The Eating on a Budget Thread

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Lost over 40lbs in the last four months and saved hundreds of dollars by eating this for lunch and dinner most days.

Warning will make you shit.

Back in the day (of being young and poor and lazy) I would make big vats of lentil soup or mixed bean soup. So this cabbage soup has me interested. What about his claim about the body using up more calories digesting it than the soup is worth? Just BS or for real? I am worried about the gas though, I know even with bean or lentil soup the farting can get bad, does it eventually go away after a week or two of the cabbage soup?

I don't mind eating the same thing for a long while, my mind just gets in a rut for it and its actually easier for me to be on a set diet than try to come up with things each day to eat, on program. Doing keto now and going to try that a bit longer, but for the future , tell us more about this cabbage soup diet. Is it ALL you want of it for lunch/dinner? And what did you do for breakfast.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Back in the day (of being young and poor and lazy) I would make big vats of lentil soup or mixed bean soup. So this cabbage soup has me interested. What about his claim about the body using up more calories digesting it than the soup is worth? Just BS or for real? I am worried about the gas though, I know even with bean or lentil soup the farting can get bad, does it eventually go away after a week or two of the cabbage soup?

I don't mind eating the same thing for a long while, my mind just gets in a rut for it and its actually easier for me to be on a set diet than try to come up with things each day to eat, on program. Doing keto now and going to try that a bit longer, but for the future , tell us more about this cabbage soup diet. Is it ALL you want of it for lunch/dinner? And what did you do for breakfast.

It's BS I'd say, don't think any food actually makes you lose weight this is just an ultra low calorie food that is super dense it fills you up and is also cheap.

My gas wasn't that bad after a week or so but you will take giant shits.

Drink lots of water.

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Can confirm I waste a TON of food weekly, simply because I cook too much. My daughter wants this, my son wants that...My mother acts like she needs a personal chef. Lots of leftovers wasted because no one will eat it. I KNOW. I need to not cook shit until they eat the leftovers, but I feel like shit when I don't cook for the family.
My wife thinks she has a right to new meals everyday. So much food waste. She also buys fresh veggies constantly in large amounts and like 40-50% of it gets tossed. Feels bad man.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My wife thinks she has a right to new meals everyday. So much food waste. She also buys fresh veggies constantly in large amounts and like 40-50% of it gets tossed. Feels bad man.

Dude...If veggies weren't so cheap I'd fuckin be ripping at the family daily.

I ripped last night though. I made rigatoni and meatballs last night with some mixed veggies in a bag. No one ate it minus my "niece". They all had excuses from the shape to the texture...My mothers excuse was we had pasta earlier in the week!

Might be time to only cook for me. Get everyone TV dinners.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Cooking for non-elderly adults is great. Cooking for anyone else is really just asking to be disappointed when old people don't want to vary from their diet and kids refuse to try anything new.

Feels bad, man.

I'm single so I do what I want, but it is always a bummer when I invite people over and there's always 1-2 people who randomly developed a new allergy or food dislike between when I told them what I was making/asked if they needed something different, and when they show up. Like goddamn clockwork.

I've since just adopted the "Hey if you don't like it, don't come." mentality. Much happier~

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's no wonder that so many poor families resort to eating shitty, processed, pre-packaged foods because around here cooking for yourself is not the cheaper option.
Not sure if satire of if you just dont know how to shop.

If you want to eat cheap and decently you just cant buy whatever you want to. You need to read your local grocery store ads and see what they have on sell. Sometimes bellpepers are $1 per, sometimes they are 3 for a $1. Sometimes brocolli is $.50 a pound, other times its $2 per pound. If you just waltz into a store and buy whatever youre gonna spend a lot of money.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea Big P. Grocery shopping is the same in every part of the country. Beef prices are the same in Montana as they are in Connecticut. Vegetables are always fresh, plump and juicy.

Did you read the rest of my post? One of my biggest complaints was how terrible the produce sections are at my local grocery stores. I don't really care if Broccoli is on sale if it's brown.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Not sure if satire of if you just dont know how to shop.

If you want to eat cheap and decently you just cant buy whatever you want to. You need to read your local grocery store ads and see what they have on sell. Sometimes bellpepers are $1 per, sometimes they are 3 for a $1. Sometimes brocolli is $.50 a pound, other times its $2 per pound. If you just waltz into a store and buy whatever youre gonna spend a lot of money.
You live in AZ where its real estate is cheap and its strip mall hell.

Ive noticed what khanes talking about, out in OR veggies were cheap and fresh but moving out to Philly and a poor part of it as well, the produce selection sucks half the shit is rotting or damaged. Im on a bike and get around a bit but it would be a pain in the ass if I had to use public transport.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Someone can buy most produce cheaply if one spends time finding deals at different locations. Finding the deals and traveling around to buy all the shit at different stores isn't worth the time of anyone whose time is worth measuring in dollars.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
You live in AZ where its real estate is cheap and its strip mall hell.

Ive noticed what khanes talking about, out in OR veggies were cheap and fresh but moving out to Philly and a poor part of it as well, the produce selection sucks half the shit is rotting or damaged. Im on a bike and get around a bit but it would be a pain in the ass if I had to use public transport.

Bro, Italian market

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yeah. But stores all over the country still run ads with whats on sale that week. My numbers where just an example.

I don't seem to be able to impress upon you that rotten produce is not worth buying, whether it's on sale or not. If you live close to the source of something it generally tends to be both fresher AND cheaper. If you live in a major metropolitan area things like produce tend to be much lower in quality and more expensive. McDonald's costs pretty much the same no matter where you are in the country. And in major metropolitan areas it starts to become a cost effective alternative if you can't find decent ingredients for some people, sadly.

Which is why I also talked about home gardening, though that is not an option for a lot of people, especially in major metropolitan areas. I also just really like to gripe about my local produce selections, they are terrible and expensive and it pisses me off.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Which is why I also talked about home gardening, though that is not an option for a lot of people, especially in major metropolitan areas.

So I have many friends who live in major city centres. Toronto, Chicago, Montreal, Los Angeles, blah blah blah. Every one of them who is interested in home garden has found a Unity Garden or similar at a church, mosque, or community centre. It's free in most cases, too. Now if everyone in the city wanted to do this, they'd all be hosed, but even in big cities you can find gardening possibilities.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Man you guys must live in areas closer to major agriculture because produce is not cheap here and it fucking sucks unless I actually go to Whole Foods. Can barely find a decent bell pepper at the local stop and shop. I bought a small bag of brussels sprouts last week that when I opened when I got home smelled rancid. It's no wonder that so many poor families resort to eating shitty, processed, pre-packaged foods because around here cooking for yourself is not the cheaper option.

I bought a small bag of brown rice, a can of black beans, one bulb of garlic, some scallions, one yellow onion, one green bell pepper, one red bell pepper, a can of chipotles packed in adobo, some shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortillas last week. It cost me $32. Granted I stretched that out into meals for 5 days but it's just me, one person, and that's rice and beans. I feel like $6/day, while not pricey in the grand scheme, is more expensive than it should be for that type of food and I think that's where home gardening comes in. A lot of that $32 was the veggies. They don't sell bell peppers by the pound here, they are usually between $1.50 and $2.99 each, depending on if they are the "European" varieties. 3 bucks for one bell pepper...
do you live in a desert or something? NJ is the Garden State, farms everywhere, but you probably have farms in most other states too. TX, NM, AZ, NV and UT might be SoL, but you should be able to find whatever local produce everywhere else.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I don't seem to be able to impress upon you that rotten produce is not worth buying, whether it's on sale or not. If you live close to the source of something it generally tends to be both fresher AND cheaper. If you live in a major metropolitan area things like produce tend to be much lower in quality and more expensive. McDonald's costs pretty much the same no matter where you are in the country. And in major metropolitan areas it starts to become a cost effective alternative if you can't find decent ingredients for some people, sadly.

Which is why I also talked about home gardening, though that is not an option for a lot of people, especially in major metropolitan areas. I also just really like to gripe about my local produce selections, they are terrible and expensive and it pisses me off.
i need a pic of how shit this veggie selection be to say you prefer whole foods for the quality. I'll admit every stalk of whole foods produce looks nice, and that adds to the cost, but out here... shit walmart broccoli is fresher than aldi (and thats cuz they have that spray n shit).

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Someone can buy most produce cheaply if one spends time finding deals at different locations. Finding the deals and traveling around to buy all the shit at different stores isn't worth the time of anyone whose time is worth measuring in dollars.
this is what you do to budget your time. find the furthest store where you're reasonably willing to go. then find all the food stores in between. then find their circulars. they should all be online. this week because of superbowl everyone has huge deals on meat, chicken, hot dogs, other stuff. go to to one store. for the majority of your shopping then work your way back according to deals you gotta have. did you guys know that Dollar Tree sells near expired Pepperidge Farm bread for a dollar? yeah, the stuff they sell in walmart for 4 bucks is just a dollar at DT. grab that. buy a lot. bring it home and put your rolls/bread in the freezer and then you dont have to worry about sammiches for months.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this is what you do to budget your time. find the furthest store where you're reasonably willing to go. then find all the food stores in between. then find their circulars. they should all be online. this week because of superbowl everyone has huge deals on meat, chicken, hot dogs, other stuff. go to to one store. for the majority of your shopping then work your way back according to deals you gotta have. did you guys know that Dollar Tree sells near expired Pepperidge Farm bread for a dollar? yeah, the stuff they sell in walmart for 4 bucks is just a dollar at DT. grab that. buy a lot. bring it home and put your rolls/bread in the freezer and then you dont have to worry about sammiches for months.
old ass bitch! who has the time for circulars n sheet? naw man download the app and you see the deals for the week! get wit da times wakandan

(but no seriously, i was swimming in circulars in jersey and pa and wherever, but i guess out here in redneck ville, circulars don't make enough money, so the only way to see the deals is to physically go in, but i use the app instead)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
99 Ranch is awesome, we got one in austin area recently. Its nice, better than MT Market which is over prices and smells liike octopus ass.

H Mart is supposed to be fantastic also. Too bad its way the fuck out in Cedar Park.