The Elder Scrolls Online

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I see absolutely nothing that would get anyone excited about an unlockable skill line for a huge fucking grind to have it diminish once you lose the status.

Paul Sage is a moron.
Really? I've never seen a game with a permanent character power reward for being the 'top' of the server.

I really really like that.

Ya the PVP system blows. That horse has been beaten quite dead. But I'm gonna give them kudos for this feature. Unless of course, the skills are bullshit and watered down with no real use at all.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Psst, It's Ut. The TESO guys raped his mother and took his fathers sword, and never explained the Riddle of Steel to him.

I like this idea, but I'm not sure if its set up in a good way. I'd like a bit more politics versus grind.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Really? I've never seen a game with a permanent character power reward for being the 'top' of the server.

I really really like that.

Ya the PVP system blows. That horse has been beaten quite dead. But I'm gonna give them kudos for this feature. Unless of course, the skills are bullshit and watered down with no real use at all.
Vanilla WoW needed you to grind to #1 ganker to get the best PvP gear. It was a terrible, soul-destroying system that got shitcanned as soon as Blizzard figured it was a retarded idea that only utter fuckwits could like.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
A set of PVP gear that is obsolete in 3-6 months or less, is not the same as a permanent set of character skills.

Not even close.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Vanilla WoW needed you to grind to #1 ganker to get the best PvP gear. It was a terrible, soul-destroying system that got shitcanned as soon as Blizzard figured it was a retarded idea that only utter fuckwits could like.
Fuck the gear, getting grand marshal / high warlord was about the permanent status of dedicating a part of your life to getting it.
Which is an absolute atrocious idea. Great for PRX. Terrible for the game.
When a developer makes a factional PVP system in a game I interpret it as a chance to win a war. And when the reward for winning a war is crowning someone emperor I expect it to be the person who led the most powerful force on the winning side. Not johnny fucking headshot who probably found the best way to farm points off in the corner while being a non-factor.

When Sauron was defeated who was crowned king of humans? Was it legolas? one of the ghost dudes? that horse lord edge look-a-like Eomer? Was it Frodo or Gandalf? No. It was fucking Aragorn, the rightful king of man.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
Not sure if this was posted yet, video describing "why to be excited" about ESO. Oh, and it's serious. I think.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/01/te...s-excited-eso/

Just the way the guy narrated the thing really amused me. When he was describing the "mindblowing" graphics, I thought this was full sarcasm/troll. "In other games all you have to do is just target something and press one of your buttons and it automatically does it, there's really not any skill involved."

tl;dw: graphics, crafting, exploring Tamriel, the developers, it's massive, action combat, the megaserver, customization, alliance v alliance, future content

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
A set of PVP gear that is obsolete in 3-6 months or less, is not the same as a permanent set of character skills.

Not even close.
wtf are you talking about? Vanilla pvp gear lasted a fuckload longer than 3-6 months. Epic pvp gear was graphically very unique and obvious, and the GM/HWL weapons, particularly the two handers, in addition to being instantly recognizable were basically the best weapons in the game. The only things that compared/were better in Vanilla dropped from the bosses of the three raid dungeons, Nefarian, C'Thun, and Kel-Thuzad. I ran the fuck AWAY when I saw a Tauren running around in HWL gear. Vanilla was the last time people actually stood out in WoW, startin with TBC shit are rook same.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the idea of a permanent skill line for being "Emperor" is awesome but the implementation sounds horrible and will have to see how it actually turns out. Also what the skills themselves are.Iirc Aion had some skills gained by grinding to the top ranks, not permanent though, that were semi-decent(think the transformations could be good).

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Not sure if this was posted yet, video describing "why to be excited" about ESO. Oh, and it's serious. I think.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/01/te...s-excited-eso/

Just the way the guy narrated the thing really amused me. When he was describing the "mindblowing" graphics, I thought this was full sarcasm/troll. "In other games all you have to do is just target something and press one of your buttons and it automatically does it, there's really not any skill involved."

tl;dw: graphics, crafting, exploring Tamriel, the developers, it's massive, action combat, the megaserver, customization, alliance v alliance, future content
The comments on the site.....

Quaid

Trump's Staff
wtf are you talking about? Vanilla pvp gear lasted a fuckload longer than 3-6 months. Epic pvp gear was graphically very unique and obvious, and the GM/HWL weapons, particularly the two handers, in addition to being instantly recognizable were basically the best weapons in the game. The only things that compared/were better in Vanilla dropped from the bosses of the three raid dungeons, Nefarian, C'Thun, and Kel-Thuzad. I ran the fuck AWAY when I saw a Tauren running around in HWL gear. Vanilla was the last time people actually stood out in WoW, startin with TBC shit are rook same.
Ah you're probably right... I dunno... I played WoW a LOT back then... I was pretty bleeding edge on the raid scene and I ground out GM on a hunter alt just for the gear... which I replaced in AQ very soon after iirc. Probably gives me a warped view on how long it was 'useful' for.

But still, it wasn't permanent. Rewarding someone such a definition of character over others, I think, is quite bold.

Recalcitrant_sl

shitlord
I think the idea of a permanent skill line for being "Emperor" is awesome but the implementation sounds horrible and will have to see how it actually turns out. Also what the skills themselves are.Iirc Aion had some skills gained by grinding to the top ranks, not permanent though, that were semi-decent(think the transformations could be good).
I have no idea what this site is, or if it's accurate/whatever. But it updated yesterday and shows values for the Emperor/previous emperor skills under "alliance war skills." Looks like just passives so far.
http://eldersouls.com/elder-scrolls-online/skills

rrr_img_56053.png

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Their Emperor skilltree design ilustrates well how they're just a bunch of amateurs when it comes to game design decisions : "hey we're going MASSIVE PVP BITCHES but let's reward one person at a time !" Also as someone said, massive PvP points / score is easily exploitable and you'll end up with people behaving like lab monkeys only to grind Emperor title. And that's only if their skilltree is any useful. They're being so vague about it, it's probably just a bunch of almost useless group buffs and eye candy spells.

Blackwulf

N00b
So, I'm still probably gonna get this game, and I don't think it will be half as bad as some of you say (having played it, I'm sure of this), but I gotta tell you, my normal MMO guild and I have been playing Rust (playrust.com) and so far having far more fun than we have in years on any MMO. I'm wondering if these smaller scale server based games are the way of the future. Full pvp, body loot, your damn body stays in game, sleeping while you are logged out! You build shelters/bases to try to survive situations like that. Sure, it's alpha and buggy, but, man, so much fun.

Sorry for the derail, but I thought it was kind of topical as you guys are talking about meaningful PVP. Shit, try walking through a twilit night on a dark road, and seeing a guy walking toward you with a flashlight mounted M4. All your weapons, food, and resources you are carrying back to your shelter are on your mind as you tentatively say, "friendly?" Lol, gets the blood pumping in a way that MMO pvp hasn't in a long time. Not since MUDs, really.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
So, I'm still probably gonna get this game, and I don't think it will be half as bad as some of you say (having played it, I'm sure of this), but I gotta tell you, my normal MMO guild and I have been playing Rust (playrust.com) and so far having far more fun than we have in years on any MMO. I'm wondering if these smaller scale server based games are the way of the future. Full pvp, body loot, your damn body stays in game, sleeping while you are logged out! You build shelters/bases to try to survive situations like that. Sure, it's alpha and buggy, but, man, so much fun.

Sorry for the derail, but I thought it was kind of topical as you guys are talking about meaningful PVP. Shit, try walking through a twilit night on a dark road, and seeing a guy walking toward you with a flashlight mounted M4. All your weapons, food, and resources you are carrying back to your shelter are on your mind as you tentatively say, "friendly?" Lol, gets the blood pumping in a way that MMO pvp hasn't in a long time. Not since MUDs, really.
Oooooh shit I was thinking of trying this out! You're liking it eh?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Ah you're probably right... I dunno... I played WoW a LOT back then... I was pretty bleeding edge on the raid scene and I ground out GM on a hunter alt just for the gear... which I replaced in AQ very soon after iirc. Probably gives me a warped view on how long it was 'useful' for.
lol, yeah right.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh ok. I thought you were talking about teso and blackwulf, I wanted to face palm :p

Quaid

Trump's Staff
lol, yeah right.
Sadly... I'm not exaggerating. It was a pretty dark time in my life lol. Worked very part time (like 18h/week) as a server at a fine dining restaurant making retarded money... Boring steady relationship with a needy girl so I had no social life... Between degrees so no school to attend... Insomnia...

Lots and lots of warcraft...

Not to mention, my little bro would play my account.