The "Defeat Rajaah" Backlog Challenge (Ends May 31st @ 11:59 PM EST)

KurganAU

<Gold Donor>
The main annoyance in this game was the parts where it'd drop you in a room where you had to inspect things in a certain order, or whatever. The birthday scenes later in the game were so annoying because I didn't know what to do and basically just kept inspecting everything in different orders. That was about when I mentally checked out on the game, but I only had like one real chapter and a couple boss fights left.
I played in spurts of hours and would use the next chapter showing up as a marker to stop for the night.
It's getting late, I'm on chapter 10 and I get to the bit where you are fighting the reskinned ghost fog enemies (because reusing assets is tight!), and it just keeps going and going. After a few rounds, I caved and looked up what to do. From being prompted to make choices the whole game, doing QTE, now I'm supposed to do nothing while still being prompted. I said fuck you game out loud. Let me go to bed dammit!
Like you mentioned, gameplay decent enough but cutscenes and story was the drive to play.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I played in spurts of hours and would use the next chapter showing up as a marker to stop for the night.
It's getting late, I'm on chapter 10 and I get to the bit where you are fighting the reskinned ghost fog enemies (because reusing assets is tight!), and it just keeps going and going. After a few rounds, I caved and looked up what to do. From being prompted to make choices the whole game, doing QTE, now I'm supposed to do nothing while still being prompted. I said fuck you game out loud. Let me go to bed dammit!
Like you mentioned, gameplay decent enough but cutscenes and story was the drive to play.

Reusing assets is tight!

That was my problem with it, some of the levels would just go on and ON. And later on there were things like that where you had to do a certain obscure thing to continue with the game or else enemy waves would just repeat over and over without any indication that you're doing it wrong.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Had a super-weird dream. I picked up Fallout 4 to finish Nuka-World. Except the game was...real? Not sure if it was a VR holodeck thing or what, but I was "in" the game and it all felt completely real. However I still had VATS so it was still a game.

I picked up the quest I left off with in Nuka-World and followed quest markers trying to figure it out. Ended up finding an overworld open-area base with like exterior walls of stacked cars and stuff, then got blasted by laser turrets because it turned out to be one area I hadn't cleared. Couldn't get the hang of fighting in this real-world gameplay so I ran away like a COWARD.

Next I found some kind of bombed-out mansion in the woods and ended up exploring that. Followed the quest markers and ended up finding a room with a bunch of potted plants, where it said I could craft a marijuana. Had a few choices, like Indica, Sativa, and a third thing with a name I've never seen before and can't remember. I made Sativa, then a guy showed up immediately and asked to share it. Was gonna save it for later but I went ahead and did that because I thought it was for the quest. It wasn't, and nothing happened except the "screen" (my vision) got all sway-y for a minute. Followed the objective markers through the house and back outside, slid down a slope in the woods, and ended up...right back where I started, still totally lost.

Now the unfinishedness of my Nuka-World game is haunting me in my sleep.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220508_210027.jpg

Anotha one! I had way too many of these Warriors games to catch up on. This one was the longest by far, probably 3x the length of your average Dynasty Warriors. Was the most fun out of all of them though, due to the magic system among other things.

1649864888576-1.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
For some reason the way gamepass sets up minecraft didn't put any achievement info on my microsoft profile, so all I have is the in-game advancement.

enderdragon.png

1649864888576-1-png.411620

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Finished Outer Worlds in about 20 hours. With some of the original designers working on Fallout this was supposed to be amazing. It was just ok. Recommend if on deep sale.

OuterWilds-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220512_174427.jpg

Finished Warriors All-Stars. This one was super short which caught me off guard, took like 4 hours. Compared to most modern Warriors games that's nothing. Kind of a weird-ass game but it was alright. Now I'm all out of Warriors games aside from Dynasty 9 which is pretty shite so I don't know if I'll actually finish that one.

1649864888576-1.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
We're down to the last ten days of the challenge! Let's see some last-minute submissions.

I've only got Monday and Tuesday free, but I've got two of those pairs left. Might try to knock out Resident Evil 1 and 2 finally, maaaybe Nuka-World if I want to suffer. Cuphead and FNAF 5 are both close to the end. If I got all five of those I'd have pretty much obliterated all of the backlog I set out to get at the beginning of the year so that'd be cool. However it's just as likely I won't get to any of 'em, despite all being short. We'll see.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Horizon: Forbidden West a few weeks ago, and Hollow Knight yesterday. HFW was kinda weak(disappointing), Hollow Knight was fantastic. More interested in HK sequel than anything Horizon might do in the future.

4B128F76-E7FA-45CB-A8E2-48FC754BC0A6.png

7296A3F9-5C8E-4023-8068-07904EF2CCF6.png

0D81A0CE-4B9F-4662-A11E-35CE2C83A02F.png

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Well, I didn't get to Resident Evil 1, Cuphead, FNAF5 or Nuka-World, but other than those I finished pretty much everything on the backlog that was nagging at me (i.e. not the really good things that I'm looking forward to).

20220528_181514.jpg

For my last game of this run I fired up Far Cry: Blood Dragon (PS4 remaster) because I wanted to play something that is actually awesome, and it didn't disappoint. Such a good nod to Terminator, Predator, Karate Kid, and basically everything rad that I grew up with. I'm gonna 100% it in the near future when I have time, too.

1649864888576-2.png

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Last one this month, Salt and Sanctuary. Somewhat bland overall, but enjoyable. Can’t compare to Hollow Knight though.

E887B43A-43F9-4279-897B-C16F416089E4.png

54617B3D-C22A-4299-81D0-D62412E2B478.png

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
ANNNNND TIME.

Gonna add up everyone's points and post the winners this week.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
This one is a real, real long time backlog entry:

Icewind Dale Enhance Edition
Took about 44 Hours
MDI4MjM

completedcropped-png.408799

I started and stop this game, probably 4 different times over the past 20 years. I've played through BG1 and BG2 probably 4 times each, but never could get past the first few hours with this one. Finally kicked in the dick and finished the whole thing.

View attachment 409625

This is on my list too. I wonder if Icewind Dale II is gonna get the enhanced edition treatment at some point like Baldur and all these other CRPGs.

One of these years I'm gonna take a few months and just go down the CRPG rabbit hole. So many great ones that I missed because I was primarily a console guy.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Here we go Utnayan Utnayan

Note: I went off of the exact version of the game people played when I did HLTB totals. For example, the original Kingdoms of Amalur is listed at 31 hours and the remake, despite being the same thing, is listed at 20 hours (likely because modern people are spending less time and speeding through it). I finished the remake so I got 20 points, not 31 points. Everything is version-specific.

In order of appearance:

Regime Regime
Far Cry 6 - 23
Blood Dragon - 4.5
Elden Ring - 51

Rajaah:
Doom 64 - 7
Pokemon Legends: Arceus - 24.5
Skywalker Saga - 18.5
Injustice 2 - 5.5
Jedi Fallen Order - 17
Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - 20.5
Guardians of the Galaxy - 17.5
Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate - 35.5
Warriors All-Stars - 8
Blood Dragon - 4.5

KurganAU KurganAU
Bulletstorm - 7.5
God of War 2018 - 21
Skywalker Saga - 18.5
Blood Dragon - 4.5
Guardians of the Galaxy - 17.5

Fight Fight
Mad Max - 20
Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition - 31

Falstaff Falstaff
FF7 Remake - 33

Seananigans Seananigans
Overcooked: All You Can Eat - 28.5
Castle Crashers - 7
Horizon: Forbidden West - 27
Hollow Knight - 26.5
Salt and Sanctuary - 16

Gavinmad Gavinmad
Minecraft - 130

Shmoopy Shmoopy
Outer Worlds - 13

Totals:
Rajaah: 158.5
Gavinmad: 130
Seananigans: 105
Regime: 78.5
KurganAU: 69
Fight: 51
Falstaff: 33
Shmoopy: 13

CHALLENGE #1 WINNER: Rajaah

Rolling off out of 480 points, going by the previous list and excluding me:

1654201326589.png

#262 falls in Regime's number block

CHALLENGE #2 WINNER: Regime Regime

Rolling between the remaining 6 people
Gavinmad: 1
Seananigans: 2
KurganAU: 3
Fight: 4
Falstaff: 5
Shmoopy: 6

1654201565729.png

CHALLENGE #3 WINNER: Seananigans Seananigans

A fun time was had by all, hope we do this again.

• 3Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Cool, thanks Rajaah, and congrats peeps!

I think I posted that I only beat Overcooked 1, but it was part of the All You Can Eat bundle version, sorry for any confusion. I think that only affects my total points and not challenge 2 or 3 though.

• 2Like