The E3 2021 Thread

Randin

Trakanon Raider
It's that time of year again, boys and girls; E3's nearly upon us. And this year, fucking everybody is doing something (well, except Sony). Here's the schedule (all times Pacific):

June 10
11 am: Summer Games Fest

June 11
1 pm: IGN Expo

June 12
8 am: Guerrilla Collective
12 pm: Ubisoft
1:30 pm: Devolver Digital
2 pm: Gearbox
2:45 pm: GamesBeat

June 13
9:30 am: 24 Entertainment
10 am: Xbox and Bethesda
12:15 pm: Square Enix
2 pm: Warner Bros
2:30 pm: PC Gaming
4 pm: Future Gaming

June 14
9 am: Verizon
9:45 am: Intellivison
10:15 am: Take-Two
11:10 am: Mythical Games
12 pm: Indie Showcase
12:30 pm: Freedom Games
1 pm: VENN
2:30 pm: Capcom
3 pm: Razer

June 15
9 am: Nintendo
2:25 pm: Bandai Namco
3:30 pm: Yooreka Studio
3:35 pm: GameSpot Showcase

Rumor has it that Bethesda's going to be showing off Starfield this year, and I'm fascinated to see what that's going to look like. Not so much because I care about Starfield, but a.) because it'll be indicative of what Elder Scrolls 6 will look like, and b.) because it'll be fun to watch Bethesda try to dig themselves out of the Fallout 76 hole.

Last edited:
  • 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I saw this thread and thought about why I don't really care all that much about E3 2021.

I feel like over the last ~5 years I've gotten so jaded by the same AAA games being done over and over it's hard to get interested in another round of the same game I've seen before. I couldn't get through Witcher 3 and got an hour into Breath of the Wild just because they are the same incredible open world game I've played literally dozens of time before, them being better just isn't enough. I didn't even bother getting Cyberpunk.

Sure, I'll probably buy and play Starfield. It's probably going to be great game made by hundreds of people over years. But I can't help but feel I'll put fewer hours into it than I put into the current game I'm playing, Starsector, which was done by like, one guy and a few others helping him, just because it's different enough to be engaging.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Hm wasn't sure if to place this in the div2 thread or here since it's still a rumor, but since they mention e3 on the bottom...
Ubi rumored to making an overwatch wannabe with their 3 big tom clancy franchises...

That sounds like what I was expecting The Division Heartland to be

Randin

Trakanon Raider
There's also been a couple rumors floating around about some new Marvel games happening. Apparently the XCom devs are working on a Marvel turn-based strategy/tactics game, of all things. There have also been rumors for years that Eidos Montreal was working on a Guardians of the Galaxy game; there's been a resurgence in that rumor recently, suggesting that an announcement might be eminent--It'll be interesting to see how much the Avengers game has poisoned that particular well for them.

Really wish more super hero properties could just get quality single-player games in vein of Arkham and Spider-Man PS4, but no sign that that's actually to be. But who knows? Maybe the GotG game won't be the multiplayer-focused GaaS game that I'm expecting at this point.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So this is the Borderlands spinoff with Tina, Wonderland, and the 2k game is the Marvel XCom game.

Or we expecting anything else from those two?
Not sure the tweet was meant to say both studios were going to announce separate games, I read it to mean Gearbox & 2k would announce a new game together.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Apparently the XCom devs are working on a Marvel turn-based strategy/tactics game, of all things.
I don't know whether to be excited about this, or to REEEEE that they aren't working on Firaxcom: Terror from the Threep

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I vaguely remember caring about E3.

The current state of console / GPU supply won't help it.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Personally, I just want to know what everyone's up to.

Even before Covid, the realities of modern AAA game production were getting to everyone, with Ass Creed no longer yearly and Modern Warfare cutting entire game modes out of some of their yearly releases.

I don't expect much, possibly literally nothing, from Sony, because what could there be? Nearly all of their studios are either so deep in production (Horizon, God of War, Gran Turismo) or have just finished a game (Last of Us, Ghosts of Tsushima) that what _could_ they even show. Off the top of my head, the only team that maybe could have started their next project enough to show would be the Days Gone people (Bend), and that ain't enough to support a presentation that isn't some musician bouncing between theaters.

Nintendo will win all the press awards, of course, with the Zelda, Mario, and Kart teams having more than enough to show for a presentation. Honestly, if that has become Nintendo's plan - line up the Zelda and Mario teams so they always have something new when they launch new consoles/ half-steps every ~three years - it's a pretty good one.

Ubisoft will be interesting to see if they have ever escaped from their development hell. In the last four or five years, they've put out, what, a Far Cry or two, an Ass Creed or two, Watchdogs Legion, and a smattering of Games as Services (For Honor)? Will any of their weird side projects ever come out?

Warner Bros is even worse. Have they put out anything that wasn't by the Mortal Kombat guys in that time frame? Will anyone _care_ about another Batman game after all this time unless it does something interesting?

Which leaves Microsoft - or more accurately, Microsoft and their acquisitions. Starfield is the game I am most interested in, but its been in development for so long that Budget Starfield (Outer Worlds) was developed, released, and forgotten in that time frame. Sure, I'll play Psychonauts 2, but that's also been in development since the Nixon administration. Just what sort of budget will Bethesda's games get when half the market won't be able to purchase them?

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
E3's official channels put out an updated schedule, so I've filled in those TBDs and added some of the other listed shows to the OP. I expect exactly nothing compelling from things like Verizon or Razer, and I have no clue who the hell some of these other developers/publishers/whatever are, but if E3 wants to include them in their official schedule, then fuck it, I'll include them here.

spronk

FPS noob
Doritos Pope has his own thing going on around this time, I wonder where more game announcements will come from - his show or E3

Cybsled

Marvel based Xcom? Awesome, I can't wait to miss Thanos with a 98% hit chance

Starfield will be interesting to be sure. They pulled one of the FO76 teams to support Starfield development, which has slowed content release for FO76

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I want to see more about Starfield since we know basically nothing but they've become such a shit company at this point I have little faith. If all they show is a shiny trailer with no info it will do little to curb the idea they are just a shit producing company using the former glory to sell yet more shit

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
i think battlefield 6 is being announced tomorrow and rumors are that its gonna be Battlefield 2042