The Elder Scrolls Online

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tangential: I'll be surprised and amazed if any game ever comes close to replicated the stealther vs scout mechanics of shadowbane.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
They should. There is plenty of great things to find in games like Shadowbane and Vanguard despite being failures. Certainly better options than copying WoW for the 18th time. Not like we don't already have a glut of shit clones on the market for people to play for 2 weeks and drop in the recycle bin.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
So I've been hearing great things about the beta. I heard the world is IMMERSIVE and combat is EXCITING. I heard if you preorder now you get an EXCLUSIVE pewter ESO dildo figurine. I'd go out and preorder NOW if I were you.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
The line for this was insane at Pax. They were capping it at 2 hours and people had to come back at the right time to be able to join at the 2 hour mark.

Will try it myself on Monday when the line is less insane, but watching people play for a while the game looked exactly like what you'd expect. Elder scrolls world/graphics style and slightly improved but still godawful combat. There was this cool scorpion "come here" style thing you could do to yank something to you but other than that it was mostly swinging your sword over and over with pretty meh animation and really terrible "I hit the enemy" animation. Obviously it was a basic demo so not going to see the cool abilities, but Dark Souls combat this is not.

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
Hrmm, actually played it for a while (yay for beating the worst of the line when expo hall opened). Combat is a lot more fun than it looked like watching from the outside. You have cool abilities that you unlock for your race or wpn or some other categories. There was a scorpion style "come here!" ability, a knock them on their backside and stun then for a while ability, and a few others available in the playthrough. 3rd person view is very solid whereas it always felt kind of shitty previously. While the quests feel a bit more MMOish it feels a lot more immersive than the standard MMO fare. The things they are asking you to do make sense from a plot perspective and still felt like Elder Scrolls rather than YetAnotherMMO_52.

Overall, the game just felt fun and the combat, while still not fabulous, is significantly better than it was previously. I'm still not sure what the "MMO" part of it brings to the table but everyone was just running around killing stuff at the Pax demo without any need for coordination so it was hard to judge that part.

For a quick comparison, both Wildstar and Elder Scrolls offered 25 minutes of playtime when playing but when trying Wildstar I got bored and left the first time after 10 minutes the first time and then again for 15 as Pax was closing and definitely noticed time passing. With Elder Scrolls the time flew by and I could have easily spent 5 hours playing before wanting to take a break.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I got an invite for the Friday stress test. Are they still just doing the character screen?

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Got an invite myself but wont have time to participate. First person to ask for it can have beta key

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've signed up for all but only been in WotlK and this one. Luck of the draw. I have a very slight inside to Bethesda that I've never once considered tapping. Not zenimax. Not even sure the guys name but he is the brother in law of a close work friend. I just don't like hounding friends for favors.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Must have been sent to my inbox.
smile.png