The "Defeat Rajaah" Backlog Challenge (Ends May 31st @ 11:59 PM EST)

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
C1D34872-548F-4AFF-8D5B-D9632E236BEA.jpeg

Finished Blood Dragon Classic 10/10

still amazing
Still one of the best endings

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ghosts of Tsushima will be the next GOTY to tackle for me, but likely next month. BotW I’ll wait until a 4K switch drops and pull the trigger since I don’t own one yet.

Which outlet are you pulling your GOTY list from btw? There is a bit of variation between the major players GOTY wiki

Im making my way through Skywalker Saga as well. Can’t bring myself to play them out of order either, so looks like the middle will be the high point.

Yeah Ep 4-5 is definitely the fun part. 6 is enjoyable too, except they took out some of the best stages like Endor and the Death Star battle. Skywalker Saga looks great and they streamlined it a ton to make it less tedious than the old Lego SW games, but at the cost of removing a lot of stages.

As for GOTY I just go by what the general consensus was that I saw from players for those years. 2020 is the most debatable as GoT was up against Doom Eternal and FF7R.

Set aside some time to play Fallen Order this evening, but it crashes every time I load my save lul. Have the PS4 disc and the free PS5 upgrade (which is the version my much-further save is on) and while the PS4 version works fine, the PS5 version is like "go away". Left it on for a while so it can do whatever update it needs, maybe that'll fix it.

Or maybe this is a sign that I should just dump Fallen Order and jump on Blood Dragon PS5 instead. Thing is, something like that I'm always down for, while I'm kinda using the Backlog Challenges more as a reason to clear out the things that I have trouble getting back to for whatever reason, like JFO.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thing is, something like that I'm always down for, while I'm kinda using the Backlog Challenges more as a reason to clear out the things that I have trouble getting back to for whatever reason, like JFO.
I should be doing this and using the challenge for a true backlog. I'm just spamming games that I want to play, and then I run into the issues I posted about above where there's hours and hours of content left in a game but because I beat the main story, and checked it off, I move on and miss out on it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I should be doing this and using the challenge for a true backlog. I'm just spamming games that I want to play, and then I run into the issues I posted about above where there's hours and hours of content left in a game but because I beat the main story, and checked it off, I move on and miss out on it.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid. I haven't bumrushed Chrono Cross, Souls 3, Nioh, or Sekiro because those are things I'm gonna spend a lot of time with later. Instead I'm knocking off all these things that I've been wanting to just knock off the list but never got around to, things I often wasn't even that keen on playing, like Spirit Tracks. That was one of the couple of unbeaten Zeldas for me and finishing a series is a big thing for me if I really like that series enough. That's why I'm always lamenting the lack of Dragon Quest 10 in the west.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Mad Max (2015)
ZS1wb3N0ZXIuanBn

I put about 65 hours into this game, completed 80%+ of all the side-content and finished it last night.

completed-png.407553

A year ago, ACG on Youtube posted a video reflecting on what a great and overlooked game Mad Max 2015 was. I bought a Xbox1 copy off of Amazon for like $10 because the backwards capability on Series X is fucking awesome. Right out of the gates, I found the game to be confusing and a bit overwhelming. I put about 5 hours into two play sessions and set it down for a year.

These past two weeks, I started a new game, blew past the initial few hours that I found so daunting the first time around and got hooked. The game is fucking amazing and might be one of the best games nobody ever talks about. 2015 was a wild year. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V, Arkham Knight, Rocket League, and Halo 5 all came out that year and that is just the memorable AAA titles. I remember Mad Max coming out and it was swept to the side because of technical issues. Which is totally fair. I was really, really frustrated with Cyberpunk because it was a broken mess when I played it, but now two years later it is probably an incredible experience.

I'm so glad I returned, because Max Max is one of the best open world games I have ever played. Here are my thoughts on the individual elements in the game.

World Building, Setting, and Story
-This game lives, breathes, sweats, and bleeds Max Mad. They stayed so true to the world and the characters that you can almost feel the sand in your eyes, the dread of being all alone, always feeling grimy, and like a total fucking badass just playing it. The story draws inspiration from Fury Road, Thunder Dome, and Road Warrior but it is an original story that uses all of their best elements. After an incredible opening movie where you lose your vehicle, you set out into the world to recover what you've lost. You meet some unique characters along the way, some will be friends and most of them foes. Nothing in this world is given for free or out of charity. You are going to need help from the power brokers and they are going to require tasks out of you. As you do them, you build up their influence in the region, unlocking new skills, upgrades, and abilities for yourself. The world is expertly, hand-crafted and it really opens up as you progress. The regions are all unique in their own way, but all still very much Mad Mad. Nothing ever feels copy/pasted, but rather the team who made this really cared and really tried. The story takes you on a satisfying and fulfilling mission of revenge and by the end, you felt like you've been on one of the best rollercoaster rides of your life.

Graphics and Sound
-Even though the game is 7 years old and it came out on the previous generation of consoles, it looks like it could come out this year. Maybe it was the Series X upscaling, but it looks really good and never dips below 60 FPS. It is the little details that really make you not just see, but feel this world. The cars roar with ferocity. Guns explode with devastating impact. The Harpoon whirls through the air and thuds with heavy collision. Vehicles hurl at each other and they explode into a million pieces when they get T-boned. The War Boys hurl insults and give rallying calls to one another. The Buzzard's clan are the shrieking zombies of the barren wasteland. The voice acting on all the character-roles is quite professional. They just nailed all of it to a degree that even games coming out now years later stumble and fall short on.

Progression & Advancement Systems
There are 4 ways to advance in the game. Each has a meaningful game system behind it and you can focus on those tasks to build in a certain phase of progression if you want to.
  1. Max: You build up Max's offensive & defensive move-sets. These are purchased with Scrap currency and unlocked by doing quests.
  2. Car: You build your car's speed, defense, offensive weapons. These are also purchased with Scrap currency and unlocked by doing quests.
  3. Perks: Things like total health, how much ammo & items you gain when looting. These are gained through shamanistic tokens that you earn by completing challenges & achievements.
  4. Base Building: These projects that you find throughout the world give you regional bonuses like filling your health, canteen, and ammo all to full when you enter your base. You find these projects throughout the world in points of interest or on missions. My favorite has to be the "Cleanup Crew" that automatically retrieves scrap for you when you destroy structures and vehicles without ever having to exit your vehicle to loot enemies after you blow them to bits.
Game Mechanics
-Racing and Car Combat: This is like the game within a game and it is good enough to be it's own standalone offering. They dialed in the car speed, traction, weight, and physics so well. It is so fun ripping tires, doors, or metal protective panels off of rigs to expose vulnerable fuel tanks, then to send a shotgun blast that blows them to bits. All the while War Boys are launching Boom Javelins at you and jumping from their rig onto yours. How will you overcome a convoy of 8 rigs? Well, you can ram them, or you can stick them with your harpoon and rip them up piece by piece, or you can roast them with your side panel flame throwers, or you can try to cut a tight angle and hit your nitrous booster at just the right time to send them flying to the next zip code. And, each time you get an upgrade for your car, you feel it. It changes the performance in a meaningful enough way to give you incremental edges that you will feel more and more powerful.

-'Batman-like' Combat: If you have ever played any of Rocksteady Studio's Batman games, then you will be very familiar with this combat. Quick punches, strong punches, Parry's, Counters, Executions. It gets pretty hectic when a crowd of 12 enemy's are surrounding you, but it is fun and fluid combat. It all has weight to it. The punches crack and smash. The animations are fluid and brutal. This type of combat works very well for this world, but it also feels very familiar and a bit unoriginal.

-Scavenger Hunt: All the areas of the game world have a set amount of loot that you can collect. When you enter a new enemy base and pick up a piece of scrap, the game tells you "You have collected 1/10..." So you know just exactly how on-track you are to clear out an area. No sense of feeling of, "Am I missing something here?" The game is clever where it hides stuff, but with this checklist system it makes it fun and manageable to work your way through and know you've completed an area. Do you like Collectables? There are over 32 unique Vehicles in the world to hunt for and find, hundreds of history relics that add to the world building, and 13 powerful hood ornaments that you have to tear off of their owners vehicles in their protective convoys to claim. They give your car new, powerful bonuses and look pretty badass.

-Economy: Scrap is the currency of the post apocalyptical world. You find it when you kill enemies and their machines, you collect it bases, and you are rewarded with it when you complete missions. Having one currency works extremely well. There are about 37 large enemy camps around the world. They are side missions, but very important to clear out because when you do, you install your own workers that will provide you a steady income of scrap on 15 minute intervals. The earlier on in the game you clear these, the more incremental income you build up. It is very rewarding to be going along on your way and to see "Friendly Camps Have Added 435 scrap to your Stronghold" right as you unlock a new ability that you need to pay for with scrap. The flow of this game from "Unlock --> Currency Gain --> Purchase --> Unlock --> Currency Gain --> Purchase..." is all balanced so well that you know the developers played and loved their own game.

Final Thoughts
Most movie license games are utter dogshit. They trick moronic kids and their parents to dropping another $60 on games that are outsourced to Malaysia and took 4 weeks to make. They are just there to capitalize on the marketing hype of their movies. This game is not that. It deserves to sit at the right hand of Fury Road in the pantheon of the best the Mad Max franchise has to offer.

The fact that this game was released and then largely forgotten in less than a month is a travesty. There is so much content here and all of it is so well crafted. It had to be so disheartening and disappointing to Avalanche studios for things to have played out like they did. This game deserves so much better than to be in the $10 bargain bins.

There isn't any aspect of this game that feels half-baked or filler. Every game mechanic serves a purpose and is fleshed out. They made a game that is fun, challenging, wild, and at times, creepy as fuck. All the game system mesh together to form such a cohesive product. I don't know if it is the Director, Producer, or Designer, but someone really deserves some accolades. Maybe it is all of them, because they showed some real genius here.

I Witness You Mad Max (2015), you are anything but Mediocre.

JkMTE1yyn0U9uWY9V0Tm9i_YognsipqGxmMne2ai2Po.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8827.jpg

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Mad Max (2015)
ZS1wb3N0ZXIuanBn

I put about 65 hours into this game, completed 80%+ of all the side-content and finished it last night.

completed-png.407553

A year ago, ACG on Youtube posted a video reflecting on what a great and overlooked game Mad Max 2015 was. I bought a Xbox1 copy off of Amazon for like $10 because the backwards capability on Series X is fucking awesome. Right out of the gates, I found the game to be confusing and a bit overwhelming. I put about 5 hours into two play sessions and set it down for a year. This past two weeks, I started a new game, blew past the initial few hours that I found so daunting the first time around and got hooked. The game is fucking amazing and might be one of the best games nobody ever talks about. 2015 was a wild year. Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Bloodborne, Metal Gear Solid V, Arkham Knight, Rocket League, and Halo 5 all came out that year and that is just the memorable AAA titles. I remember Mad Max coming out and it was swept to the side in about a week because of technical issues. Which is totally fair. I was really, really frustrated with Cyberpunk because it was a broken mess when I played it, but now two years later it is probably an incredible experience.

Max Max is one of the best open world games I have ever played. Here are my thoughts on the individual elements in the game.

World Building, Setting, and Story
-This game lives, breathes, sweats, and bleeds Max Mad. They stayed so true to the world and the characters that you can almost feel the sand in your eyes, all alone, grimy, and like a total fucking badass just playing it. The story draws inspiration from Fury Road, Thunderdome, and Road Warrior but it is an original story that uses all of their best elements. After a badass opening movie where you lose your vehicle, you set out into the world to recover what you've lost. You meet some unique characters along the way, some will be friends and most of them foes. Nothing in this world is given for free or out of charity. You are going to need help from the power brokers of the world and they are going to require tasks out of you. As you do them, you build up their influence in the region, unlocking new skills, upgrades, and abilities for yourself. The world is expertly, hand-crafted and it really opens up as you progress. The regions are all unique in their own way, but all still very much Mad Mad. Nothing ever feels copy/pasted, but rather the team who made this really cared and really tried. The story takes you on a satisfying and fulfilling story of revenge and by the end, you felt like you've been on one of the best rollercoaster rides of your life.

Graphics and Sound
-Well, the game is 7 years old and it came out on the previous generation of consoles. Even then, it looks like it could come out this year. Maybe it was the Series X upscaling, but it looks really good and never dips below 60 FPS. It is the little details that really make you not just see, but feel this world. The car's hurl at each other and explode into a million pieces when they get T-boned. The war boys give rallying calls to one another and the buzzards are like shrieking zombies of the barren wasteland. The voice acting on all the character roles is very professional. They just nailed it to a degree that even games coming out now years later stumble and fall short on.

Progression & Advancement Systems
There are 4 ways to advance in the game. Each has a meaningful game system behind it and you can focus on those tasks to build in a certain phase of progression if you want to.
  1. Max: You build up Max's offensive & defensive move-sets. These are purchased with Scrap currency and unlocked by doing quests.
  2. Car: You build your car's speed, defense, offensive weapons. These are also purchased with Scrap currency and unlocked by doing quests.
  3. Perks: Things like total health, how much ammo & items you gain when looting. These are gained through shamanistic tokens that you earn by completing challenges & achievements.
  4. Base Building: These give perks like filling your health, canteen, and ammo all to full when you enter your base. You find projects throughout the world in points of interest or on missions.
Game Mechanics
-Racing and Car Combat: This is like the game within a game and it is good enough to be it's own standalone offering. They dialed in the car speed, traction, weight, and physics so well. It is so fun ripping tires, doors, or metal protective panels off of rigs to expose vulnerable fuel tanks, then to send a shotgun blast that blows them to bits. All the while War Boys are launching Boom Javelins at you and jumping from their rig onto yours. How will you overcome a convoy of 8 rigs? Well, you can ram them, or you can stick them with your harpoon and rip them up piece by piece, or you can roast them with your side panel flame throwers, or you can try to cut a tight angle and hit your nitrous booster at just the right time to send them flying to the next zip code. And, each time you get an upgrade for your car, you feel it. It changes the performance in a meaningful enough way to give you incremental edges that you will feel more and more powerful.

-'Batman-like' Combat: If you have ever played any of Rocksteady Studio's Batman games, then you will be very familiar with this combat. Quick punches, strong punches, Parry's, Counters, Executions. It gets pretty hectic when a crowd of 12 enemy's are surrounding you, but it is fun and fluid combat. It all has weight to it. The punches crack and smash. The animations are fluid and brutal. This type of combat works very well for this world, but it also feels very familiar and a bit unoriginal.

-Scavenger Hunt: All the areas of the game world have a set amount of loot that you can collect. When you enter a new enemy base and pick up a piece of scrap, the game tells you "You have collected 1/10..." So you know just exactly how on-track you are to clear out an area. No sense of feeling of, "Am I missing something here?" The game is clever where it hides stuff, but with this checklist system it makes it fun and manageable to work your way through and know you've completed an area.

Final Thoughts
Most movie license games are utter dogshit. They are there to trick moronic kids and their parents to dropping another $60 on games that took 4 weeks to make, and capitalize on the marketing hype of their movies. This game is not that. It deserves to sit at the right hand of Fury Road, in the pantheon of the best the Mad Max franchise has to offer.

The fact that this game was released and then largely forgotten in less than a month is a travesty. There is so much content here and all of it is so well crafted. It had to be so disheartening and disappointing to Avalanche studios for things to have played out like they did. This game deserves so much better than to be in the $10 bargain bins.

They made a game that is fun, challenging, wild, and at times, creepy as fuck. All the game system mesh together to form such a cohesive project, that someone really deserves some accolades. I don't know if it is their Director, Producer, or Designer... but they had some real genius here.

I Witness You Mad Max 2015.

JkMTE1yyn0U9uWY9V0Tm9i_YognsipqGxmMne2ai2Po.jpg

View attachment 407737
I sat this game down in 2015 and never came back to it. I think your post got me wanting to play this again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
FF7 Remake finished. Now that I'm getting bored of Lost Ark maybe I'll finally start Elden Ring... or the new Star Wars Lego game...

1649864877838.png

1649864888576.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This thread really taking off now everyone beating Elden ring. Keep cleaning those backlogs.

Crone

Halfway through the month and I haven't beaten a single thing. I'm such a loser! lol

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Halfway through the month and I haven't beaten a single thing. I'm such a loser! lol

Just gotta focus on one thing at a time. Back in 2010 when I first started to have more games than I was actually finishing, there was a point where I was trying to get through four games at once (FFIX, Odin Sphere, Persona 4, Pokemon Diamond). It was taking forever to get any of them done. Eventually I got through all of them but it took like half the year and was sort of frustrating. In more recent years I just focus on one thing at a time and they actually get done that way.

FF7 Remake finished. Now that I'm getting bored of Lost Ark maybe I'll finally start Elden Ring... or the new Star Wars Lego game...

View attachment 407785

View attachment 407786

Did you find the final chapter to be ludicrous Kingdom Hearts timey wimey DBZ space battle bullshit? They should have ended it at Chapter 17 and been somewhat loyal to FF7 instead of giving us whatever that was at the end. And then basically negating Crisis Core altogether was just an extra fart before it was all over. I'll still play FF7R-2 day one but ya, they left this one in the oven a few minutes too long.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
How do people feel about extending this one to the end of May or even June instead of the end of April? Feels like it's just getting rolling now and I don't know if anyone's lined up to run the show in following months. I wouldn't mind keeping it going at all. This has never been done before in the storied history of Backlog Challenges but it seems appropriate to extend it to some later date.

Thoughts?

Warr

<Bronze Donator>
I mean Mad Max is very Mad Maxy, but it's also very very GENERIC SANDBOX GAME.
It can be. Best bet is to go in and fight the urge to 100% it. I enjoyed it much more my second time through just getting the things I wanted to get.

Crone

Started FC3 Blood Dragon. Pretty sweet so far. This one is short so hopefully can at least finish this one.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Alright, if no one is opposed to a May extension let's do it. April is just too short when everyone's coming off Elden Ring. Also gonna double the amount of the Participation Award (the one I'm giving out). The pot grows.

Amod Amod Can we get the end date in the post title changed to May 31st plz

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Alright, if no one is opposed to a May extension let's do it. April is just too short when everyone's coming off Elden Ring. Also gonna double the amount of the Participation Award (the one I'm giving out). The pot grows.

Amod Amod Can we get the end date in the post title changed to May 31st plz
Done. Can you edit the OP to convey the proper 'double or nothing' aspect you're thinking of?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just gotta focus on one thing at a time. Back in 2010 when I first started to have more games than I was actually finishing, there was a point where I was trying to get through four games at once (FFIX, Odin Sphere, Persona 4, Pokemon Diamond). It was taking forever to get any of them done. Eventually I got through all of them but it took like half the year and was sort of frustrating. In more recent years I just focus on one thing at a time and they actually get done that way.

Did you find the final chapter to be ludicrous Kingdom Hearts timey wimey DBZ space battle bullshit? They should have ended it at Chapter 17 and been somewhat loyal to FF7 instead of giving us whatever that was at the end. And then basically negating Crisis Core altogether was just an extra fart before it was all over. I'll still play FF7R-2 day one but ya, they left this one in the oven a few minutes too long.
I’ve never played Kingdom Hearts or seen Crisis Core but yes, the last chapter was pretty fucking weird.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’ve never played Kingdom Hearts or seen Crisis Core but yes, the last chapter was pretty fucking weird.

I got the impression that the devs wanted to shoehorn in the DBZ space fight with the time gods or whatever it was, because they'd created it for a later episode, and liked it so much they wanted to get it into part one. The Sephiroth fight in particular would have been great in like, Remake Pt 3. Instead here it is totally out of place.

Done. Can you edit the OP to convey the proper 'double or nothing' aspect you're thinking of?

Done, we now have 3 prizes for a cool $50 each.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user