.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Hey Dallas fans. Let's just even up history and you guys give us 8 draft picks (six of them in the 1st or 2nd round) for AP.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Was just reading thisSlideshow - CBSSports.com

There is no fucking way Bo jackson ran a 4.2. not a chance.
I don't think you understand how much of an athletic freak he was. A few years ago I read an article that talked about what his stats might have looked like with a 16 game season under his belt and it reminded me of a custom character in Madden. Just... silly.

Hey Dallas fans. Let's just even up history and you guys give us 8 draft picks (six of them in the 1st or 2nd round) for AP.
Yeah, they don't have 8 guys to trade you and they certainly won't tack on draft picks if those guys don't make the roster (which is how Jimmy robbed them).

Sterling

El Presidente
The Bo Jackson times were hand timed right? But even if he'd actually clock a 4.3 or whatever now, he's ridiculous.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Something going on with Dez? I hear he's the new Rice Rice but worse?!

get your popcorn out!

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Is it just me, or does it seems like teams can't win a Super Bowl while paying a QB $20mil a year? That just eats up too much money that you need to spend elsewhere to build a great team. Flacco gets a big contract, and they haven't been the same since. Brees gets a huge contract a couple years ago and they've done nothing since. New England was getting to the playoffs but not winning the big game while Brady was one of the top paid QBs in the league. He takes a pay cut a year or two ago and BAM, super bowl win. Aaron Rogers gets a huge deal after winning the Super Bowl and they haven't been back since. 49ers haven't been the same since giving Kaeprnick his huge deal.

It's kind of a catch 22, everyone wants an elite QB to get them to the Super Bowl, but if you pay one what he is truly worth, it's damn hard to have a team that's good enough to get there and win it.

Seattle is about to have to make that decision. They aren't going to be able to keep all of their defensive stars if they give Wilson 15-20mil a year, like he'll be able to get in free agency.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is it just me, or does it seems like teams can't win a Super Bowl while paying a QB $20mil a year? That just eats up too much money that you need to spend elsewhere to build a great team. Flacco gets a big contract, and they haven't been the same since. Brees gets a huge contract a couple years ago and they've done nothing since. New England was getting to the playoffs but not winning the big game while Brady was one of the top paid QBs in the league. He takes a pay cut a year or two ago and BAM, super bowl win. Aaron Rogers gets a huge deal after winning the Super Bowl and they haven't been back since. 49ers haven't been the same since giving Kaeprnick his huge deal.

It's kind of a catch 22, everyone wants an elite QB to get them to the Super Bowl, but if you pay one what he is truly worth, it's damn hard to have a team that's good enough to get there and win it.

Seattle is about to have to make that decision. They aren't going to be able to keep all of their defensive stars if they give Wilson 15-20mil a year, like he'll be able to get in free agency.
To be fair, Aaron Rodgers didn't stop them from going back this year, more MM. Also while I agree Flacco is overpaid and for most of the season the Ravens didn't look like a contender, in the playoffs they beat what had been a red hot Steelers team in Pittsburgh, and had 2 separate 14 point leads in New England with the ball and a chance to win it late.

Sadly Rahim Moore wasn't in the Pats secondary for Flacco this time.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Also, even Peter King has the Eagles trading up for Mariota now. I think that shit is going to happen, a glorious gamble! And the Eagles are pretty well-positioned to make such a gamble; they have holes (LB/CB) but their lines on both sides of the ball are among the league's best, and their offensive skill positions are also not too shabby, especially with McCoy. I want to see it happen as an Eagles fan, fuck it. Especially if we can get away with it relatively cheaply.
As a Cowboy fan, I wanna see it happen too. You won't get him cheaply enough.

Oh yeah I forgot that was you guys. Thanks again. Wanna Trade Running backs? He was the #1 rusher last year. How was your running game?

Something going on with Dez? I hear he's the new Rice Rice but worse?!
Best guess is that someone has video of him hitting his mom. He got in trouble last off season for domestic violence against her. He hasn't talked about it much, but word on the street is that she's a heavy drug user and it was an intervention that got a little physical. I'm guessing a year later someone has finally managed to edit a video together that makes him look bad. Maybe it was JJ just looking to get him re-signed cheap.

New England was getting to the playoffs but not winning the big game while Brady was one of the top paid QBs in the league. He takes a pay cut a year or two ago and BAM, super bowl win..
I don't know if 2 miracle plays to lose and 1 miracle play to win supports this theory.

but obviously yes having more money is better than having less money

opiate82

Bronze Squire
$20mil now won't be as impactful as it has been the last couple of seasons. Cap going up from $133mil to $143mil next year and some are saying as high as $160mil in 2016. Now QB salaries will probably rise with the cap but deals like the one Flacco has won't look nearly as bad. I thought any team that could, should have been doing any franchise QB deals the last season or two because even though everyone knew cap inflation was coming, nobody knew how much so it was a chance for teams to lock in at a what will end up being a lower rate relative to the salary cap.

Also I would rather have Joe Flacco at $20mil a year than being one of those teams that have wiffed on first round QB's.