The Earthquake and Tsunami Thread. AKA Kiss Your Ass Goodbye

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Was hanging out in Santa Monica. The first earthquake I've felt since living here. People were freaking out and getting off the top level we were at. I just looked around like a dumbass and thought it was cool.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Was hanging out in Santa Monica. The first earthquake I've felt since living here. People were freaking out and getting off the top level we were at. I just looked around like a dumbass and thought it was cool.

Its all fun and games till the freeways fall down again. CA spent 100s of millions wrapping them in carbon fiber and epoxy band aiding them back together after the last really big one.

Earthquakes+damage.jpg

Northridge-Quake-Image-4-1000x502.png

main_900.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

vGrade

Potato del Grande
My dick is so hard rn. I've been waiting 38 years for that shit hole state to fall in the ocean. It's finally happening!!!!!!!!

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

I've never really been in an earthquake, barely felt a single shake in Oregon from a quake that happened in Seattle or near to it. Interesting to me the players didn't feel it and were just going about there business.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Got maybe 4 hours of sleep last night.

There was a stretch around 2am where it just kept rumbling for like 10 or 15 minutes. Shit is whack.

My wife is too scared to be in the house anymore. She's planning on just hanging out in the backyard, but it's going to be around 102 today. Luckily this summer has been super mild. Generally we get into the 110's in July.

• 2Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 2 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Got maybe 4 hours of sleep last night.

There was a stretch around 2am where it just kept rumbling for like 10 or 15 minutes. Shit is whack.

My wife is too scared to be in the house anymore. She's planning on just hanging out in the backyard, but it's going to be around 102 today. Luckily this summer has been super mild. Generally we get into the 110's in July.

Tell your wife that CA buildings codes have been pretty nuts about seismic for a long time, its the one thing they get right. It's not like Christchurch NZ or Port Au Prince Haiti were buildings literally folded like lawn chairs. Only place you might be safer in a building during quakes is Tokyo.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They say not to run outside during an earthquake, but all of the big ones we have (5.5+ or so).

I don't know how to describe being right on top of an earthquake that big, but being inside just doesn't feel safe. Shit, being outside feels pretty bizarre too.

I also wanted to point out, we've had almost no damage to our house. The 6.4 we had a picture frame fall off our mantle, but the ones on the walls (with hooks) were all fine. With the 7.1 we had assorted items all over the house fall down, but it took like 20 minutes to pick everything up by myself (wife waited outside).

Checked for cracks in the house and it looks fine. No gas leaks, no water leaks. Power was off 5 hours with the 6.4, about 5 minutes with the 7.1 Internet never went out (outside of power outage), cell service never went out, water never shut off.

Outside of our nerves, it's almost like the earthquakes never happened. Well, that and the constant aftershocks. I think I read something that said this amount of aftershocks is incredibly abnormal.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Biggest thing is knowing where the load bearing and shear walls in your house, they arent going to wiggle. Anything near a staircase is usually over built as fuck.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
If you've got trees in the yard I think i'd trust them less than a doorframe.

If it's just a field though, it's not like there's anything to fall on you.

Only ever been through one small earthquake. Shit was weird. I thought it was either a passing semi-truck (on a residential street and I was wtf) or one of those giant cargo planes flying too low. It was just a low rumble that went on for a minute or two. Didn't even know it was an earthquake until later that day when people were like "did you feel that earthquake!!".

Oh, that's what that wierdness was.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Too lazy to look it up, but i think the ' don't go outside' is as more about falling and getting injured while trying to run out, especially while carrying kids/pets/etc

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I thought you didn't go outside because the earth was going to open up and eat you!

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Too lazy to look it up, but i think the ' don't go outside' is as more about falling and getting injured while trying to run out, especially while carrying kids/pets/etc
Yeah.

I told my wife it's probably the same with why they told us not to turn our gas back on if we turn it off ourselves. Someone will screw it up and blow up their house.

I plan on running outside if there's another big one.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah.

I told my wife it's probably the same with why they told us not to turn our gas back on if we turn it off ourselves. Someone will screw it up and blow up their house.

I plan on running outside if there's another big one.
actually no, this is the reason why (i remember watching this a few weeks ago, don't ask me why)

• 2Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm old. Natural gas is valuable now. I remember when you would go fishing and the offshore rigs (and some onshore) would just flare off the natural gas because it wasn't worth recovering. There's a little nothing near where I used to live in East, TX. By nothing it's nothing other than a historical marker telling about the natural gas explosion that killed 300ish kids at a school in the 1930's. Leading to the additive now so you can smell it.

I did read about the quake in CA earlier they said in places they had a 18 foot shift. Sounds pretty big but who knows.

I've always had natural gas. I've had good luck with it. Even during multiple hurricanes like Katrina and smaller ones where the power went out for more than a week still got natural gas. I've always had the gas company go door to door and relight the pilot lights for heaters, hot water heater and such everytime they had to turn off the gas for any amount of time. It doesn't take them long to light the stuff and just go door to door quickly.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
One of my coworkers sent me a link to this DutchSinse guy (he's on YouTube and Twitch under that name).

He's been saying the USGS is full of shit and that earthquakes on the other side of the planet absolutely flow to other areas (basically force on a plate in one area will transfer to other areas of the plate).

As such, he's expecting a 7.5 here (or close by), unless we start seeing 4's and 5's start spreading out towards Oklahoma and Texas. Otherwise the energy just keeps building up until we get a big one.

So now it's, do I trust the USGS that this is basically over, or the internet guy whose science makes sense, and that we may get another large quake in the next 4 days?

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
So now it's, do I trust the USGS that this is basically over, or the internet guy whose science makes sense, and that we may get another large quake in the next 4 days?

this is easy

• 1Worf
  • 1Like