The Division

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
That will depend on your provider. Some ISP have good connectivity with some networks, some have shit. It doesn't matter what YOUR connectivity to YOUR ISP is, it matters what the ISP has.

In the old days (read 1999), data flowed where it could and where there was capacity. That's no longer true: data flows where your ISP pays (or, depending, where the other guy's ISP pays). Here, for instance, people can switch ISPs, keep the same landline connected to the same DSLAM, and have their Youtube speed go from stuttering at 360p to lightning fast buffering at 1080p. One ISP has decided that the network necessary to connect to Google's infra was asking too much, and doesn't pay; the others have caved in and pay.

Elaborating: At home, I've got basic cable, with about 15Mbit/s. I watch 1080p or "native" videos no problem. At work, I have 100Mbits/s but I'm borderline with Youtube at anything beyond 480p. Reason? My home network is a consumer network, access to Youtube was important. My work ISP is an academic/research ISP; youtubers aren't their priority.
(oh, and I got lucky with Valve's network; my laptop upgrades Steam stuff at 5 or 6 Mbyte/s at work, but caps just below 2Mbyte at home).
Wow, how has nobody called bullshit yet? Maybe your work has a limit on streaming bandwidth... Maybe that 100m connection you overheard someone talking about is backhaul to a datacenter that has a small internet pipe. You definitely have no idea what you're talking about.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Wow, how has nobody called bullshit yet? Maybe your work has a limit on streaming bandwidth... Maybe that 100m connection you overheard someone talking about is backhaul to a datacenter that has a small internet pipe.
I work on a daily basis with the network guys (I'm the CISO). I do have the routers and FW config, I even wrote the rules for the latter. Believe me, I know the network setup around, and I do meet with our upstream ISP guys on a quarterly basis for cooperation on various projects.

Oh, and I do get more than 6 Mbyte (55Mb) with Steam everytime there's a game that updates at work instead of at home (where I get only 2.3 Mb on cable). And that's because the data comes from Valve thru a different BGP path (check that name on google for a detailed explanation) than the Youtube stuff. One of those pipes on our ISP is large enough. One is not.
You definitely have no idea what you're talking about.
Been working on networks since 1984 (X25/BITNET) and full on IP since 1990. Now, if you asked me about Java programming (I'm stuck at the C level, and I even hate C++) or the merits of hardware acceleration for video codecs, I'd be clueless. But networks?

Executive summary, tl;dr: Sometimes when Youtube is shit, it's not because your connection is shit, it might be your ISP who does not want to pay for a Google guzzling pipe.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Holy shit, if that map size is true that's going to be fucking insane. Lots of good info, let's hope it's all true, especially the death punishment.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Very cool would love to see a dayz map overlay since it seems to take forever to go anywhere or see anyone. With 2000+ people should be some good times to be had.

Video 13 of the same guy on youtube shows that they are releasing for PC as we already knew; however they he said it is not a port, but a full fledged release.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Very cool would love to see a dayz map overlay since it seems to take forever to go anywhere or see anyone. With 2000+ people should be some good times to be had.

Video 13 of the same guy on youtube shows that they are releasing for PC as we already knew; however they he said it is not a port, but a full fledged release.
Praise Cthulhu!

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's what every developer says nowadays. It's meaningless until we get it in our hands and see for ourselves.

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Stop being mean to me, nanananana don't want to hear you want to believe a real release!! I hope if they do a port its good enough, I really don't want to buy a PS4 for one game. To be honest I really don't want to buy a PS4 because I suck using controllers now. Hate getting older and out of practice. Go a few months of not picking up a controller and I cannot hit a barn.

asocirev_sl

shitlord
Looks like I need to dial back my excitement for this game a bit. On top of the very little information available, looks to be delayed until 2015.

?The game engine works well, it is not clear but works well. Actual game development has barely begun, however. The fact that Ubisoft issued a 2014 release date seems laughable if I?ll be completely honest, we will never have time to release The Division this year. This is a big project, we have very far to go??
http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/t...division-2015/

Considering the lack of information on the game this leaked release delay makes sense. They just aren't that far along.

The Division delayed to 2015 | Massively

The Division delayed to 2015

Remember that rumor where an Ubisoft employee used the word "laughable" to describe the 2014 launch window for The Division?

As it turns out, it was pretty much spot on.

"As you have noticed, The Division is not included into our full-year guidance," Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot said during today's financial call. "It will now be released in calendar 2015. We will provide more information on this highly anticipated new brand at E3."

This is depressing I so want to play this.

spronk

FPS noob
while i don't really consider division an MMO (more of a lobby game like diablo, destiny, etc) it looks like the PC port is gonna be held back so it doesn't look better than the console versions
frown.png

The Division Developer Insider: WhatIfGaming

ubisoft did the same thing with watch dogs, hilariously they left the code in the game so hackers have turned on shit that makes the game look way better.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
WhatIfGaming_sl said:
a lot of push coming from publishers to not make the experience so different on consoles as to alienate people into thinking that next generation is not as powerful as PC.
Well, guess what? If you do have to downgrade performance for the PC to make it look equivalent to consoles, then maybe it's not people thinking that consoles aren't as powerful as PC. Maybe they really are less powerful than a PC. And it's time for people to realize that, yes, the thing that costs half the price of a PC rig is not more powerful than the PC rig.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well, guess what? If you do have to downgrade performance for the PC to make it look equivalent to consoles, then maybe it's not people thinking that consoles aren't as powerful as PC. Maybe they really are less powerful than a PC. And it's time for people to realize that, yes, the thing that costs half the price of a PC rig is not more powerful than the PC rig.
Someone that actually believes a console is more powerful than a PC is pants on head retarded. A Console might be better than your average PC, but no where near the capability of what a person involved in Top Tier PC Gaming would have. Ultra settings on everything, such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, the newest Crysis etc. The Division, if not tuned down, is going to look incredible on its best settings on the PC. (At least I hope!)