The Eating on a Budget Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
With all this talk about frozen pizza I thought it may be worthwhile to start a thread on something I've been thinking about lately.

What are so good foods or smart ways to spend as little as humanly possible on food but still get nutrients you need. I.e. no only rice diets or venezuala diets. Been doing a lot of rice, ground beef, spinach and canned tuna lately. Show me you food budgeting skills Broz.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Eggs in the morning in an egg cooker. Chicken, rice and veggies cooked in a rice cooker for lunch and dinner. Fast, cheap, healthy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Eggs eggs eggs.

They're cheap. They're easy. They're delicious.

I've eaten a lot of chicken eggs in my life and I have never once thought to myself "Eggs for lunch? Guh, i'm so tired of eggs".

• 2Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Beans can usually be bought dirt-cheap, especially from Aldi. So long as you leave the meat out, chili is very, very inexpensive to make (1 can of tomato soup, 1 can of Mexican-style tomatoes, 1 can of beans, add bell/jalapeno peppers of your choice, spice to taste.) It keeps very well in Tupperware and can be frozen if you don't use all of it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Eggs, oats, carrots, beans, whole chickens (make soup with celery, carrots, onions, seasoning)

• 3Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Buy whole chickens and learn to butcher them. If you don't want to, stick to legs and thighs. Cheaper than breast and better anyway.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Pasta is pretty cheap. You can get a 1lb box for about a dollar or less.

A lot of vegetables are pretty cheap, and you can eat a ton of them.

• 3Like

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Or just grow your own veggies. It's completely self-sustainable. And fuck you for making me say self-sustainable, now I feel like a hippie commie faggot applying to grow veggies for some commune.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Pasta is pretty cheap. You can get a 1lb box for about a dollar or less.

A lot of vegetables are pretty cheap, and you can eat a ton of them.

and for gods sake, don't believe that cheap .20c ramen is cheaper

it's not, it's just easier

.20c ramen is 3oz a packet which is essentially equal to $1 for 16oz of macaroni or whatever spagetti wheat product.

• 2Like

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Damn, you guys delivered. Going shopping tomorrow. Don't know how I feel about growing my own vegs..

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Buy whole chickens and learn to butcher them. If you don't want to, stick to legs and thighs. Cheaper than breast and better anyway.
place by me will occasionally sell chicken quarters 39 cents a pound.
pasta and gravy(sauce) you got a feast for a few bucks.

• 3Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I seriously doubt that you will save much money by growing vegetables, and even if you consider your time worth nothing, It's usually a couple months of growing and a couple weeks of harvesting.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
One of the stores by me regularly has a discounted meat case. Nothing bad in it, just stuff that's a few days away from the sell by. I once bought 40lbs of chicken thighs and legs for $5 out of it. I cleaned them out, took it home, vacuum sealed it. If I were you I'd always swing by and see whats discounted in the meat department, you may end up with a surprise, awesome cheap dinner. As for the chicken? I used the legs for grilling and the thighs for crock pot meals.

Oh, also? Use a crock pot. You can cook some awesome, cheap meals that last for days with a crock pot.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
One of the stores by me regularly has a discounted meat case. Nothing bad in it, just stuff that's a few days away from the sell by. I once bought 40lbs of chicken thighs and legs for $5 out of it. I cleaned them out, took it home, vacuum sealed it. Used the legs for grilling and the thighs for crock pot meals.

Oh, also? Use a crock pot. You can cook some awesome, cheap meals that last for days with a crock pot.
used to have discount meat in jersey, had to literally camp those fucking butchers. They'd put the discount meat out, 1-2 hrs after opening up the store, they'd do inventory and relabel during those 2 hours.

A lot of times, you'd also get the meats that had b1g1 free, and yea ribeye for 2bucks a /lb and grill it that day (or vac u pac). yum.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user