The Elder Scrolls Online

Vilmz_sl

shitlord
These are with every graphical option at max settings and sliders cranked. The weather certainly affects the draw distance, and IMO, a littletoomuch.

ibitNS2f1IzEBS.bmp

iWT55kyJ1SGwD.bmp

iN9rGhpLwPQLV.bmp

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The game looks good environment wise, its when you watch people fighting that it turns bad. I was playing that new DAOC classic server recently and the combat animations literally remind me of that game.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Didn't really mind anything about the art except for the animations and some areas with broken/missing textures. Had fog, but I really didn't notice it while playing more than other games. I probably keep my camera angled down toward the floor more than most- I could see it being a bigger problem where there's not much on the terrain to differentiate from the horizon (your first pic) and from certain angles that highlight the distance (second). There was a draw distance slider that I didn't touch, but it wasn't maxed out to start. I believe there was also an option that would make distant objects specifically blur, like a camera focusing up close.

9L2UIMs.jpg
That chat log sums it up nicely.

For what its worth, my draw distance waswaybetter than that. The engine was hands down the best MMO engine I have experienced, aside from maybe Wow. But then again, the graphics are 1000 times better than WoW, too.

Solid, consistently high frame-rates on Ultra.
Beautiful environmental graphics and shaders.
Ran smooth as fucking butter even in huge cities with tons of people running around.

Rendering wise their engineers hit it out of the park. And I have far from a state-of-art system. The problem with the game is its difficulty and overall mediocrity. Oh, and the animations of course. All of the bugs I experienced were either script or server-related.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I was getting consistent 40-50 FPS on my i5 ivy and 5850 AMD card... When in an enclosed space like a dungeon, it was even better.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey guys, 2002 called and they want their draw distance back
Hey, your screenshots are from heavily modded versions of Morrowind, not the 2002 vanilla one :

- First pic : MGSO mod or some other mod pack working on draw distance, water, tree textures, etc.

- Second pic :Infinite draw distance mod.

- Third pic :Morrowind Graphics Extender.

If you want to have legit TESO / Morrowind comparison we should wait 10 years and then mod TESO to see how it goes. Nobody's gonna wait 10 years for that.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Hey, your screenshots are from heavily modded versions of Morrowind, not the 2002 vanilla one :

- First pic : MGSO mod or some other mod pack working on draw distance, water, tree textures, etc.

- Second pic :Infinite draw distance mod.

- Third pic :Morrowind Graphics Extender.

If you want to have legit TESO / Morrowind comparison we should wait 10 years and then mod TESO to see how it goes. Nobody's gonna wait 10 years for that.
Just think how good morrowind will look in ten years!

Vanilla Morrowind had shit draw distance
morrowind_031502_003.jpg

It was so bad I thought the game was broken the last time I played it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Since TESO can't be modded I think in 10 years morrowind would look even better. Not really relevant though since this is a mmo. Their fog looks too foggy though, clear day screenshots seem to look ok but as soon as it's foggy weather or whatever, can't see shit. I mean that's the fog concept but since it looks like the shitty "we can't draw that so let's hide it" fog, it's pretty bad.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You can still make meaningful progress "solo", especially with the advent of things like LFR.
Interesting that you consider LFR being "solo". I wouldn't absolutely disagree, but you evade my question:

Do you think a game that is called a Massively Multiplayer Game should be mainly played solo? Not that you can make one playable solo (although in my opinion, it's basically calling poker a game of spider solitaire), but one that is played mainly solo?

The game gives you the option to play solo,
So, the game puts you big glowing yellow ! over people's heads (WoW), it puts big character counters in the middle of your screen (apparently TESO), tallies your current quest steps on the right of the screen (every game since... AoC?), and it's not telling you to do quests? Do you need a gravelly voiceover slowly announcing "By. The. Way. Quests. Are. The. Main. Progression. Path. In. This. Game"?

Note: In WoW, the game gives you the option as a hunter to level from 1 to 60 using only grey items without any ranged attack. People have done it, so it is an option. Do you consider that playing WoW as a melee hunter in greys is a valid way of playing the game as well?
I've already explained why most people choose the solo option.
And I don't disagree. Creating a group entails costs (which is why Blizzard wrote a LFR tool which attempted to negate those, and which is the best thing since sliced bread, except for unfortunate consequences that stem chiefly from the dungeons themselves, not the tool, but I'm wandering off to a tangent and so, let's head back), and creates risks that you don't control (the other members of the group), risks which you overvalue since, by nature, people tend to overestimate risks over which they have no control. So, for grouping to be interesting, the carrot has to be bigger than doing other things (and that includes "not playing the game").

None of this answers my question: Given that questing and solo stuff is much better in single player games, why do we need a bad-to-average single player game in the middle of a Massively Multiplayer one? And why should I be forced to play one because the incentives laid by the game designers are stacked against group play which I would like to do?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Eh, grinding mobs in EQ was fun. The operative word being "was." I don't think I could go back to it, but I remember enjoying it until AA became a thing. AA grinding just took that shit too far. It was the poison pill that over time turned something enjoyable into a chore.
One: It was an endless carrot. Except for maybe a couple persons here and there, you couldn't "finish" the AA. Which made it a frustrating goal; you could imagine yourself downing "one day" the baddass bosses of EQ, but unlike levels, youknewyou'd never finish the AAs.

Two: AA came out of XP, XP was fungible, so, instead of having a clear goal "ok, I need this, so I need to go there and kill that", you had the nebulous "ok, what's the most XP/hour I can get today?". And the most XP/hour was often the most boring rather than the most challenging.

(the same problem arose later with WoW heroic dungeons, once badges/valor came to be. Rather than challenge, people sought out "how can I the most Valor/hour")

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
As per somewhere next week, EQ will have the feature that any character that goes gold (even if only for a single month) will get all AA autogranted(as your level allows) up till the 4th latest expansion, in this case House of Thule. That can amount to thousands of AA. So from level 51 onwards your AA will start to auto fillup if you are gold. If you are already level 85 and have 200 AA, you will now have like 7k AA instead when you go gold for a month. If you go back to silver you keep those AA (but can not earn more AA unless you buy a huge amount of AA uncappers). When a new expack comes out, you will get the AA from what has then become the 5th latest expansion.

This was a shameless plug for EQ, but I think the word needs to come out.

Back to TESO!

Gecko_sl

shitlord
All these freebies and AAs and yet P99 remains 1000 times more fun than EQ Live...

My hope is in a few months I won't be thinking Skyrim is more fun than TESO...

Carl_sl

shitlord
but skyrim IS more fun than TESO, the quests are better, combat is better, there are soo many more dungeons to explore? Best part about skyrim is finding some new huge dwarven city to explore. I enjoyed TESO quite a bit but I already know it's never gonna be skyrim good.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Just think how good morrowind will look in ten years!

Vanilla Morrowind had shit draw distance
morrowind_031502_003.jpg

It was so bad I thought the game was broken the last time I played it.
Still a work in progress, but:

They have the world recreated as of December I believe. Now they're repopulating it with all the NPCs and creatures. You just have to own Skyrim and Morrowind for the mod to work.

So Morrowind, in a way, does look pretty amazing after 10 years!
smile.png

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I never understood the desire to port old games to new engines. The amount of work you'd have to spend creating a version someone would rather play than the original would be better spent doing something like Nehrim.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I never understood the desire to port old games to new engines. The amount of work you'd have to spend creating a version someone would rather play than the original would be better spent doing something like Nehrim.
Making an original world means a lot more original stuff. You have to layout every castle, village, dungeon, and tree instead of copying a blueprint. Also more voice actors, lore, etc. They probably also chose it because it's a smaller project than making an original world(but still massive), and they love Morrowind and want people who haven't experienced it to do so, just with more modern graphics (I'm going to admit that I tried to play Morrowind saying "the graphics don't matter"...but it mattered and I couldn't stick it out more than a few hours.)