The Dallas Cowboys Memorial (2015 Off-Season) Thread

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I don't think so. McCoy looked noticeable slower last season. He's just not worth the cash. There are plenty of good RBs in the draft. Just grab one in the second round.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The common wisdom in the NFL now is that it's not worth paying running backs. A guy from the draft can do about as well and they all start going downhill about the time they get that big second contract so the best business move is to let them go rather than pay them. Sucks if you're a running back. I've even heard people are telling kids these days that are running backs to try to learn to play tight end or linebacker or something.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Plus Chip is a lot about next man up, at least while at Oregon. Which now instead of losing seniors/juniors its making the best of your cash.

At some points the dedicated running backs will be phased out like the full back. I want to say Ohio state this year was actually using one of their wideouts as their change of pace back and he was actually putting up some pretty good numbers. With the way the league is propping up the passing game anyway it isn't to far fetched that in the next ten to fifteen years having a receiver in the backfield will be more important on the whole then having a traditional style RB. Justice look at what has happened to the TE position as well.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I don't know enough about the Bill's cap structure but it isn't like there are a million free agents to pick up. They may just grab McCoy because Ryan knows he needs to win and win right now to keep his job. Possibly look at Hoyer to come in and manage games and suddenly they have a competent offense and still a really, really good defense. The move makes sense to me even if McCoy is the second highest paid RB (highest currently) in the league. Also maybe the Bills know something the Eagles don't know about Kiko's rehab and recovery. Maybe he's lost a decent amount of speed.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The common wisdom in the NFL now is that it's not worth paying running backs. A guy from the draft can do about as well and they all start going downhill about the time they get that big second contract so the best business move is to let them go rather than pay them. Sucks if you're a running back. I've even heard people are telling kids these days that are running backs to try to learn to play tight end or linebacker or something.
The physical punishment running backs take makes it nearly impossible for them to have any sort of longevity and you can get ones from the draft easy enough to do the basic job running back is almost like special teams returners these days. A position so violent it goes mostly to rookies and those doing the position train to move to something else or they simply don't last long.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Overall Average
According the the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL player is 3.3 years. The players left the NFL for a variety of reasons. These include injury, retirement and being cut by their team.

Shortest Careers
The shortest careers among NFL players tends to be those who hit and get hit the most during games and practice. Running backs have the shortest average careers of just 2.57 years. Wide receivers have average careers of 2.81 years. The average career for cornerbacks is 2.94 years.

Longest Careers
The longest careers among NFL players tends to be those who are hit the least. Kickers and punters have the longest careers, averaging 4.87 years. Quarterbacks are next with an average career of 4.44 years.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/15...er-nfl-player/

Tenks

Smart move by the Bills Cassel wasn't even on my radar of potential QB's to trade to get. I think he'll fit in well there. He won't be asked to do much but he really shouldn't be. Hoyer would probably be too expensive to sign.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Matt Cassell isn't an answer for anyone. That dude is absolute trash. Especially with Ryan.

Tenks

Worse then Manuel? Not sure. If anything Cassel can provide some veteren leadership behind EJ if that is their near-term plan. Though I imagine they pitched it to Cassel that he'll come in and compete for the starting job.

moontayle

Golden Squire
EJ was the senior QB on the roster. Let that sink in for a moment. They absolutely had to have a veteran presence at that position or they were basically resigning themselves to further mediocrity. If they can get a couple of minor upgrades on their offensive line, even with Cassell at the helm I think they are in the running for a wild card slot. They have had one of the better defenses over the last couple of years, and I don't see that changing. So yeah, I don't understand the kiko-shady trade but it didn't hurt their defense and is absolutely an upgrade on their offense.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Matt Cassell isn't an answer for anyone. That dude is absolute trash. Especially with Ryan.
When he subbed for Brady that year, they pretty much dumbed down the offense, and gave him two reads to start with. By the end of the year, he really was throwing to the third option on a regular, or dumping to the RB outta the backfield.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I still like Matt Cassell, and hope he does well. The guy seems to have a really good attitude about the game.

As far as how he'll do with the Bills? I hope well, but expect the Bills to be the Bills.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All Cassell has to do is hand it off to McCoy. How could he screw that up?

Cassel.gif