The Eating on a Budget Thread

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
old ass bitch! who has the time for circulars n sheet? naw man download the app and you see the deals for the week! get wit da times wakandan

(but no seriously, i was swimming in circulars in jersey and pa and wherever, but i guess out here in redneck ville, circulars don't make enough money, so the only way to see the deals is to physically go in, but i use the app instead)
i am old! but i also said you can find the circulars online. i dont read through the paper circulars, i hardly ever get them sent here and i dont buy physical newspapers. google supermarkets in your area and see what their prices are, then just plan a loop based on the best deals.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
do you live in a desert or something? NJ is the Garden State, farms everywhere, but you probably have farms in most other states too. TX, NM, AZ, NV and UT might be SoL, but you should be able to find whatever local produce everywhere else.

I live in CT. There's no good explanation for why the produce sucks, it just does. Whole Foods has good produce, but the closest one is 25 minutes away so I rarely make the trip.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
H Mart is supposed to be fantastic also. Too bad its way the fuck out in Cedar Park.

It's pretty good but I like 99 Ranch more. Though if you're cooking hotpot, H Mart cuts their lamb/beef really really well for it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I live in CT. There's no good explanation for why the produce sucks, it just does. Whole Foods has good produce, but the closest one is 25 minutes away so I rarely make the trip.
what? how you live on the east coast w/ shit produce? do you have to walk over spent shell casings in order to shop?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Seriously? CT has crazy good farms, they probably have some of the biggest tobacco fields in the country. you honestly cant find some good farmers markets near your home?

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Seriously? CT has crazy good farms, they probably have some of the biggest tobacco fields in the country. you honestly cant find some good farmers markets near your home?

Funny you ask about the farmer's markets. The local one here is only on Wednesdays at like 2pm and for some reason it's tiny as hell with equally haggard produce. I really cannot explain it. I also don't live in Litchfield or Coventry or other farm areas of CT.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
HMart is NOT for the budget minded

I also won't drive 45 minutes to get to H Mart from where I live. Hana Market and MT is reasonable close. Although I do have to ask some people about shit at MT market since their utter lack of organization is super annoying. Here's a bunch of bins of shit imported directly from China, hope you can read mandarin son!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Funny you ask about the farmer's markets. The local one here is only on Wednesdays at like 2pm and for some reason it's tiny as hell with equally haggard produce. I really cannot explain it. I also don't live in Litchfield or Coventry or other farm areas of CT.
thats really odd, i live in a small town near friggin Newark. never had a problem finding produce. farmers markets even in the worst part of Newark. hispanics love them some fresh greens. there's gotta be a reason why you're finding table scraps.

• 1Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I also won't drive 45 minutes to get to H Mart from where I live. Hana Market and MT is reasonable close. Although I do have to ask some people about shit at MT market since their utter lack of organization is super annoying. Here's a bunch of bins of shit imported directly from China, hope you can read mandarin son!

lol its like going to a chinese restraunt and having the "special" off-menu items that are only in chinese. I asked my wife what that shit was she said "It's the shit no American would ever eat". LOL.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
what? how you live on the east coast w/ shit produce? do you have to walk over spent shell casings in order to shop?
I havent got around yet out here but so far west coast has way better produce imo, the only thing that ever looks good is Apples out here in PA.

Also, to the people who are telling Khane to go to the farmers market, that wasnt his point. he was mentioning why poor communities eat processed garbage food over veggies. This is what the better produce selection looks like in my neighborhood.
20190127_202957.jpg

20190127_202900.jpg

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I havent got around yet out here but so far west coast has way better produce imo, the only thing that ever looks good is Apples out here in PA.

Also, to the people who are telling Khane to go to the farmers market, that wasnt his point. he was mentioning why poor communities eat processed garbage food over veggies. This is what the better produce selection looks like in my neighborhood.
View attachment 191642

View attachment 191643

Only if there was some not very complicated way to get tomatoes w/o paying for em

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I dont see what the problem is other than under ripe tomatoes and being ripped off on that broccoli since its 90% stalk.
Finding the deals and traveling around to buy all the shit at different stores isn't worth the time of anyone whose time is worth measuring in dollars.
Except this is the eating on a budget thread. I dont see why you would be browsing this thread if cost isnt a concern to you.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Til need an indoor greenhouse to make tomatoes i must be a fucken wizard
Where does one grow plants with no backyard? A front porch? Well if it's anywhere that's not behind a fence, someones gonna walk away with all your tomatoes while you were at work.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Where does one grow plants with no backyard? A front porch? Well if it's anywhere that's not behind a fence, someones gonna walk away with all your tomatoes while you were at work.

So is that this thread is now? How to eat on a budget if i live in the inner city ghettos (which still have a shit ton of oppurtunity for growing)

My mistake, got confused with all the fancy grocery store talk.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 191642

View attachment 191643
you don't got no Giant or Weiss nearby? brocc for 2.69 on the east coast? where you shopping? i just pulled up my old GIANT in Lancaster and it's 1.39 for brocc crowns.

ALSO, you in PA, you ain't got asian grocer or a mexican one around?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So low income families are supposed to start and establish their own indoor greenhouses now?
no, it costs more to grow fresh than to buy fresh, 100% it is not cost effective, you only grow cuz you want the control