The Elder Scrolls Online

Menion_sl

shitlord
Just for clarification, the NDA is not lifted on the closed beta server content. You can't release anything about what is on the PTS that is different from the public beta server.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I'm sure there's a whole group of Devs right now huddled around the computer, reading this thread, laughing their asses off at how hard they've been trolling Ut.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I haven't updated TESO Junkies in like 5 months. I don't know why you think I care about this game other than if it'll be fun to play or not.

signati_sl

shitlord
Seeing the amount of 'ifs' in your post is trouble, especially if you're trying to explain how something works with regards to PvP. Not a criticism, just a worry.
Those "ifs" are more about what a guild chooses to do than is lucky or unlucky enough to do. So long as their home campaign is set during the time period they'll normally play in, they can see an indicator of the population of each alliance in that instance, at that time, and select appropriately. The "then" part of those "ifs" is worrying to me too.

The rest of that post... I'm not sure. The stance I'm pigeonholed into taking is that I'll have to train newcomers to MMOs and the newer style players (even experienced ones), and for that I'll be simultaneously despised and followed. If it weren't for that aspect, then there would be something else that does the same. That's just how it goes when you try to build a functional guild from scratch. I'll probably take more opposition than some because I'm more tolerant than many when it comes to people learning how to play. Rather than boot people from PvP raids who don't listen, I'll just let them die repeatedly, wait for them to call me out in general chat, and embarrass them for their zerg tactics.

But will it work in the long run? I don't know. Currently, there's such hype for the game that those willing to work for success and learn outnumber the rest in guild interest, but not raid interest or general chat. My choices will be to avoid those who zerg (not very nice) or treadmill a bit. And that is definitely a problem. People coming from WoW who want to translate their past experience into leadership may easily get more discouraged than people who have led in past games, and while ZMO grows their market by appealing to single player fanatics from The Elder Scrolls, if they don't grow the body of people willing to lead then there will be difficulty ahead.

Right now, there's a bit of an attitude out there that leadership itself confers some prize or advantage rather than just more work for the sake of one day running with a good team. There's a little more than healthy attitude of questioning authority where players don't understand that experience, dedication, and work don't translate to authority but rather good-natured assistance. The optimistic crowd says that all of this will correct itself with time, as people learn. The pessimistic crowd says that learning is too much work and people will give up. I don't know who is correct. Time will tell.

Hopefully Cyrodiil instances will begin to be listed based on the playstyles they're meant for. That would be a huge help for everybody.

edit:

Just for clarification, the NDA is not lifted on the closed beta server content. You can't release anything about what is on the PTS that is different from the public beta server.
That has been adhered to incredibly well. What little there is of an impression is mostly rumor based on apparent leaks, which is a far cry from actual leaks. My only point in referencing the adventure zones is that those hold the potential to maintain interest among more skeptical and more experienced players; especially with a long MMO background. ZMO surely knows that, so hopefully they won't go half ass on that content. If they do, then it would be a huge mistake.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
PTS testers can give general impressions of the stuff still covered by the NDA.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I wouldn't take that bet.
You obviously have far more experience with the game than me ,but I was thinking the same. My guess is big push with PC sales , subs fall off good bit but they keep it sub based till console launch (isn't that this summer) , sub for at least one month after that , then F2P.

I was guessing F2P before the holidays begin (early Oct or so) if it does launch on the consoles this summer.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
You obviously have far more experience with the game than me ,but I was thinking the same. My guess is big push with PC sales , subs fall off good bit but they keep it sub based till console launch (isn't that this summer) , sub for at least one month after that , then F2P.

I was guessing F2P before the holidays begin (early Oct or so) if it does launch on the consoles this summer.
Sounds about right.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
In fact, I am willing to put a little wager on it. If I win, you get the fuck off this forum and never mod again. If I lose, I'll high tail it out of here..
Or nobody leaves because that would be silly either way...

It's not that big of a deal. You've only been like 50% right lately dude... dont be surprised people are vocally skeptical of your infoz if you continually insist on shoving them down everyone's throats.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I was speaking personally - as in my (and my guild's) reason for leaving. They DID make a lot of promises in interviews leading up to release about Ilum, and none of it was delivered. The instanced battle matches couldn't keep my guild's interest - you can only play Huttball so many times...
I'm not talking about Huttball and the PvP in SWTOR was simply horrible, but you're still not acknowledging that SWTOR was sold and marketed asa story gamenot PvP focused. It was always about dialogue and choice and Mass Effect style play. They didn't lie about that one bit, and most of the people who played TOR played it exactly for that. Why do you think there were 500k subs AFTER it went F2P? Most of those people want story, raiding and class play.. most of the PvPers had long gone.

Sure they made promises about Ilum but all games do that and break them, especially regarding PvP. But they never said Ilum was the focus of TOR. Think about how many broken promises a PvP centered game like Warhammer was supposed to fill and didn't. But the point is that game was never focused as a PvP product and anyone who's big complaint about TOR is the PvP is picking at a small scab.

Again, ESO will be based solely on it's PvP which is why no one is making any big deal about it now other than saying it's PvE is boring. You don't see anyone up in arms even though by most accounts it's weak, and that's because most of the players going in already know.. this game is being sold and marketed as a three-faction PvP WvW game ala DAOC, by the guy who made DAOC.

That's why I say I believe thatifthis game does fail, it will because they failed on their main promise.. repeat.. main.. thatPvP will be great. They didn't promise anyone that the PvE or dungeons will be great, so no one gives a shit about that stuff overall.

I think the game will be okay after it goes F2P in the same way TOR was; the hardcore fans will stay to PvP, some casual interested people will sub for a month or two to see how it is when they don't have to buy a box, and they will have probably paid a good portion of the costs back since they own the IP (no fees), which is what hurt TOR more than anything I think.

There also isn't any other PvP/WvW game coming out soon that I can recall that can give them any real challenge for customers, so they just have to hang onto those PvPers and let the PvEers walk.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
PVP actually looks really good. I was planning on just messing around with the PVE, but the game might have better legs than thought.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Changing campaigns costs enough alliance points that your average hour or two a day player won't have enough to move often. If people move their home campaign too much, then it gets more expensive; easy fix. If the guilds that have been around for a while get a well-populated map then the zerg will scramble it every day at peak traffic. If they don't, then anybody who blunders into their campaign will spam lfg until they get a pickup or get slotted to go take resources.

For people to get annoyed with the ancient pro guilds steamrolling them, they'd have to be capable of figuring out that's happening. After last beta session it's hard not to be cynical about the zergtards. I'm not sure they'll figure out much of anything going on behind the scenes if it's not pointed out to them, and even then they'll argue about it. Whether they lose too much will have more to do with timing than anything else. Join a campaign when your alliance is maxed out, and you got a fight. Jump into one that only has your alliance on board when you're not, and you get run over.

For everything beyond that, they'll learn. Eventually.
I guess we'll find out. Meanwhile here's what happened in GW2 when one side overpowered the other. They (RUIN in this case) spent maybe 50 man hours worth of gold building up siege weapons just to form a glorious wall to keep the invaders out. In the minimap you can see the spawn point of the opposing side.
rrr_img_60365.jpg

Typically when we won the fight we'd completely stop playing and take a break/level our guys / train / try new strats etc etc. But the majority of people want to be in the winner's column more than they want a good fight or to earn the victory.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
90 day campaigns are completely retarded

Remember Warhammer and all the PVD? Stupidly large maps / spreading people out isn't going to encourage good PVP. People are going to move where you aren't and take that. If you're 20 minutes away then, well go PVD it back.

If the shitty combat doesn't get you those other two will wear you down.

Very few will take an ass pounding for 3 months and if GW2 showed anything there is no such thing as a fair fight. Most victory margins were in the blow out category. This will be no different the pain will just be extended longer.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
90 day campaigns are completely retarded.
That can't be etched in stone, can it? Seems like that would only work in an "ideal" setting with "ideal" PvP players.

Why do they keep making PvP games with the thought that people will play them exactly like they played 10 years ago?

mrmoneda_sl

shitlord
That can't be etched in stone, can it?
The beta weekend campaigns were ~2 days. They can change the lengths to whatever they want I figure. It remains to be seen how quickly they'll react if/when they see something isn't working out right, in regards to campaign length or anything else.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
PVP actually looks really good. I was planning on just messing around with the PVE, but the game might have better legs than thought.
That actually is one of the better screenshots I've seen that sells me on it being worth it for a couple months of PVP at least.