The Elder Scrolls Online

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Lots of you are stuck in the anti-hype bubble from this forum. It is ESO and coming out on consoles right? It is going to sell a fuckload of boxes.
Console isn't coming out until Fall. When the F2P conversion hits. Until then, PC only at launch.

Caliane

Because SWTOR was actually entertaining up until you started to hit the mid 30's or so. For all the flaws that SWTOR had, it still had a reasonably ok 1-35 path. It's only when you had to face the game's MMO aspects that it really began to fall apart - it was fine as a single player game.
more like EA had deeper pockets.

Most of us called SWTOR fairly mediocre from beta/pre-release. Not awful, etc. just mediocre. And of course pretty notable, we were limited to like level 20. so no one really knew exactly how the high end stuff was going to turn out.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Skyrim sold 4 million copies in the first 2 days. The IP is absurdly strong. I predict this sells at minimum 2 million boxes week 1.
Skyrim isn't an MMO either, in addition to what everyone else has mentioned. And while there have been MMOs break 2 million subs, I do not think that any game has ever sold more than 2m boxes at release, much less in the first week (I don't think WOW did that even?). Someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure. I remember STO breaking 1m in sales, then they steadily lost people and went F2P. Same with WHO, broke 1m then steadily went downhill and now look where they are at.

I'll give you that they'll sell more than they deserve to based on IP alone, but enough to cover their costs by box sales alone? Highly unlikely.

I don't know =( I haven't been following the game closely enough.

I'd say first week # of buys would be good. You said 2 million so let's use that. I bet you a one month avatar bet that it doesn't cross 2 million in the first week.
Done, good sir.

BTW IGN gave SWTOR 9/10 2 weeks after release.
rrr_img_50709.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
People keep pointing at the success of GW2 and SWToR like they weren't great games on the surface. Shit, GW2 was a great game period. You could play it for 10 minutes and be hooked.

Can anyone find a preview anywhere talking about how great TESO is going to be? Even a shitty place like IGN?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'd also like to see blackwulf and Utnayan come to terms on a first week sales amount for an avatar bet. Of course there's a good chance that Blackwulf is a professional shill and will disappear on TESO's release.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I was basing my thoughts on this things success as being driven largely by console, like the rest of the Elder Scrolls series since Morrowind. I mean, you release this PC and Xbox at the same time, it is going to have have 2+ million sales on release day from Xbox alone. Release it on the PC alone, it is going to struggle, and that struggle is going to poison the console sales a few months down the road, because without the NDA to protect it word is going to reach even the legions of console gamers and not even cardboard cutouts in Gamestop or paid reviews will save it.

From what I looked up earlier, 85% of the Skyrim units sold were console. It would almost make sense to just get this thing ready for console and delay the PC release until fall, instead of the other way around. At least that way, you are going to catch millions of fanboys with their pants down and recoup your investment.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone find a preview anywhere talking about how great TESO is going to be? Even a shitty place like IGN?
Preview: Elder Scrolls Online preview: When worlds collide - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

This one almost made me back out of the article entirely:

"This is the crazy part - The Elder Scrolls Online actually looks better than Skyrim. Sunlight streams through haggard canopies, translucent ice glistens, and water froths and ripples"
Also, if PC and console release are separate, bet is invalid. ^_^
The pact has been made; only Tuco can release you from the terms of your agreement.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Is it confirmed that its a months later release for consoles after pc ?

If so they need to figure out a way to change that - it's going to get raped on non paid reviews and be well into F2P land 6 months out.

They need to pump and dump it on all three at once otherwise word will be out to not waste your money on it.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
People keep pointing at the success of GW2 and SWToR like they weren't great games on the surface. Shit, GW2 was a great game period. You could play it for 10 minutes and be hooked.

You have extremely low standards if you think GW2 was a GREAT GAME. You could play it for 10 minutes and literally discover everything that your character would gain even after reaching max level, which would result in extreme disappointment if you spent anymore time with the game.

Or you could spend 10 minutes attacking a door.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, if PC and console release are separate, bet is invalid. ^_^
I haven't even been following it enough to know it's coming out for consoles... I probably wouldn't have made that bet with you if it were being released on ps4/xbone at the same time as PC!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
You have extremely low standards if you think GW2 was a GREAT GAME. You could play it for 10 minutes and literally discover everything that your character would gain even after reaching max level, which would result in extreme disappointment if you spent anymore time with the game.

Or you could spend 10 minutes attacking a door.
In all the characters I've leveled from beta to release I don't remember ever leveling all my weapon skills in ten minutes. Much less even looking at all the skills/traits each class has.

And attacking a door for ten minutes is only something a baddie would do.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Console isn't coming out until Fall. When the F2P conversion hits. Until then, PC only at launch.
You know, on further review, you almost have to be right about F2P. I mean, who the fuck is going to pay an Xbox Live sub fee, and then a ESO fee on top of that?? That is fucking madness of the highest sort, even if this game was as if Velious-era EQ and WoTLK-era WoW were having a lovechild.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
1 box sale of this piece of shit game is 1 too many. I wouldn't play this box of aids for fucking free, as this game makes Neverwinter look like WOW.