The Documentary Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I thoroughly enjoyed the Sparks Brothers documentary and would recommend it highly to anyone into 70's and 80's music, more specifically musicians who pushed boundaries after their example. These two were hugely influential and flew under the radar for most people.
I knew so little about them that, when I saw the trailer and that it was directed by Edgar Wright, I thought it was a mockumentary. It was an incredibly entertaining documentary, and very informative, especially since I knew literally nothing about them. I've also had "When Do I get to Sing "My Way"" creeping into my head ever since.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw Roadrunner as well, and that one I would have a hard time recommending unless you were a fan of, or at least particularly interested in, Anthony Bourdain. The doc covers from Kitchen Confidential until his suicide. I enjoyed it personally, but, unlike The Sparks Brothers, it was an examination of a particular period in a man's life, not a retrospective of a lifetime.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The woodstock 99 documentary on HBO was decent.

Kind of a mix of Fyre Festival but with nu metal instead of influencers.

Let down by overdoing "you're a white male!!!!" Reeeing

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Started watching the Sparks documentary by Edgar Wright, but the subject matter wasn't interesting enough

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Good doc about the founder of Burton snowboards. HBO has been killing it with their documentaries.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I don't really follow or listen to true crime stuff but came across this one. What a truly revolting case, if not interesting. All because he met a younger hotter thing and decided just being a normal dude and getting divorced wasn't the route he wanted to take. How did this dude think this shit would play out? Jesus fuck man.

This is 1 of 3 about the same case.
Man thats a rabbithole. This interrogation is half comedy and half wtf. Dude totally broke the detectives;

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just finished 14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible, about a Nepali guy attempting to break the record of the completing all fourteen 8000 meter peaks in 7 years...in 7 months. The guy is pretty nuts, previously being a Gurkha and in the Special Boat Service.

It's on Netflix so pretty accessible.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Watched that too and thought it was pretty good. They kinda rushed through a lot but still an amazing feat. Was pretty nuts how they would find people randomly stranded alone.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Was pretty nuts how they would find people randomly stranded alone.
Climbing ultra peaks like that is pretty morbid, especially Everest. People die high up and their corpses are just left on the trail or where they finally come to rest as it is not feasible to remove them. See "green boots";

Green Boots joined the ranks of roughly 200 corpses remaining on Everest by the early 21st century.[14][15] It is unknown when the term "Green Boots" entered Everest parlance. Over the years it became a common term, as all the expeditions from the north side encountered the body of the climber curled up in the limestone alcove cave. The cave is at 27,890 feet (8,500 m) and is littered with oxygen bottles. It is below the first step on the path.

Another fallen climber who earned a nickname, "Sleeping Beauty", is Francys Arsentiev, who died in 1998 during an unsuccessful descent from Everest after summiting. Her body remained where she fell and was visible until 2007, when it was ceremonially hidden from view.[5]

Additional bodies are in "Rainbow Valley", an area below the summit strewn with corpses wearing brightly colored mountaineering apparel.[16] Yet another named corpse is that of Hannelore Schmatz, who, with a prominent position on the south route, earned the moniker "the German woman"; she summited in 1979 but died at 8,200 metres (27,000') altitude during her descent.[17] She remained there for many years but was eventually blown further down the mountain.

Some times you get mistaken for a corpse yourself then get left to turn into one;
In 2006, British mountaineer David Sharp was found in a hypothermic state in Green Boots' Cave by climber Mark Inglis and his party. Inglis continued his ascent after radioing for advice on how to help Sharp, which he was unable to provide. Sharp died of extreme cold some hours later. Approximately three dozen other climbers would have passed by the dying man that day; it has been suggested that those who noticed him mistook Sharp for Green Boots and therefore paid little attention.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I though 14 peaks was good. Not great. Had mostly to do with the pacing of the story and the fact that the guy's just a machine that eats 8k peaks for breakfast.

The Alpinist was great tho. There are scenes in it where I clenched my buttcheeks. Dude free solos rock and ice and snow all in the same climb.

On Prime I think

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
dopesick is good, its not a documentary i guess its like a mini doc series if you wanna call it that

Animosity

This was an excellent documentary about Nickelodeon in the 90s. If you were a kid in the 90s, I highly recommend watching this. You can stream it on Hulu.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users