The Documentary Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Bit of a necro on this thread:

Anyone caught the Fyre and Fyre Fraud documentaries? I just watched Fyre Fraud and holy shit people are just so fucking stupid nowadays buying into all this social media shit.

Jesus they even said Escobar owned Normans' Cay, anyone with the remotest knowledge about drugs can tell you Carlos Ledher owned that island.

People are so dumb now it's literally unreal.

It goes to show you the power of social media and nativity of people believing whatever they see...

I am so happy that they all lost tons of fucking money for living such lifestyle.

Billy McFarland was an interesting character...truly a sociopath...

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
It goes to show you the power of social media and nativity of people believing whatever they see...

I am so happy that they all lost tons of fucking money for living such lifestyle.

Billy McFarland was an interesting character...truly a sociopath...

Watched it, was interesting. Felt very sorry for those Bahamian day laborers and the lady who owned the restaurant though. They were all out thousands and like that lady said, she lost 50k that she had been saving up for a lifetime for a rainy day. Then these crooked punks show up and stiff these poor people just trying to do their job. Glad to see he got 6 years, hope he is still serving it.

Social media just makes it much easier and faster to manipulate people. We are without a doubt headed into dystopia territory in the future. The power and control it is capable of his way beyond the old days of pravda and snake oil salesmen going from town to town.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Watched it, was interesting. Felt very sorry for those Bahamian day laborers and the lady who owned the restaurant though. They were all out thousands and like that lady said, she lost 50k that she had been saving up for a lifetime for a rainy day. Then these crooked punks show up and stiff these poor people just trying to do their job. Glad to see he got 6 years, hope he is still serving it.

Social media just makes it much easier and faster to manipulate people. We are without a doubt headed into dystopia territory in the future. The power and control it is capable of his way beyond the old days of pravda and snake oil salesmen going from town to town.

One of the guys' in the documentary who was there and writing about it on twitter started a go fund me for the Bahamian lady and it has raised 100k or something.

The media all portrayed it as rich kids who went and go fucked over but 99% of the people at the festival were normal people who figured 700 bucks for a few days in the islands was a good deal even without the festival.

I'm glad he got prison, hopefully anyone in business will give him a wide berth in the future.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
One of the guys' in the documentary who was there and writing about it on twitter started a go fund me for the Bahamian lady and it has raised 100k or something.

The media all portrayed it as rich kids who went and go fucked over but 99% of the people at the festival were normal people who figured 700 bucks for a few days in the islands was a good deal even without the festival.

I'm glad he got prison, hopefully anyone in business will give him a wide berth in the future.
6 year is nothing....holy shit...you get more for snorting a line...

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bit of a necro on this thread:

Anyone caught the Fyre and Fyre Fraud documentaries? I just watched Fyre Fraud and holy shit people are just so fucking stupid nowadays buying into all this social media shit.

Jesus they even said Escobar owned Normans' Cay, anyone with the remotest knowledge about drugs can tell you Carlos Ledher owned that island.

People are so dumb now it's literally unreal.
I watched the Hulu one. It seems to imply that the FuckJerry social media company made the Netflix one? Makes me tempted to watch it too.

I only vaguely remember the Fyre festival shit when it happened, but wow was that whole ordeal a fucking mess. I lost it when after all the ridiculousness, they got to the pirate ship part. Just summarized the whole thing perfectly.

About 3/4 of the way through I was just thinking the guy got in over his head and it snowballed with him trying to cover his loans with bigger and bigger ones. But by the end it was pretty clear he was just a serial fraudster.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I watched the Hulu one. It seems to imply that the FuckJerry social media company made the Netflix one? Makes me tempted to watch it too.

I only vaguely remember the Fyre festival shit when it happened, but wow was that whole ordeal a fucking mess. I lost it when after all the ridiculousness, they got to the pirate ship part. Just summarized the whole thing perfectly.

About 3/4 of the way through I was just thinking the guy got in over his head and it snowballed with him trying to cover his loans with bigger and bigger ones. But by the end it was pretty clear he was just a serial fraudster.
yeah, just getting to the netflix one now.

I was initially thinking "this sounds like every single entrepreneur, or "keep trying, never let losing get you down"! bullshit. Every time you hear someone insist the key to success is never give up, or take chances, etc. which just totally ignores people who try, and fail, and are just ruined by it.
But yeah, by the end, when the reveal the full on investment fraud for the capital they did have. And, the inexplicable, event booking scam, which he intentionally filmed himself doing for some fucking reason?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Ted Bundy documentary was pretty interesting... So .. unbelievable.....

Yeah it was alright. Bundy was a legit sociopath, I absolutely believe he killed Ann-Marie Burr when he was 14. He always denied it but he was a true sociopath and I think he was ashamed because she was very local to him and only 8 years old and he almost certainly raped her - she's never been found.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
On the Australian based Stan streaming service. For those outside Aus, if you're a fan of the band, perhaps try and find a stream of it. It's good.

Midnight Oil 1984

Midnight Oil: 1984 (2018) - IMDb

There's some blurb about the footage was shot and left untouched for 30 years. It's all been well restored and looks fantastic. It shows them as a hard working and touring band, with a bunch of their live performances ( Oh yeah and the audio is really good ) and is set during a very interesting period when Peter Garret was making an early run for the Federal senate. Coupled with them in the current year being interviewed and looking back at that time.

I myself, saw them twice, a few years after this period and this doco was a great reminder of just how awesome a live act they were / are.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
And, the inexplicable, event booking scam, which he intentionally filmed himself doing for some fucking reason?

Yeah why the fuck did they film all this shit? It's all the incriminating evidence you need.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just watched The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (2019) - IMDb

I loved his comedy growing up (and it still holds up today), and Hulu kept showing it as the first thing that came up. Holy fuck what a disappointment though. It's basically a documentary about how there was another documentary about The Amazing Johnathan. What a fucking colossal waste of my time. It'd be like if one of the two Fyre festival documentaries was all about how much it sucked that someone else was making one, and oh yeah, here's a bunch of stuff about the director's life that no one fucking cares about.

And this is the 2nd time I've been burned by one of these dog shit documentaries that sounds neat but then just becomes a documentary about the director. The first was Generation Wealth (2018) - IMDb which touted itself as an interesting look into the lives of rich people, but instead just seemed like a plug for the director's book.

I think we've passed peak saturation of documentaries. They're now just doing them about themselves under the guise of something else.

Edit: Yeah, fuck that documentary. Here's the one they actually show in the first one (seriously, he flies out to Vancouver for the film show, pays an actor to confront them during their Q&A, and looks like an asshole). It's...an actual documentary. That other thing is an abomination.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
By Grabthar's hammer, what a documentary
The documentary features the film’s stars, including Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver, Justin Long, Sam Rockwell, Tony Shalhoub, Missi Pyle, Rainn Wilson and Daryl “Chill” Mitchell, along with director Dean Parisot, writer Robert Gordon, and a legion of celebrity fans sharing their reminiscences and appreciation for this beloved film. Among the celebrities who appear in “Never Surrender: A Galaxy Quest Documentary” are Wil Wheaton, Brent Spiner, Greg Berlanti, Damon Lindelof and more than a dozen other notable filmmakers, craftspeople and entertainment-industry observers who offer keen insight into the ways, both big and small, that “Galaxy Quest” has had lasting impact and developed a fan base that extends around the world.

Nov 26th in theaters via fathom events, only shitty theaters around me showing it so will wait for home watch hopefully comes out on VOD soon after

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy
James May's Our Man in Japan on Amazon Prime is pretty good, if you like travel programmes. It's a series of 6 40 min episodes but doesn't really warrant its own thread so dumping it here.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought this had its own thread at some point but can't find it... the guy that did The Smash Bros documentary is releasing a follow up documentary on Smash Brothers this weekend via twitch.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Watched Class Action Park a couple of weeks ago. Was pretty interesting as I've read a fair bit about dodgy amusement parks over the years. Had some footage from the 90s of Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell visiting and Staley looks reasonably healthy at the time. Can't believe the place went on as long as it did, the owner did loads of dodgy shit to avoid lawsuits. Made me think about my own childhood in the 70s and 80s, how much time we spent outside fucking around and weren't wrapped in cotton wool.

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Watched Class Action Park a couple of weeks ago. Was pretty interesting as I've read a fair bit about dodgy amusement parks over the years. Had some footage from the 90s of Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell visiting and Staley looks reasonably healthy at the time. Can't believe the place went on as long as it did, the owner did loads of dodgy shit to avoid lawsuits. Made me think about my own childhood in the 70s and 80s, how much time we spent outside fucking around and weren't wrapped in cotton wool.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm watching this right now. Fucking crazy shit!!!

• 1Like

Jive Turkey

Karen
Watched this one last night. The film makers hit on the exact tone they needed to for the story. I thought it was great. Definitely not an easy watch; it's anxiety inducing throughout the run time. But a really great and unique doc

• 1Like

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream

I've been to action park a few times. My buddy blew his eardrum out doing the rope swing. Fun place, but dangerous. I used to go skiing there (Great Gorge/Vernon Valley) with Boy Scouts. It was the same park as Action Park. The East Coast is popular for water parks during the summer and skiing during winter.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Watched this one last night. The film makers hit on the exact tone they needed to for the story. I thought it was great. Definitely not an easy watch; it's anxiety inducing throughout the run time. But a really great and unique doc

Saw this a while ago, it was very good. Miracle he got out alive - holy shit.