The E-cig Thread

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
With how many places ban cigs in Michigan it might as well be a ban as far as my life is concerned. I hear some states are even banning putting cigs in plain view on their shelves.

And the more ostracized cigarettes are the less couth it is for people to smoke in legal areas around other people. A few years ago walking through the valley of smokers on the way to somewhere wouldn't be a big deal, now one guy puffing a cig outside a restaurant gets dirty looks from people.
It's amazing that in my life time I can remember people walking in malls smoking to now where if people even see you smoke you are dirty.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
With how many places ban cigs in Michigan it might as well be a ban as far as my life is concerned. I hear some states are even banning putting cigs in plain view on their shelves.

And the more ostracized cigarettes are the less couth it is for people to smoke in legal areas around other people. A few years ago walking through the valley of smokers on the way to somewhere wouldn't be a big deal, now one guy puffing a cig outside a restaurant gets dirty looks from people.
The city I live in passed an ordinance that not only bans smoking inside restaurants, but also outside restaurants and buildings as well as the sidewalks downtown and city parks/facilities. I work in a hospital and they had banned employees from smoking but this year they also banned smoking for visitors and patients. And now they test employees for nicotine use if you have health ins through them.
Anyway...
I do have a question for the e-cig users bc I married a smoker and I wanted him to switch to e-cigs. Mostly b/c I hate the smell of cigarettes. Not gonna get into a health debate.
My sister sent him a Blu starter pack. But his complaint is... Not sure how to word this. You know how when you smoke a traditional cig, you feel the smoke hit in your throat/lungs? Well he doesn't get that with the Blu. I honestly thought there'd be a vapor cloud or something similar to smoke. But it's like sucking air through a straw.
So my question is, are all e-cigs like that? Do any of them make you feel like you're smoking? I don't understand b/c I've talked to so many smokers who have switched over with no issues. Maybe he didn't set it up right or something? Or you guys think it's just psychological?

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
From what I heard Blu's are pretty shitty, anything you can get at a convenient store is going to be like that. You can get a better throat hit and spend less getting some sort of other brand. I would prolly recommend him getting a ego-c twist, relatively cheap if you order it online. Higher nicotine I believe will get you that throat hit, i use 24mg. There are a ton of stores online, but i use myfreedomsmokes

Just the battery:
Joyetech eGo-C Twist Variable Voltage 1000mAh Battery - MyFreedomSmokes.com
You will need a charger, juice, atomizer/tank system, and optional drip tip if you don't get a tank and just get a atomizer (I direct drip)

Or full kit w/ 2 batteries, 2 clearomizers, charger, carrying case.
eGo-C Twist VV w/ CE5 eGo Clearomizer Starter Kit - MyFreedomSmokes.com

I prefer to mix and match on mine and not buy kits.

I would also recommend to look for stores locally to test these products, even if you don't buy. They generally have higher prices but will let you try out different mods, atomizers, juices. Here in Austin there is an explosion of stores, maybe 5-6 now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The problem is that you wont get anyone to convert until they at least want totryand quit. No, the throat hit and feel are just not the same as a RL cig.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On another note I had a mishap the other week and dropped my mod. I was getting out of the car and had it, along with some other shit, in my hand and it slipped out and dropped on the ground shattering my protank. I was fucking bummed. But ordered a new protank2 and now im happy again.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Ahhhh that sounds confusing heh... Ok thanks for the info. And yea, no, he doesn't want to quit. I'm just tired of stinky burning tobacco smell... and don't tell izo but it just makes sense to think that vaping would be a tiny bit healthier than sucking in burning paper/tobacco/whatever else is in cigarettes...

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Ahhhh that sounds confusing heh... Ok thanks for the info. And yea, no, he doesn't want to quit. I'm just tired of stinky burning tobacco smell... and don't tell izo but it just makes sense to think that vaping would be a tiny bit healthier than sucking in burning paper/tobacco/whatever else is in cigarettes...
It's cool you're trying to make a health change for your significant other - and indirectly yourself and your children(?). More power to you
smile.png

I do wonder why that same 'sense' doesn't tell you existing smoking cessation aids are a smarter approach to a better health - quitting smoking. Things like controlled dosage, no added uptake mechanism, no spill risks, proven efficacy, long term double blinded studies of adverse effects, no 2nd hand exposure or risks - you know, science - matters. But sure, let's discard all that for whatever 'makes sense'. Cognitive dissonance, I say.

So, have at it - and get back to us with news. Always interested in anecdotes. How's that for jaded?
smile.png

Neki

Molten Core Raider
On another note I had a mishap the other week and dropped my mod. I was getting out of the car and had it, along with some other shit, in my hand and it slipped out and dropped on the ground shattering my protank. I was fucking bummed. But ordered a new protank2 and now im happy again.
How is the Protank 2? I'm using the Vivi Nova at the moment since it is so easy to rebuild but want to try something new. Never tried a bottom coil tank yet so far.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The protank series is easily the best that I have tried. I love them and when I broke my protank 1 and I had to go back to my other tanks, it sucked in comparison. IMO they are the best. And now with the protank 2, If I do drop it and break the glass, I can just buy a replacement glass instead if trashing the entire thing like I had to do. Not that its expensive to do so anyway, its like $18 for a protank 2 kit.

The protank coils can be rebuilt as well, I have seen videos on youtube on how to do it, but I dont bother. The coils last me a good few months each and they are like $1.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
The coils last me a good few months each and they are like $1.
A good few months? Lol, I take it you are washing them in the meanwhile. I've heard you supposed to recoil/replace the atomiser after every 2-3 weeks to keep optimal performance.

The Vivi Nova is good but because it is a top coil tank, it gets annoying to keep the wicks wet when running low on juice. I have to clean the wicks out and give it a dry burn probably every couple of weeks to keep good vape.

Sold me on the Protank 2, brought one and is on the way in the post!

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
It's cool you're trying to make a health change for your significant other - and indirectly yourself and your children(?). More power to you
smile.png

I do wonder why that same 'sense' doesn't tell you existing smoking cessation aids are a smarter approach to a better health - quitting smoking. Things like controlled dosage, no added uptake mechanism, no spill risks, proven efficacy, long term double blinded studies of adverse effects, no 2nd hand exposure or risks - you know, science - matters. But sure, let's discard all that for whatever 'makes sense'. Cognitive dissonance, I say.

So, have at it - and get back to us with news. Always interested in anecdotes. How's that for jaded?
smile.png
Because he doesn't WANT to quit, Izo. I just want something less stinky. If it ends up being healthier, great, if not, oh well, it's no worse than what he's doing now.
If you're gonna get cancer, you're gonna get cancer. My first hubz never did drugs, smoked, or anything of the sort. yet I watched him whither and die as a result of chondrosarcoma around his spine. And every time I changed his diaper or cleaned his bedsores and he would ask me why this was happening to him, I couldn't even say "well you really shouldn't have _____ all those years" b/c there was no reason. It just happened.

I don't understand YOUR contempt in what other people believe or do. What's it to you if people want to vape. You sit there smugly mocking people's choices as if somehow you have all the answers.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
Don't take the bait, TragedyAnn
smile.png

Blu's are generally considered starter e-cigs. A good e-cig should produce a good throat hit and vapour. You could look into the next level of e-cigs such as what antha124 linked to control the voltage of your ecig to get better vapour/throat hit from your e-liquid.

I instantly brought a Provari (which is most probably the best e-cig mod on the market now) when I decided that I would replace smoking cigarettes with e-cigs after the first couple of weeks. The Provari is pretty expensive but you do get what you pay for which is excellent quality and durability. I no longer smoke analog cigarettes and working myself down the nicotine scale on my e-juice to eventually 0 (I am on 6mg per ml at the moment when I started with 18mg). I feel much better healthwise and can no longer stand the smell of normal cigarette smoke.

May I ask how many cigarettes did your husband used to smoke daily? If he was a pretty heavy smoker then the nicotine level in his blu cigs might not be high enough to compensate the change from analogs hence the lack of throat hit.

Here is a rough chart:

0mg/ml NicotineThis means that there is no nicotine in your E-Liquid mixture. Zero nicotine levels are usually used by people who have quit smoking and are no longer dependant on nicotine but would like to enjoy vaping the different flavours of E-Liquid out there.

6mg/ml NicotineThis level of nicotine is of a very light level. For people who wish to enjoy the smallest possible nicotine level while still enjoying a full E-liquid taste. This is commonly the last level in "stepping."

12mg/ml NicotineOn the lower end of the spectrum, 12mg/ml is a comfortable level for people who prefer nicotine, but aren't heavy vapers. This level is also common for people who used to smoke light cigarettes.

18mg/ml NicotineThis is the middle of the road in terms of nicotine. Most vapers who were former smokers enjoy this level because it delivers the perfect amount of nicotine in each vape.

24mg/ml NicotineThis is on the high side of nicotine levels and is commonly preferred by people who were formally heavy smokers (about a pack per day). It has a noticeable nicotine level that many former smokers enjoy.

36mg/ml NicotineThis is the highest concentration of nicotine. People who prefer this level are usually former smokers with a serious addiction, usually meaning more than two packs per day.

You can buy 10ml taster bottles of e-liquids from many sites offering these ranges of nicotine to see which one your husband is comfortable with.

Feel free to ask any questions here as we former analog smokers and current vapers will be more than glad to help. Just ignore the troll bait
smile.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
TragedyAnn_sl said:
If you're gonna get cancer, you're gonna get cancer.
That's just plain wrong. Yes, some people will develop cancer even though they didn't have a lot of risk factors. Unfortunately they were just genetically hardwired to get it at some point, and there's probably a family history of it. But there's plenty of things that both increase your chance of getting various forms of cancer (smoking, obesity, radiation, red meat consumption, various forms of pollution, so on) and/or decrease your ability to survive it. If you honestly think that smoking doesn't significantly increase mortality and shorten lifespan, you're a fucking moron. That sucks that your first husband appeared to have extremely shitty luck or bad genes, but don't let that blind you to reason.

That being said, I don't really give a fuck if you want to vape. It's probably not as bad for you as smoking, so it's at least a step in the right direction.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Don't take the bait, TragedyAnn
smile.png

Blu's are generally considered starter e-cigs. A good e-cig should produce a good throat hit and vapour. You could look into the next level of e-cigs such as what antha124 linked to control the voltage of your ecig to get better vapour/throat hit from your e-liquid.

I instantly brought a Provari (which is most probably the best e-cig mod on the market now) when I decided that I would replace smoking cigarettes with e-cigs after the first couple of weeks. The Provari is pretty expensive but you do get what you pay for which is excellent quality and durability. I no longer smoke analog cigarettes and working myself down the nicotine scale on my e-juice to eventually 0 (I am on 6mg per ml at the moment when I started with 18mg). I feel much better healthwise and can no longer stand the smell of normal cigarette smoke.

May I ask how many cigarettes did your husband used to smoke daily? If he was a pretty heavy smoker then the nicotine level in his blu cigs might not be high enough to compensate the change from analogs hence the lack of throat hit.

Feel free to ask any questions here as we former analog smokers and current vapers will be more than glad to help. Just ignore the troll bait
smile.png
Great. Thanks for the info. Yea, he is smoking close to two packs a day, I'd guess. So yea that probably explains why the blu's didn't cut it. I'll check out the provari and the other stuff people have recommended. There's a big vaping store in town that lets you try stuff so I guess I need to take him there...

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Because he doesn't WANT to quit, Izo. I just want something less stinky. If it ends up being healthier, great, if not, oh well, it's no worse than what he's doing now.
If you're gonna get cancer, you're gonna get cancer. My first hubz never did drugs, smoked, or anything of the sort. yet I watched him whither and die as a result of chondrosarcoma around his spine. And every time I changed his diaper or cleaned his bedsores and he would ask me why this was happening to him, I couldn't even say "well you really shouldn't have _____ all those years" b/c there was no reason. It just happened.

I don't understand YOUR contempt in what other people believe or do. What's it to you if people want to vape. You sit there smugly mocking people's choices as if somehow you have all the answers.
Hi again, Tragedy.
As said above, I applaud you for trying to make a health change. Or at least a change away from cigarettes in your household. That's a real plus, if not for you, then for your children on many levels. There are, however, other methods, both safer and with proven efficacy if the goal is improving health.

I do respect and admire those, you, who take care of their fellow humans in need. It does, however, pain me to point out that your notion about the etiology, risks, prophylaxis and general workings of cancer is flat out wrong. Experiencing cancer on a caretaker level does not make you an expert in oncology.

As far as smugness go, I wish you wouldn't put emphasis on working at a hospital while at the same time totally disregarding medicine. Same goes for using your dead husband to generalize over cancer. That's not how science works. As for what people chose to do with their body I direct you to the title of the thread " E-cigarettes, vaping your way to quitting...". Whether anyone chooses to be dishonest about the later part, the quitting, is entirely on them, not me, no matter how unpopular my opinion on the matter is.

You're welcome to poke at me - "don't tell izo but it just makes sense" - any time or send me a pm if you so desire.

TragedyAnn_sl

shitlord
Oh hi Izo, my love. I said "don't tell Izo", in jest knowing you'd see it. I just didn't realize you had no sense of humor. I apologize. I got sucked in cuz I think it's funny you assume you're smarter and better educated than folks here, throwing around your big words. I can't help but be amused by your big words! You live out of books and I experience life. We won't see eye to eye. that's OK!

BUT. I'm not here to debate your so-called science.
I just wanted some info on vaping/e-cigs.
I let you derail me. Kudos.
I apologize to the other posters.
/courtesy

Oh but please keep the negs coming. It makes me feel a bit of a badass!! ^__^
(ahhh sorry! I couldn't resist!!)

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
God Izo, can't believe you're still doing this. Getting to the point where I'm fairly sure you're trolling, nobody could be oblivious enough to act like such a sanctimonious asshole for so long somewhere where people so clearly want them to piss off. Unless, have you ever been diagnosed with aspergers, or some kind of high functioning autism disorder?

ygvt.jpg

Anyway, here's a dose of irony for you. Despite absolutely no intention of doing so, my e-cig seems to have lead to me quitting after all (at least for the time being). I've been adjusting the nicotine level of the juice down over the last month or two, just because I prefer the effect of lighter, more constant redosing, but the atomizers, which have been giving me trouble for a while, both finally gave out last week. I managed to get a few sputtering drags out of it here and there for a few days, then chewed some leftover nicotine gum once or twice, then woke up and realized that other than feeling a little more fatigued and foggy than usual, I don't really feel like any nicotine.

I've been meaning to order a new atomizer for a month or so, but I've kept putting it off due to laziness/not wanting to spend the money, and now I honestly don't give much of a crap. I'll probably end up smoking again next time I go out and get drunk, but in the meantime it's interesting how much easier quitting the e-cig was.