The Division

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
That and it looks like the PS4 is getting a pretty healthy price drop coming up soonish.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
PC version will obviously be best version, but does anyone really even know what this game is at this point? I played it at PAX and the demo we had was just a 4v4 arena deathmatch sort of thing. Attach chainsaws to the guns and it would have been Gears of War. Is there even any persistence left in this game?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
This game is sounding less and less like I wanted it to turn out.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I thought this was supposed to be more open map objective based pvp not COD?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Wait where is this info that it's just a generic shooter now? What did I miss? Surely it's not just one dude's impressions of a preliminary tradeshow demo?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
We only give unlimited benefit of the doubt to Star Citizen, you can freely assume whatever you want about other games.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I originally thought it was going to be a massive open map co-op survival game.

"Woah it's another group of players. Brace for PvP."

Quaid

Trump's Staff
isnt this that old video from like a year ago.
I dunno man... probably. Who cares though? I don't understand what people think is going on in these videos, but the game looks fucking excellent.

The world is open and massive. From the looks of it a large portion of New York City including Southern Manhattan Island. This open world is littered with PVE encounters of varying levels and difficulty that defines the quality of loot. I'm betting the PVE elements are dynamic too. During PVE engagements, it looks like other players are free to engage you. It looks like you can remain in the open world even if you don't have a group which means it's not some lobby piece of shit. To ensure PVP happens frequently and meaningfully they added the 'extraction' mechanic. That feature alone makes death meaningful without being prohibitively painful either. I bet there will be a 'full loot mode' for the hardcores. Speaking of loot, looks like that's the focus, which is almost always great IMO. UI looks clean and intuitive... love the art style...

I dunno... game looks legit. I don't get all the doom and gloom, but maybe I missed something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yes, the post right before Bisi:
PC version will obviously be best version, but does anyone really even know what this game is at this point?I played it at PAX and the demo we had was just a 4v4 arena deathmatch sort of thing. Attach chainsaws to the guns and it would have been Gears of War. Is there even any persistence left in this game?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So they let the press/PAX attendees test the combat in a controlled demo environment.

If there was a demo of EverQuest at PAX, within which they had to convey the fundamentals of the game to a player in 5-10 minute intervals, would they drop you at the starting point in Qeynos or Kelethin? No, they would have crafted a brief controlled combat experience in a representative environment. The version he played at PAX was probably meaningless.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't know what else there is to it, just felt like every time they showed more of it it had shrunk more in scale, then the demo thing at PAX was just pure pvp combat. There was some mechanic with a helicopter to escape with at the end, and you could turn on your teammates if you wanted to to try and and escape by yourself? It wasn't explained hardly at all as they shuffled people through so I naded everyone at the end and left by myself and "won".

I was expecting some kind of pve experience if they really are going for full multiplayer survival, but what they demod was just pure 3rd person pvp shooter.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's definitely PVE because they've highlighted that the best high-end loot comes from PVP areas (can't turn your PVP flag off). That implies that every other area you can choose whether or not to flag yourself for PVP. And in the narrated demo they made it sound like they want it to be somewhat taboo for you to be PVP flagged, like you're painting a target on yourself as the oddball. Who knows if the community will actually engage the game like that? I have my doubts.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
well I think the problem is, no one knows for sure if they will be able to have a persistent open world and what the cap of said world will be? because fuck all if its 12 people. I would rather go play with my dick.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's definitely PVE because they've highlighted that the best high-end loot comes from PVP areas (can't turn your PVP flag off). That implies that every other area you can choose whether or not to flag yourself for PVP. And in the narrated demo they made it sound like they want it to be somewhat taboo for you to be PVP flagged, like you're painting a target on yourself as the oddball. Who knows if the community will actually engage the game like that? I have my doubts.
FPS Eve is what people have been wanting for some time. Fantasy Eve, too. Even spaceship Eve where you actually fly the fucking spaceships would be pretty good. The idea between high risk high reward play (null sec) with territory control (hey, null sec !) is what people have been clamoring for for a while. Eve just manages to make it piss boring and extremely counterintuitive for new players. So here we are with a great design doc for how a game could be and then the division came to ...PAX? I think.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Wait... People thought The Division was going to have EVE-like territory control systems? No fucking wonder people are so disappointed. It's not going to be anything like that.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wait... People thought The Division was going to have EVE-like territory control systems? No fucking wonder people are so disappointed. It's not going to be anything like that.
its going to be 32 man maps lol