The Eating on a Budget Thread

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
This is a good point, I think I read something insane like 30 percent of food is just junked. I think unless you are super poor the biggest wastes are not using your left overs smartly like that and also going too cheap and making garbage food. I remember as a kid my mom would buy like the cheapest meats, never season them cause spices were expensive and then it all tasted awful. Then we would just go out to eat and spend 5x as much, it was so dumb and why I don't mind spending for decent ingredients now.

Can confirm I waste a TON of food weekly, simply because I cook too much. My daughter wants this, my son wants that...My mother acts like she needs a personal chef. Lots of leftovers wasted because no one will eat it. I KNOW. I need to not cook shit until they eat the leftovers, but I feel like shit when I don't cook for the family.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Can confirm I waste a TON of food weekly, simply because I cook too much. My daughter wants this, my son wants that...My mother acts like she needs a personal chef. Lots of leftovers wasted because no one will eat it. I KNOW. I need to not cook shit until they eat the leftovers, but I feel like shit when I don't cook for the family.
i try to work leftovers into my lunch. i figure as long as the meat isnt wasted, you can throw the pasta, rice and other stuff away.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Tried to go to Aldi's today. Saw a bunch of Puerto Ricans out front so I got the hell out of there. Will try again tomorrow.

Just made me some cheapo paste. Anyone have pasta sauce recs for premade sauces? Too lazy to make my own.

Thzx
Costco's Kirkland brand is pretty good, but not always in stock. Muir Glen also good but a bit pricier than the el cheapo brands. Can't recommend a cheap brand because I think they universally add a bunch of sugar and use soybean instead of olive oil.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
next day lunches, and if you have a dog, give them the meat and scrape off the sauces.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Every time I smoke a brisket or pork butt I cube up the left overs and freeze it and toss the meat into crock pots of black beans or cook it into my omelette.

Yup GF and I use leftover smoked pork loin in chili. It's is mind blowingly good. The smoke adds such a rich heartiness to a chili.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If you love beans and rice like I do get yourself a pressure cooker/instant pot, cuts bean making down from 8 hours to 45 mins. Make in bulk and meal prep, I have an endless mountain of premade burritos frozen for when I don't feel like cooking. We cook either Saturday or Sunday night for the week and eat the cooked food for lunches or dinner and fill in with whatever is frozen or the ramen above. Been doing this for the past 10 years or so.

Use Flipp app to shop local sales, pickup chicken/pork etc in family packs on sale, divide into cooking portions by wrapping in plastic wrap and then tin foil to freeze. Be sure and write what is inside and the date you wrapped it.
Recipie/process for doing beans and whatever else in an instant pot? I have the big one but not very creative with it's use so mainly do rice, pot roast, etc.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Recipie/process for doing beans and whatever else in an instant pot? I have the big one but not very creative with it's use so mainly do rice, pot roast, etc.

4-6 cups of water(can also do veggie or other broths) per pound of black beans, I usually do onion powder and a clove or two of garlic. Set for 55 mins and done.

But what I do is throw in a bunch of beans, enough water to be 1inch above the beans(but never more then over half full), season, set 55 mins, done.

Last edited:

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
Another big key in saving money without giving up to much flavor is knowing what and what not to buy fresh. I love mushrooms but a fresh 6 dollar box will go bad if you forget to cook them for 5 days and for 75 cents i can get the same amount out of a can that lasts forever.

I eat 5 or more omelettes a week and I have the cooking down to a science. What I love is you can do damn near any diet outside of Vegan eating omelettes. Once a week i cook a whole pan of goodies usually onion, bell pepper, jalapenos, fresh spinach, mushrooms and just nuke what I need that day for my omelette if The amount of calories I'm allowing myself determines how much cheese and meat I add if any. A good twist is to skip the meat and add black beans ( can is fine).

DrFukasaka

Lord Nagafen Raider
4-6 cups of water(can also do veggie or other broths) per pound of black beans, I usually do onion powder and a clove or two of garlic. Set for 55 mins and done.

But what I do is throw in a bunch of beans, enough water to be 1inch above the beans(but never more then over half full), season, set 55 mins, done.
I cook mine about the same but I usually add some cumin. I also skip the rice and add quinoa to the pot mid-cook its more costly and said to be more healthy but my real reason is it holds up to long cooking and reheating really well.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Kenji has some pretty awesome pressure cooker recipes. Maybe not all budget friendly but the ones I've had were very good.

Pressure Cooker Recipes

I've been pretty disappointed with the pot roast I've done in the pressure cooker. I think the slow cooker does a much better job albeit in a lot more time.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Lost over 40lbs in the last four months and saved hundreds of dollars by eating this for lunch and dinner most days.

Warning will make you shit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I did the cabbage soup diet years ago and even though I thought it tasted great on day 1 by the end of a week of eating multiple times a day I would have rather put a bullet through my head than lived on that shit for another week. If you kept it up for 4 months you're a better man than me.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anything you eat that much and that consistently is going to taste pretty shitty pretty quickly. Gotta mix that up!

Do a slightly "less" healthy version of minestrone soup and splice that in. Different enough you'll enjoy the switch, yet still low in overall caloric content (keep the pasta part low.)

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The pound soup I spiced up a little delicious but holy fucknthe gas all night and next day.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I did the cabbage soup diet years ago and even though I thought it tasted great on day 1 by the end of a week of eating multiple times a day I would have rather put a bullet through my head than lived on that shit for another week. If you kept it up for 4 months you're a better man than me.

Mon-fri for lunch and dinner ate normally on the weekends and had some work related cheat days.

It's not that bad if you make the broth spicy and it makes eating on the weekends amazing.

I had fucking chicken fingers last night and it was a feast.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The best grocery store is HEB, yall not in Texas just don't know about it.

HEB blows dick, Publix shits in their mouths, and twice on weekends.

gettyimages-910263376.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Man you guys must live in areas closer to major agriculture because produce is not cheap here and it fucking sucks unless I actually go to Whole Foods. Can barely find a decent bell pepper at the local stop and shop. I bought a small bag of brussels sprouts last week that when I opened when I got home smelled rancid. It's no wonder that so many poor families resort to eating shitty, processed, pre-packaged foods because around here cooking for yourself is not the cheaper option.

I bought a small bag of brown rice, a can of black beans, one bulb of garlic, some scallions, one yellow onion, one green bell pepper, one red bell pepper, a can of chipotles packed in adobo, some shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortillas last week. It cost me $32. Granted I stretched that out into meals for 5 days but it's just me, one person, and that's rice and beans. I feel like $6/day, while not pricey in the grand scheme, is more expensive than it should be for that type of food and I think that's where home gardening comes in. A lot of that $32 was the veggies. They don't sell bell peppers by the pound here, they are usually between $1.50 and $2.99 each, depending on if they are the "European" varieties. 3 bucks for one bell pepper...