The Dangers of Gaming with Women

Do you play video/board games with your wife/gf?

• Total voters

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
My wife and I get competitive in board/card games. My superior male brain typically wins but I made the mistake once of teaching her my strategies for Skip-Bo. I was in the hospital at the time and drugged up.

With video games our tastes are too far apart. I mainly play FPS, driving, or adventure type games. She doesn't go for anything that requires fast action or quick hand eye coordination so we play separately.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The only games my wife has an interest in playing are Backgammon and Scrabble. I generally pummel her at both. On the odd times when she rolls double 5's or 6's three or four times in a row in a backgammon she happily flaunts how she "beat me".

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kaines

Potato Supreme
The only games my wife has an interest in playing are Backgammon and Scrabble. I generally pummel her at both. On the odd times when she rolls double 5's or 6's three or four times in a row in a backgammon she happily flaunts how she "beat me".
Stop letting her use your loaded D&D dice.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
I played through season 1 and 2 of pandemic legacy with the wife, we tend to play the more co-op focused games together.
Mechs vs Minions
Mice and Mystics
Mysterium

For competitive games we stick to games with luck so she has a chance:
Ticket to Ride
Takenoko
Fog of Love

Most of the strictly 2 player games are tough because they tend to be very strategic and that tends to end poorly.
"If you want a happy wife
Play co-op or strategy light"

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I played through season 1 and 2 of pandemic legacy with the wife, we tend to play the more co-op focused games together.
Mechs vs Minions
Mice and Mystics
Mysterium

Ticket to Ride
Takenoko
Fog of Love

Most of the strictly 2 player games are tough because they tend to be very strategic and that tends to end poorly.
My wife: Gaming is a waste of time.
Also my wife: Five hour Facebook session later, "want to do something?"

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Mechs vs Minions
Mice and Mystics
Mysterium

Ticket to Ride
Takenoko
Fog of Love

Shades of Jordan Peterson explaining that adult rats occasionally let the infants win at play fights

• 1Worf

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
In the past I dated girls who were also into gaming. My experiences were that we would signal-boost each others' bad habits. Sometimes it was just a binge weekend of playing a new Diablo patch. Sometimes it was leaving a party early to make raid time for an MMO. Had a few "What the fuck are we doing with our lives?" talks in those sobering post-boss kill moments.

Obviously YMMV and my examples are all shitlord basement-dweller games instead of social ones, but I can appreciate now the value of being with someone who pulls you out of the basement occasionally instead of deeper into it.

• 2Like

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Every reviewer says you SHOULD play It Takes Two with your spouse/GF. Even ones who are not gamers.

Anyone with first hand experience, confirm/deny?

Indyocracy

Stock Pals Participant
<Gold Donor>
Shades of Jordan Peterson explaining that adult rats occasionally let the infants win at play fights
I had never seen or heard of this, watched a 10 minute clip. Within said clip is a segment about dogs presenting themselves for play...

Ossoi Ossoi I can't tell if you are the best or worst troll on FoH but damnit that made me laugh pretty good.

• 2Worf

Cybsled

The only danger is playing on the same team in a situation where you can blame the other party for the loss

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Every reviewer says you SHOULD play It Takes Two with your spouse/GF. Even ones who are not gamers.

Anyone with first hand experience, confirm/deny?

It’s a great game, IMO. I don’t know what the experience is like with a spouse who doesn’t game, but part of the point of the game is learning patience and communication, etc. (and maybe a little trolling of each other). Highly recommend.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I, for one, am not a bitch that plays video games with girls.
At 238 lbs I don't think you can get them to play with you at all, fatty. Close your mouth, hanger on the fridge and eat your soup with a fork for a few months and we'll talk.

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
In the past I dated girls who were also into gaming. My experiences were that we would signal-boost each others' bad habits. Sometimes it was just a binge weekend of playing a new Diablo patch. Sometimes it was leaving a party early to make raid time for an MMO. Had a few "What the fuck are we doing with our lives?" talks in those sobering post-boss kill moments.

Obviously YMMV and my examples are all shitlord basement-dweller games instead of social ones, but I can appreciate now the value of being with someone who pulls you out of the basement occasionally instead of deeper into it.
I could have the fucking power out at my house and still want to leave a party early.

• 1Worf

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I dated a woman that I met in EQ for a while. She was a cleric and I was a warrior so it worked pretty well. She lived 250 miles away from me though so that part was kind of shitty. Broke up for non game related reasons. It's now my opinion that video games are a huge waste of time so I wouldn't want to date a woman that plays them.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I dated a woman that I met in EQ for a while. She was a cleric and I was a warrior so it worked pretty well. She lived 250 miles away from me though so that part was kind of shitty. Broke up for non game related reasons. It's now my opinion that video games are a huge waste of time so I wouldn't want to date a woman that plays them.
I looked back one day at the number of hours/days/years I sunk into MMOs and it was eye opening. This is especially so with EQ.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
And at the time, our /played was a source of e-peen. Yeesh.
It was a timesink like no other. I remember sitting down reading and realizing 2 or 3 hours had passed when I got up. When EQ came along it would be 5 or 6 hours passed in the blink of an eye.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Have met 1 attractive female who gamed and it was tee hee halo (and she was REAL BAD)

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Met my wife originally while playing Darkfall. Didn’t meet in person until several years later. We’ve been together for over 10 years now…and she is definitely attractive. (Reference the previous post)
We typically don’t play the same games anymore but we both still game.

Last edited:

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Met my boyfriend in 2006 through our PvP guild. We ended up in the same raid group and the GM had a big ass get together at their house. After that we were pretty much in the same social group up until lich king, he ended up becoming besties with the arena shitlords I ran with, and they became his primary game buddies.

these days we’ll do a league or two together, but most of the time we keep in our own lanes- he’ll be playing elden ring on the x box, me on the comp, etc.

I’m the one that gets insanely competitive so we mostly avoided shit like arena together, but we love trolling in open world pvp and always have. Probably played 5,000 matches together if you take Warcraft/rift/gw2 pvp queues together but the most fun was shitting on people in astranaar/doing 7v2s in Rift.